changing headlight bulbs

schla

STOC #7008
Bike
04 ST1300A
STOC #
I replaced my left bulb when I posted a query here a year or two ago how to replace it. I used and H4 from Kragen's. I cut off the bottom two tabs. I noticed that it fits in there OK but wonder if the reason I am having to replace the same bulb so soon has something to do with using a bulb like this.?

Bike
2006 ST1300
schla, I read several threads about the 1300s bulbs, and many have said that the left bulb burns out a lot more often. I just replaced both of my bulbs with Osram 65/70s because my left bulb was out. And trimming the tabs won't have any effect on bulb life. They are just locating tabs to make sure the bulb is "clocked" correctly in the hole.

This was my first 1300 bulb replacement. I pulled the old bulbs out from the top, reaching down in the gap by the forks. I installed the new bulbs using a 2-step process- I inserted the bulbs in from the bottom, then reached down from the top to latch the clip, install the rubber boot, and plug the wires in. In all it took around 15 minutes, which included cutting the 2 tabs off each new bulb. Now I need to go for a test ride to check the improvement in light!

Jim

Paawpabear

Ken Morse
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Whooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooooo!!! I did it, I did it. Got them both changed. Sorry for the spastic outburst, but what a relief to get that done. Thanks all for the help.

Bike
'04 ST1300A
The Honda bulbs are the only ones that will fit without cutting off the bottom tabs. Some use the shims and some don't, I don't and haven't noticed any issues so it makes replacing them that much easier. Also, just bending them back is good enough if you are in a bind and don't have something to cut them off with.
I was able to get the left bulb out in under 30 seconds, too... after about 20 minutes of tenderizing my fingertips and swearing like a sailor! I ended up replacing both of my lamps. The second one went a little easier with all that practice out of the way. Just to be contrary... I do have to say that neither of mine slipped out like they were greased up or anything. But I was lucky my big hands were able to get the job done at all.

FWIW... I installed a pair of Sylvania's SilverStar 9003/HB2 ($53 @ O'Reilly Auto Parts), which are rated 60/55W. As for the two bottom tabs, I found it was easy to simply bend them (with finesse!) back and forth with a pair of pliers until they broke of cleanly. I had actually missed that part about the tab issue and first wasted a couple of minutes trying my best to get them to line up. Duh.

Lastly, I didn't use a shim. The retaining clips seem to hold them in place just fine, although I'm sure they'd be a little more secure with the shim. But from my test runs, my lamps seem good-to-go - no additional adjustments necessary.

Thanks to all those who contributed to this thread - especially those helpful pix!

Archer

Bike
'12 ST1300A
STOC #
Size Matters!

After literally hours of trying to take my bulbs out, my fingertips were numb and I still hadn't made progress. My large hands just couldn't get where they needed to be. I found the ULTIMATE SOLUTION: MY PETITE 17-year-old daughter:bow1:. She did in minutes what her brute father couldn't accomplish in hours. Each step I'd "take over", and each step I'd eventually turn over to her.

The instructions and pictures in this thread were a lifesaver. I too simply "bent" the tabs back and used the shims. If anyone is out my way and need theirs replaced, I think I found a way to finally make $$$ off having kids! Now I just need to get her a tool set and convince her that being a doctor isn't truly what she wants...she wants to be a motorcycle mechanic!

Bike
05 ST1300
The first time I tried to replace the left hand light bulb resulted in utter failure. Then I read all the posts here and I briefly considered going back to the dealer. The second time I tried was today, thanks to all the prior posts I at least had a better idea what I was up against. I couldn't figure out where the tabs on the wire connector were. I must have jarred the inside tab loose without realizing it, but not the outside one, because I could see one metal light bulb tyne with a flash light and the connector was cocked at an angle as compared to the right hand bulb. After I pushed the rubber boot back a little I finally saw the little metal wire clip and saw what it was clipped to . It took a few seconds but I finally unclipped it and started pushing it away until the entire assembly (boot, connector and bulb) fell out of the headlight. I pushed the light assembly up enought that I finally saw the two tabs that I was supposed to have pushed to release the connector from the light bulb. When I pushed the replacement bulb into the headlight assembly for a practice fit I finally understood why the bottom two locator tabs had to be cut away. That took all of ten seconds. Put the new bulb in the assembly, pushed the wire clip over and underneath the little metal ledge, pushed the boot in, and pushed the wire connector on until I felt two clicks. Took all of twenty minutes, the only tool I needed was the wire snips. I used the replacement Sylvania H4 from Autozone. The whole operation took maybe twenty minutes and I didn't even scrape my knuckles. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, I ain't by any stretch of the imagination, petite. Thanks for all the help.:D

cv66seabear

Kent Barnard
Bike
93 ST1100
STOC #
I have to have the windscreen off to install the headlight bolts (my dealer forgot! -Thanks to Broccoli and Kevin at WISTOC for having ZipTies - now in my tool kit!), so I hope this is an easy install - switching to the Osram and the yellow cover on the left per the H4 thread). (Thanks again for the legwork - I like the look!)

