Caution Darkside riders, I dropped my ST-1300

Rineyville, KY (summer) Hernando Beach, FL (winter
I am not new to the Darkside, but I recently mounted a CT on my ST and got into a situation where if it was a MT the bike might not have tipped over. As I pulled to the side of the road to park the bike on the grass, I slowly rode over a concrete curbing at an angle (I've done this many times with a MT on the back of many bikes). The only contact with the concrete gutter/curb was the left corner of the tire. I shouldn't have stopped, because the bike started leaning to the right and down it went. No harm done because I have homemade footrests mounted on the front protector bars and the covers have been removed. The bike was laying on its side with the tires slightly higher than the seat. Good thing the gas tanks were almost empty, otherwise getting it upright would have been more of a strain. Next time I will cross the curbing in a perpendicular fashion.
http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww249/Yenir/110920STandcurb.jpg.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Yup, that is the biggest downside to the darkside...uneven pavement at very low speeds. I'm always carefull when going on and off the edge of pavement. I've warned about uneven pavement. Higher speeds seem to have less effect. But of course we wouldn't be going on curbs at higher speeds...LOL.

Jim

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
There is another downside but it only pertains to the 1100. I will post something there too if I can remember.
1100 Darksiders, be aware that the diameter of the tire is a bit smaller than the stocker so the bike stands up straighter on the side stand. Make syre you find a parking spot where the pavement falls to the left. I forgot that rule last evening on the way down to ArkanSTOC.
Anybody have a Wineberry right mirror cover? :D

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Dropped mine on one of those French curbs when backing in at an angle, kinda dumb on my part really. So, no biggie, I know not to do it again. Uneven pavement at slow speeds is a nuisance, but you learn how to handle it.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Not again!! I hope you didnt get hurt again!! lol
Yes and no. It did happen again but I was unscathed this time. I keep forgetting to make sure the stand is on a surface that slopes away from the bike.:eek:: The CT is even worse than the PR2 for making the 1100 stand up straighter.
The good thing is I am starting to be like George in that it's just another tip over, what's the big deal? I will get my stand shortened soon and it will stop happening.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Now we need to work on shorting that side stand!!!
I also need to see if there is any MEK at work. You know, methylethylketone. It dissolves ABS plastic and when you make a past of ABS bits and MEK, you can weld parts back together.:D

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
I also need to see if there is any MEK at work. You know, methylethylketone. It dissolves ABS plastic and when you make a past of ABS bits and MEK, you can weld parts back together.:D
Hope you guys are updating your tipover statis figures....or do you start over with the Darkside ? lol I busted the lower knuckle mount on the inside of my mirrior once and came up with this fix.
First I "welded" the broken gusset and knuckle back together with Super Glue, which smoked abit while holding it. After regaining conscienceness and allowing time for it to cure (a day) I backed it up with
construction adhesive (liquid nails) It appears stronger than before it broke off now. I wouldnt wiff that big name stuff either...must be hard to find.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I will look you up next time. I was just there in July. My daughter is in LA. I had a nice ride with Ken Z. one day.

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
I will look you up next time. I was just there in July. My daughter is in LA. I had a nice ride with Ken Z. one day.
Yeah do that. My Daughter lives in San Diego. LOTS and Lots of really memerable rides to do around here. Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Fran, Alices...on and on.
And winter months can be ok at times too. Did yah ride out here?

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Yes. I went with Bob Donaldson and Gary/ ST-Traveler, from Ohio. We went west from NatSTOC to the Oregon coast. I left them there and had to get to Shasta Lake and have Russel adjust my seat. The ride I made with Ken was fun. I did stumble on Decker Canyon Road. That was a blast. In my ignorance tho, I didn't hit the Rock Store or any of the other roads that were in the area. I was headed to Ventura to drop in in old work mates so i didn't do as much exploring as I could have. Next time for sure.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You guys are killing me. I am seriously considering joining you dark siders, but I already drop my bike more often than the tides change directions! Mark, setting the TO count at 100 is a great start, but if I go dark side... Mellow is going to need to add extra digits to the counter!
at 999, you just start over.

Top Bottom