Cell Phone Mounting Brackets

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Rather than a bracket, I have a cell phone pouch that clips onto the bracket for my gps. The pouch has a flap with velcro.

Ray

OP
OP

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I don't have a picture that shows mine too well.

Here is a picture of a similar one.

It can be clipped onto an existing bracket or zip tied to just about anything. Let your imagination run wild. ;)

Ray

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It is usually off or in a bag out of sight but occasionally I am expecting a call or text message while riding. In this instance I place the phone on vibrate and put it in an inside pocket where I can feel in vibrate against me when the call comes in. I can't answer but at least I know to start looking for a place to stop.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
My cell phone mount? My pocket, turned OFF! Who wants to be bothered while riding?

I used to think the same thing. When I got the Autocom installed, I looked at the provided cable, I looked at my cell phone. Oh what the heck, I like to tinker and have few minutes to play, let's see if this works?

It has proven fantastic to be able to take calls when riding. On several occasions other riders that I am meeting up with several hours away have been able to call me to find out where I am, if I'm running late, early, whatever. It makes coordination easy. There have been a couple rides where we got separated, beyond the range of the 2-way radio. No problem, no need to stop and wait or pull off to answer the (missed) call.

Why would anyone not want to take a call from a family member? It might be very important.

My general rule is to not give my cell phone number to anyone I would rather not hear from. That resolves the issue of getting unwanted calls when riding.

Ray

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I used to think the same thing. When I got the Autocom installed, I looked at the provided cable, I looked at my cell phone. Oh what the heck, I like to tinker and have few minutes to play, let's see if this works?

It has proven fantastic to be able to take calls when riding. On several occasions other riders that I am meeting up with several hours away have been able to call me to find out where I am, if I'm running late, early, whatever. It makes coordination easy. There have been a couple rides where we got separated, beyond the range of the 2-way radio. No problem, no need to stop and wait or pull off to answer the (missed) call.

Why would anyone not want to take a call from a family member? It might be very important.

My general rule is to not give my cell phone number to anyone I would rather not hear from. That resolves the issue of getting unwanted calls when riding.

Ray
Ray,
I just got a new Active Plus. Never used the phone on my old Autocom, but thinking I will with this one. Do you plug the phone in and set it to "auto answer"? Does the phone have to be accessible(sp?), or can I leave it in my pocket? I'm thinking along the same lines as you. Sometimes the wife calls wanting my ETA and if I do this I won't have to stop.
Thanks!

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Do you plug the phone in and set it to "auto answer"? Does the phone have to be accessible(sp?), or can I leave it in my pocket?
Different phones behave differently. My old LG VX8100 worked really good. I just leave the AUTO ANSWER on all the time. It only auto answers if the cable is plugged in. If it is set to auto answer AND in vibrate mode (hold the * key), it will ring in my helmet and answer in a couple rings.

My newer LG VX8500 (LG Chocolate) doesn't have an auto answer feature. :( I think I will have this problem solved when my zumo 550 arrives. I will be able to utilize the bluetooth features of the phone and gps and the universe will be back in synch.

YMMV as I imagine other phones have different features and behavior.

Ray

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
You can do whatever you want, but for myself, I hate cel phone cagers and their non-existent attention.

Since several surveys have concluded that driving under the influence of a cel phone yields the same accident rate as driving under the influence of alcohol, I won't, under any circumstances, jeopordize lives by using the cel on the bike. In my cage I give the phone to SWAMBO or find a place to park.

gonzo

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
You can do whatever you want, but for myself, I hate cel phone cagers and their non-existent attention.

Since several surveys have concluded that driving under the influence of a cel phone yields the same accident rate as driving under the influence of alcohol, I won't, under any circumstances, jeopordize lives by using the cel on the bike. In my cage I give the phone to SWAMBO or find a place to park.

gonzo
I agree with you 100%, however those same surveys will also show that adjusting the dash controls (i.e. radios, climate controls, putting in a cd, playing with the GPS, talking on the Autocom, plus many others ) all distract from the task of driving. Be safe!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

gonzo
+1

I have a friend with Bluetooth and he takes calls and makes calls from the bike. I don't agree with this, distracted cagers are bad enough. It takes too much effort to ride safely in traffic on a bike much less talking on a phone. Might as well toss back a few beers as well and leave the helmet at home.

I use a belt holster (plastic type, phone clips into it) that I bought on ebay. Check to see if there's one available for your phone. I used plastic tie straps to secure the belt clip portion to the clutch master cylinder area.
This is my old phone, which I use as an mp3 player. I like to be able to see the screen easily while riding.
I have ordered another one for my current phone (Blackberry, pearl) which I intend to attach to the front brake master cylinder in the same manner. I use this for reading the ocassional txt or email, or gps maps (stopped of course)The screen is pretty small for maps!
Next option will be a system that I can tie them both into plus rider to passenger communication. Any ideas?

metro

DSCN1726_640x480.JPG

DSCN1727_640x480.JPG

DSCN1728_640x480.JPG

My $400 Belstaff jacket came with a cell phone holder....But it only works for long slim cell phones, so I had to put it in a different pocket.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #

gonzo
I agree with you 100%, however those same surveys will also show that adjusting the dash controls (i.e. radios, climate controls, putting in a cd, playing with the GPS, talking on the Autocom, plus many others ) all distract from the task of driving. Be safe!
+1

I have a friend with Bluetooth and he takes calls and makes calls from the bike. I don't agree with this, distracted cagers are bad enough. It takes too much effort to ride safely in traffic on a bike much less talking on a phone. Might as well toss back a few beers as well and leave the helmet at home.

I think there's a time and place for everything. You have to have the common sense to know when. Stop and go traffic: No. Out cruising some little back road with no one around: Maybe. I personally would want the option. Hear the ring, see who's calling, decide if I need to talk to them right then and there. If you do answer, keep it short and to the point. I don't think anybody here is planning on a 6 hour "Whatcha up to?" conversation. I think most of us would be a quick "Here's my ETA", "You're stuck, Bill? I'm on my way.", "Little Timmy's fallen into the well?" sort of things. Quick and done....the safe way. When the BDC's get going, they're discussing everything and nothing for hours at a time. Not safe.

Top Bottom