change your own tires

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
I use a No-Mar Tire Changer and a Pneumatic, Drive On, Motorcycle Lift. It makes it Really Easy. The Lift has a Drop Tail Removable Rear Section for Easy Rear Wheel Removal!

I use a HF changer and Mojo lever. Painted the HF clamps with plasticote. No scratches and keeps the rim from slipping. There are plastic clamps that can be home made or bought. First couple of times I changed tires I used dish soap as a tire lube. Trust me - just go out and spend about $12 or so for a gallon of Ru-Glyde at an auto parts store. Works MUCH better and is about a lifetime supply.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I think I've let my local shop do the last 4:) After 30+ years of changing all my own. They have an "on the ground" price that is about $25.00 over Chapparal or SWMoto. Way too easy...Prior to that it was always 3 irons, a C clamp and a 2x4.

'Cept that now AZDesertRider (Bob) has a changer, makes it close and easy. Oh, and I use 70% EthylGlycol Anti-Freeze to 30% Murphy's Oil Soap as slickum. Works really good, you don't have to make or store a full gallon:)

+1 on the HF ?Changer?

+ a bunch on the Mojolever (not to be confused with the Dick S. lever, though it?s no doubt just as useful)

BIG difference between using the HF bar and the Mojolever ? it?s all in the Teflon and the rounded lip.

Change your own for lots of good reasons: cost, no multiple trips to the shop, do it when you?re ready and not when the shop?s ready, order your own at less cost, know no steps were skipped, clean things while everything?s apart, check splines and bearings yourself, and my favorite to cite an earlier post: why pay the shop to scratch your rims when you can do it yourself! :)

Just got through putting on two rear tires the last 4 days: a Dunlop K177 160/80HB16 on a GL1500 rim for my ST1100 (last one went 25K and took a screw with about 2mm left). And an ME880 170/60VR17 for my ST1300. I?m sure there?s some trick for mounting tires with the Mojolever I haven?t gleaned yet. It?s slick for taking tires off, but right now it?s easier for me to mount them (even these big, stiff rears) with tire irons. Leverage is the key, though (along with lots of soapy water). I use three 18? irons from Northern Tools at about $8 each.

Give it a shot. Once of the more satisfying things you?ll do. Not fun, mind you, but take your time, do all the little things, and finish knowing it was done well.

Mickey Stilson
Wichita

Top Bottom