Changing Fork Oil

TwoBrittanys

aka itsbent
Bike
'04 ST1300ABS
I don't have a shop manual and I don't see any drain screws on my 13. So I imagine changing front fork oil is a major undertaking. Mine has 30K and I don't know if its ever been changed. Input?
Posted via Mobile Device

Rich R

GLMC-127 TS-671 IBA-37479
Bike
K1600 GTLE
STOC #
In a very simplistic fashion, pull the forks, remove the fork caps, tip upside down to drain the oil.
Measure what came out and replace with fresh stuff.
Now.....if it were me......
I would take the time to add a set of new springs.
Good luck,
Rich

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80871

It isn't that hard to take the forks out and drain them. Take off the front fender, remove the calipers, loosen the axle pinch bolts on the axle nut side (right), remove the axle nut then loosen the left side pinch bolts to withdraw the axle and drop the wheel out. Then loosen the upper triple clamp bolts, loosen the fork caps (don't remove), then loosen the lower clamp bolts and the fork legs fall out. When the fork caps are unscrewed it reveals the 14 mm nut that must be held to remove the fork caps from the damping cardridges. Hold that nut while turning the fork cap and you are done disassembling. Turn the fork leg upside down to drain the oil and remove the spacer, spring, and washer. I let them drain overnight to get all the old stuff out. It takes 638 cc of oil in each leg to refill unless you install an aftermarket spring that calls for something different. 638 cc should be about 62 mm down from the top of the tube if you drained all of it out.

You might also look in the Technical Forum; Performance and Suspension subforum. The link to it is on the right side of this post. There is quite a few treads of interest there. Or just search FORK OIL.

Top Bottom