Cell Phone Emergency SOS

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The article mentions that an Apple Watch must be near a (paired) iPhone to make an SOS call. This is true only of GPS-only watches. Those with the cellular radio option don't need an iPhone at all.

Since Series 4 and SE watches have a Fall Detection feature which will start a countdown when a fall is detected. It gives the wearer the opportunity to cancel the countdown to automatically making an SOS/911 call. If no cancelation is made or movement detected it makes the call. It can be set up to notified family or ICE peeps as well. There have been some false alarms since this isn't a perfect world. But it's also helped a lot of people.

With Series 8 and the new SE Watches along with the iPhone 14 and 14 Pro Apple has implemented Crash Detection. This feature differs slightly from Fall Detection based (I believe) on direction of movement among other metrics. The new hardware included an additional sensor to help make a crash determinations. It will make the call unless cancelled by the user. Not much data in on that feature yet as it's pretty new.

The iPhone as SAT phone isn't out yet and is really more of a SPOT type device and not a SAT phone. Because it needs clear sky and to be aimed - its use by an unconscious person remains to be clarified. With cell coverage I'd think it would be business as usual. There may not be an auto-SOS mode if there's no cell service. More will be known once the feature/update is released.

Like almost every piece of gear it's not perfect. But for some people it's been the best thing since sliced bread.

Another nice feature of somewhat newer watches (or maybe is all with a newer watchOS) is the watch's dialing the emergency number of whatever country you're in. I.E. a Yank in the UK dials 911 and the watch or iPhone dials 999. Or 111/112/000 etc for wherever you are. Android may do the same – I dunno.

As safety gear goes most people will make their own decisions. Like anything else others will try and make them for you. :rofl1:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
The Klim AI1 Airbag vest if deployed, will send alerts if paired with your phone - It will give exact GPS coordinates as well.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The Klim AI1 Airbag vest if deployed, will send alerts if paired with your phone - It will give exact GPS coordinates as well.
Apple kit does that as well. One anecdotes was about a 60+ yo man riding a bicycle who slipped off the road and down an embankment losing consciousness. While lights out his watch called 911 and told dispatch where he was and called his son. An ambo picked him up and when the guy woke up he was in hospital with is son at his bedside.

Apple has a great commercial about the watch being used in three emergencies. It didn't mention the watch provides coordinates but anybody can see how knowing exactly where a victim is can make the difference in an outcome.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
A couple of years ago I was riding a road in the Coastal Range of Oregon east of Pacific City, and after about 10 miles I thought to myself, "If I go off the road here and injure myself, I'm dead." I hadn't seen another car in miles, it was heavily wooded with steep drop offs and no guard rails. Neither my GPS or cell phone had any signal.

When my wife would get around to filing a missing person report and they'd start the search they'd find my cell signal blinking out of contact and then start the scouring the shoulder for signs of a crash. I could've been cougar scat long before that.

I'm thinking there's a SPOT or inReach in my future if I keep exploring these roads that are nearly in my backyard.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
A couple of years ago I was riding a road in the Coastal Range of Oregon east of Pacific City, and after about 10 miles I thought to myself, "If I go off the road here and injure myself, I'm dead." I hadn't seen another car in miles, it was heavily wooded with steep drop offs and no guard rails. Neither my GPS or cell phone had any signal.

When my wife would get around to filing a missing person report and they'd start the search they'd find my cell signal blinking out of contact and then start the scouring the shoulder for signs of a crash. I could've been cougar scat long before that.

I'm thinking there's a SPOT or inReach in my future if I keep exploring these roads that are nearly in my backyard.
I don't think SPOT or inReach would work if GPS isn't working... they all use satellites, correct?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Apple kit does that as well. One anecdotes was about a 60+ yo man riding a bicycle who slipped off the road and down an embankment losing consciousness. While lights out his watch called 911 and told dispatch where he was and called his son. An ambo picked him up and when the guy woke up he was in hospital with is son at his bedside.

Apple has a great commercial about the watch being used in three emergencies. It didn't mention the watch provides coordinates but anybody can see how knowing exactly where a victim is can make the difference in an outcome.
I read about the Apple gps tracking - the only thing I dislike about it is that it utilizes the Globalstar satellite network the same as what SPOT uses. I wish it used the Iridium network such as the InReach devices do. The Iridium network has better coverage at least as I have experience having used both networks.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

You are not kidding about that. I live right off Highway 1 on the Pacific Coast. Cars and bikes go off the cliffs all the time and several have not been found for a long time even in fairly high traffic areas.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Of course, if you go off a steep enough cliff, you're dead any way.
It's just how long it takes to find the body - if ever.
There are places in the Blue Ridge if you ran off they would never find you - too far down in a boxed in ravine.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
WOW, such positive messages here! o_O

Going across the Nevada Desert, you ride where NO ONE is seen for 50 miles or so. I do worry when riding across I don't come across any more wild horses. At least I was in my truck last time and that I was still able to drive it the 100 miles home.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You are not kidding about that. I live right off Highway 1 on the Pacific Coast. Cars and bikes go off the cliffs all the time and several have not been found for a long time even in fairly high traffic areas.
But most of the links above are to specific hardware - late model GPS's linked to newer cell phones, emergency beacons, or the latest and greatest Apple phone or watch. Without said equipment, someone can drift off the road in many places and not be found for days or weeks.
I could've been cougar scat long before that.
Remember that joke about the difference between Grizzly and Black bear scat?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
But most of the links above are to specific hardware - late model GPS's linked to newer cell phones, emergency beacons, or the latest and greatest Apple phone or watch. Without said equipment, someone can drift off the road in many places and not be found for days or weeks.

Remember that joke about the difference between Grizzly and Black bear scat?
You mean the one about the Grizzly bear having little bells in it?

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Of course, if you go off a steep enough cliff, you're dead any way.
It's just how long it takes to find the body - if ever.
There are places in the Blue Ridge if you ran off they would never find you - too far down in a boxed in ravine.
Whats that joke? The bears will get you before the emt’s?

Top Bottom