Chain alignment

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
I've been struggling with how to align my chain since I'm having a heck of a time seeing the marks. Someone on another forum suggested a laser tool and my peanut sized brain when to work. I have a Crimson Trace rail laser for a Glock that fits nicely into the open area on the sprocket and aligns with the edge of the chain. Weird huh?

TPadden

Tom Padden
Pull the trigger and if the chain falls off you're good to go! You are getting weirder and weirder, but always entertaining.

Tom

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've been struggling with how to align my chain since I'm having a heck of a time seeing the marks. Someone on another forum suggested a laser tool and my peanut sized brain when to work. I have a Crimson Trace rail laser for a Glock that fits nicely into the open area on the sprocket and aligns with the edge of the chain. Weird huh?
Looking at a picture of that bike, the swingarm has aluminum adjusting blocks, right?? In the past I've used a dial caliper to measure the distance from the end of the swingarm to each block. Don't know how identical the length of each side of the swingarm is, or how identical the block dimensions are, but its probably close enough. I'm not suggesting that you need the accuracy of the dial caliper in the first, place, but its a convenient way to measure it if you happen to have one. Also, I don't know how much tolerance there is for optimum chain alignment, but once you get them even with this measurement then you can just count turns on the screws for all subsequent adjustments.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
That will work. All you are looking for is a straight line reference between that face of the rear sprocket and the side of the chain. The marks are very often not accurate once you find a good way to take a long view of it. Laser is perfect and even the MotionPro rod type is much better than the stock hash marks.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
In the old days we would take a string and line it up with the edges of the back tire sidewall extending forward past the front tire. While sighting down the string to make sure it is coming off the rear tire straight and then measure the distance between the edge of the front tire sidewall(front and back of the tire to make sure the forks are straight) to the string. Do this on both sides to insure the front and rear tires are tracking straight as this is more important than a very slight chain misalignment. You would be surprise at how far off that wheels can be misaligned even with proper aligning chain adjusters. Honda's were pretty close and Kawasaki's were terrible years back. Not sure how things are now.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The marks on the axle blocks are pretty close.. I don't think you have to be all that precise with this... I have one of those motion pro bar things and it works well enough. lined up once I matched the marks on the blocks.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
A nice tip I received that made life easy on my son's little ninja was to just align the rear wheel until the chain is "centered" on the rear sprocket width, which means after a few rotations the sides of the chain are centered and not touching the sides of the sprocket if that makes sense.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
A nice tip I received that made life easy on my son's little ninja was to just align the rear wheel until the chain is "centered" on the rear sprocket width, which means after a few rotations the sides of the chain are centered and not touching the sides of the sprocket if that makes sense.
Yep, makes good sense..

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
To me, the most important thing is that the rear wheel points straight toward the front wheel. A pair of straight sticks held to the sides of the rear wheel with a clamp or two, equidistant from the sides of the front wheel, makes it so.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
In the old days we would take a string and line it up with the edges of the back tire sidewall extending forward past the front tire. While sighting down the string to make sure it is coming off the rear tire straight and then measure the distance between the edge of the front tire sidewall(front and back of the tire to make sure the forks are straight) to the string. Do this on both sides to insure the front and rear tires are tracking straight as this is more important than a very slight chain misalignment. You would be surprise at how far off that wheels can be misaligned even with proper aligning chain adjusters. Honda's were pretty close and Kawasaki's were terrible years back. Not sure how things are now.
Lots of bikes have an intentional offset between the front and rear wheels. Harley and BMW for two. BMW K and R bikes are offset in different directions. They run parallel, but not inline. There are measuring systems like GMD Computrack that can measure for parallel and axial misalignment of the swingarm and headstock. The reason you are doing chain alignment is not to fix handling and tracking ills, but to assure that the chain rides properly in the sprockets and does not wear faster because of misalignment. If you want to do that by pulling a string, check for same distance between the axle centerline and swingarm pivots on both sides.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The Motion Pro alignment tool works well for this but I most of the time but now I just line up one side of the chain like a gun sight. Easy and quick.