I also thought that changing the headlight bulb was quite difficult but what about those wee little bulbs on the outside of the headlights, how does one change these. Jwhit

Bike
st1300
osram bulb base just a little bit large

I just finished the task of replacing the STock h-4 bulbs with Osram night-breakers and I'm happy with the results. Thanks to all the great how-to posts, especially those with pictures! One thing I came across during the install was that the outer edge of the base of the Osram bulbs was a few thousandths larger than the original bulbs. The new bulbs went in ok, but didn't seat completely and I couldn't get the spring clip to click in. My solution was to grind a little off the outer edge of the base of the bulbs on the bench grinder. 3/1000th at most. Maybe mine is a one-off problem, but if you have the bulbs in, and the clip won't click in, this is something to look at.

krafthaus

Live Life to the Fullest!!!
Bike
'09 HondaST1300
STOC #
Thanks All for the info. Just replaced the burnt one on left and also the right bulb from the stock 45/45 watt halogens to GE H4 60/55 watt halogens. No problems, no cursing. Broke the two lower tabs off and as mentioned elsewhere, the top tab locates the rotation and the round base keeps the bulb nicely located where it is supposed to be. Another item off the Saturday to do list! :D

Paawpabear

Ken Morse
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Welcome Krafthaus to the "I've concurred the headlight bulb changing monster" club! It's an elite club, You should be proud.

Shadowfax-ST

As ridden by Pat
Bike
White 08 ST1300
Have to add - that with all my "expertise" replacing Shadowfax's bulbs, I was left with a dilema with a dead HID while over here in Dublin without an 8mm spanner* to remove the tupperware with. So, I performed a standard "from above" H4 filament replacement, needing only to take the front jam out to access the harness from the HID "bomb" assembly.

Yeah, that's the bit we've rehearsed, right? Well, the side / positioning lamp was also dead, and coming up to a long night's ride on Friday, I bought replacements. I normally do these with all the palstics out. I recalled Joe saying you could reach up from under the forks so, with a scratch or two I did exactly that - and didn't loose the customary 501 in the headlight assembly. (Thanks Joe).

The point is, I even only attempted said operations, a. because I really needed to, and b. I've rehearsed these operations from every other (easy) angle, so adapting to the new task was easy as I could visualise everything.

Message? Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse - then you don't get caught out.

*You may not need a spanner, but Shadowfax does beneath his tip over cover.

Bike
2003 ST 1300
thanks to all the comments here i was able to change my right bulb in about 20 minutes which was not bad for the first time. I found coming from the bottom was a bit easier i had to remove a small plate above the tire and between the forks (two screws nothing to it really). Unfortunately my fat stubby hands got stuck in the gap and i had to get my wife with long slender hands and fingers to disconnect the bulb. The bale seemed like it was not in place but i jiggled it and it did not come out so i guess i got it right.

Thanks again to all who posted especially HwT who surprisingly lives about 40 minutes from me here in Western Newfoundland.

Darrin

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Hi all...
I just replaced both stock headlight bulbs with Osram Silverstar H4's 60/55W. Thanks to Mellow, the link and others I was able to change both bulbs in 20 minutes from the front, with the wheel turned, without removing any cowls. I have a 2003 ST1300 and the tip by Mellow to remove the deflector made it easier. I secured the shims on the new bulbs with needle nose pliers, after cutting off the tabs. They fit perfectly. Now it's road test time.

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
Well, I declare a "mixed victory" and have successfully replaced my old (and partially burned out) headlight bulbs.

I was not able, even with lot's of loud cursing (and that usually does the trick) to extract the"old" bulb. I tried facing the headlight and reaching under the fairing, but could not get the electrical connector to release.

So, I started ripping plastic off the bike. With the Middle Cowl off (following, of course, the Mirror Cover, Inner Cowl, Lower Cowl and Tip Over Cover) I could finally see what needed to be done and it came apart quickly. Rather than rush to install the new bulb, I removed and reinstalled the old bulb about 10 times, until I had a good feel for how the electrical connector, the rubber boot and the wire clip came off and went back on. Someone on this forum mentioned that...a very good suggestion!!

Once I had the new bulb installed on one side, I began attacking the other side. It came off in seconds. Without removing the tupperware.

I replaced my stock (2005 mind you) 45/45 bulbs with Sylvania Silverstars in 60/55. Bought them at WalMart for around $18. While I haven't experienced the new bulbs in a real night time riding scenario, the difference between the old and new is pretty dramatic. I suspect that because the old bulbs were so old (probably original equipment...at least thats my assumption since the bike only had 7K miles when I bought it last year) that their performance had seriously degraded. New lamps are super bright and VERY white in color. By comparison, the old bulbs were dim and noticeably yellow.

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and in doing so, improved my quality of life.

Bob

Last edited:
Top Bottom