Chain Drive help please...

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
Hey Chance,I took a look at your picture and I would say that chain has been neglected and IMHO
if it were mine ,I would replace ! Not worth taking a chance and have a catastrophic failure or risk life and limb. MY VOTE replace !

:slv13: MIKE

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I see it and it just looks like surface rust. Get a good bristle brush and scrub it with kerosene and after it dries, spray it with a good chain lube and you'll be good to go.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Chandra's Honda!!!!! (got a nice ring to it)
Tell her hello and congrats!

Clean the chain up real good and see if that takes care of the surface rust assuming thats what it is...then re-post a picture and see what everyone here says..Michele's bike is chain drive but like you figured, its probably lack of use and humidity..

Bike
2005 ST1300
I have a '08 CBR1000. Owner's Manual says to clean chain with a clean rag and kerosene; Don't use a brush which could damage the O-rings. Lubricate with 80/90 weight gear lube. CBR is the #1 farkle for a ST owner; nothing makes the ST more comfortable than spending time on a CBR.

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
Don't use a brush which could damage the O-rings.
+1

A rag or soft brush with kerosene or WD-40 should take care of the rust. If not, the rust is more than a surface problem and you may have to replace the chain.

chains. I was glad o see the back of them but then Mrs G got herself a Hornet.

A scottish winter on salty roads is hell on a chain, but that just looks like surface rust. the way to check is with the chain wear sticker beside the rear axle. this will show you if the chain has reached its service limit.

I'd advise fitting a scottoiler. The chain life is so much better, and the chain maintenance is so much easier. The scottoiler website has loads of instructions for fitting the device. I've done three so far - it's not that hard.

I've been told not to use wd40 on chains and bearings as it can force the oil out of the o-rings. I would remove the back wheel, let the chain pass through an oil bath (a bottle of chain oil will work) soak it, clean it up and remove the excess oil.

And always replace the chain and sprockets as a set.

OP
OP
Chance

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Thanks a ton guys! Gonna try cleaning it with kerosene and relubing it. Haven't been able to find the teflon YET.

I'll get a scottoiler too..just for easier maintenance, (thanks gerbil).

Kempo.. I'll tell her you said 'congrats & hey'. Now you need to come see it!

Again, thanks to everyone who's chimed in. I've been reading all of them, and appreciate all the experienced input.
:bl13:

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
I didn't read all the posts so this may be covered. I've had a few chain bikes in past so here is my routine:

best chain IMHO is D I D VM2 X ring gold.

Dupont Teflon Multiuse spray for best lubricant-no fling and works great every 500 mi. bout $6 at Lowes

Kerosene clean with rag once a month.

slack 1 1/2 "

Change sprockets every other chain change (bout 40,000-50,000 mi.)

Motion Pro combo chain tool/breaker kit to do chain changes.

JDP

Top Bottom