Put a piece of something like a piece of wood broomstick or the handle of an old screwdriver on top of the lower run of the chain and turn the wheel to pull the wood against the sprocket, between chain and sprocket. This pulls the top run of the chain straight. Peer down the upper run from behind, like sighting a gun, and you’ll easily see even a slight curve down the upper run. This aligns the chain sprocket to sprocket regardless of wheel or frame misalignment and doubles to pull the rear wheel against the chain adjusters taking out all the slack.

OP
OP
Coop

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Pull the trigger and if the chain falls off you're good to go! You are getting weirder and weirder, but always entertaining.

Tom
It's not on the Glock. That Glock is long gone. Are you sure you went to that Navy school with the goat? You are beginning to sound like Gunny Larsen. psst…..he lives in Florida too. Maybe that's it.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Lots of bikes have an intentional offset between the front and rear wheels. Harley and BMW for two. BMW K and R bikes are offset in different directions. They run parallel, but not inline. There are measuring systems like GMD Computrack that can measure for parallel and axial misalignment of the swingarm and headstock. The reason you are doing chain alignment is not to fix handling and tracking ills, but to assure that the chain rides properly in the sprockets and does not wear faster because of misalignment. If you want to do that by pulling a string, check for same distance between the axle centerline and swingarm pivots on both sides.
This must be something new. I used to have a frame straightening jig some years back and used to straighten frames that were damaged. i also used to straighten up frames for race bikes and provide services to brace frames and swingarms. I never saw a frame made that intentionally had wheel tracking in parrallel tracks. This would greatly change the transition leverage and feel from upright to lean angles into turns.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Just wait 4 more days, and line it up with the sunrise on the morning of the Summer Solstice. It worked for the Druids, back when they held flat track races at the Stonehenge track.

If it’s overcast on that morning, you’ll have to try one of the other suggestions. I like the Glock idea.

John

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
This must be something new. I used to have a frame straightening jig some years back and used to straighten frames that were damaged. i also used to straighten up frames for race bikes and provide services to brace frames and swingarms. I never saw a frame made that intentionally had wheel tracking in parrallel tracks. This would greatly change the transition leverage and feel from upright to lean angles into turns.
Harley

BMW K bike...

I dont align chains, I align sprockets. Face to face to insure parallel. You tension chains. So tightening chain and aligning sprockets is a two action process.....for me anyway.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Harley

BMW K bike...

This is not for adjusting to an offset, it is a spec for an allowable offset. What you want is to have no offset but a slight offset can be acceptable. If I were making an adjustment to the frame I would attempt to have zero offset either way. I thought you were saying that the offset was specified to be there. That would be wrong. Wow, the alignment spec tolerance for the +offset on the K Bile is ridiculous at over .55 inches! I would consider it being off that much a defect or bent frame as I have fixed frames off by that much.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
This is not for adjusting to an offset, it is a spec for an allowable offset. What you want is to have no offset but a slight offset can be acceptable. If I were making an adjustment to the frame I would attempt to have zero offset either way. I thought you were saying that the offset was specified to be there. That would be wrong. Wow, the alignment spec tolerance for the +offset on the K Bile is ridiculous at over .55 inches! I would consider it being off that much a defect or bent frame as I have fixed frames off by that much.
I thankfully have no Harley experience, but you will find it widely reported that there is an intentional track offset with them. From my reading, it is believed to be because of the heavy primary case on the left side of the engine.

You and the BMW factory disagree. Your argument is not with me. I would think the same as you that they should be inline. From the factory they do not align the K bikes. The standard factory alignment seems to be +4mm, at least, that is where I find most K1100's. Oilhead R bikes tend to be to the other side. The last ones that were centered in my experience were the airhead series.

K1100 Service Manual

������
Technical DataK 1100 LTK 1100 RS
Location of type identification plateRear right frame tube
Location of chassis numberRear right frame tube
Maximum width (over mirrors) mm (in)915 (36.02)802 (31.57)
Seat height, without load mm (in)810 (31.89)800 (31.5)
Wheelbase, without load mm (in)1565 (61.6)
Unladen weight kg (lb)290 (639.45)268 (590.9)
Gross weight kg (lb)480 (1058.4)
Track offset mm (in)12 (0.47)
Steering head angle °27

Top Bottom