Charging iPhone

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
I arrived at the campsite to find that electrical charging opportunities were pretty limited. I wondered whether I could charge my iPhone/iPod directly from my ST1300 bike's batery (without having the bike running).

So, will a healthy battery permit this amount of charging without running the bike. A fully charge phone is nice...but not if the price is a dead battery.

Advice, please.

Many thanks.

Bob

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've charged phones, tablets, computers from my bike there's more than enough juice. I've even plugged in a converter which is very inefficient and never had problems starting.

I typically have a powerlet bulkhead connected to my saddlebags so my phone just stays in there plugged up while riding and it's always charged.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I bought one of these. Of course I have a cigarette outlet on the bike, but you get the idea. I'm guessing you could leave this plugged in for days without draining your bike battery.

Media Bridge

OP
OP
bobframe
Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
I bought one of these. Of course I have a cigarette outlet on the bike, but you get the idea. I'm guessing you could leave this plugged in for days without draining your bike battery.

Media Bridge
Do you know if the iPhone will fully charge through the 1 Amp port?

Dinkie Diesel

Bike
2013 GL1800
Yes it will. I had to read a little about it before I answered because I didn't want to steer you wrong. I've used it before and it took my phone to 100%. After reading the detail, it appears that the lower current side (1 amp) is good for iphones and the higher current side is recommended for ipads. If I understand it correctly, the USB on a typical computer puts out .5 amp so this adapter should work for most USB applications. The little white brick that converts 120v to USB that came with my iphone says it puts out 1 amp of 5v juice.

OP
OP
bobframe
Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
it appears that the lower current side (1 amp) is good for iphones and the higher current side is recommended for ipads.
I think this is right, with one note. As I understand electronic device charging...it is the device that "demands" the power. So if the charger has greater capacity than what the device "asks for" the charger only provides what is needed. Thus, the 1A setting would work for an iPhone/iPod but would not supply adequate power to charge an iPad (or maybe it would but much more slowly??). And alternatively, the 2A port would charge any of them. Sound about right?

Dinkie Diesel

Bike
2013 GL1800
I think this is right, with one note. As I understand electronic device charging...it is the device that "demands" the power. So if the charger has greater capacity than what the device "asks for" the charger only provides what is needed. Thus, the 1A setting would work for an iPhone/iPod but would not supply adequate power to charge an iPad (or maybe it would but much more slowly??). And alternatively, the 2A port would charge any of them. Sound about right?
That's what I've been brought up to believe. Doesn't matter how much (as long as it's enough) amperage is available as long as it's putting out a nominal 5 volts to charge your phone.

The guys talking about different connectors may be on to something. Even though my cigarette lighter outlet is supposed to be marine quality it could be improved upon.

Top Bottom