Cheap brake pad set, lesson learned!

Bike
2006 ST1300
Well back when I first bought my cheap ebay brake pad set, they seemed O.K. I got all 3 sets at once, the Kevlar organic sets. I was short on money, and the money I saved allowed me to ride rather than spend more time at home. In the dry they worked pretty well. When wet they left a lot to be desired, I had to really apply the brakes to stop. Because of the wet weather braking, I had already decided to switch back to OEM for the next sets.

About a week ago I had visually checked all my brakes (as I try to do on a fairly regular basis, being a mechanic...while I'm not anal, I try to stay informed about how things are wearing) and all the pads looked pretty good.

Then at the end of last week I started hearing a tiny brake squeak when I stopped. It didn't sound like grinding, just a tiny squeak, so I postponed looking at them for a few days. We went on a little ride Saturday, then some hurricane prep and Sunday was too wet to check it out. I finally had a chance to look at it tonight after work. :doh1:

It looks like the outer rear pad delaminated, and the friction material fell out. The inner rear pad was fine. Unfortunately, the outer surface of the rotor was very grooved. Even though I didn't hear any real noise, just a tiny squeak, the pad backing plate had been rubbing the rotor. My attempt at cost savings resulted in a $300 rotor being damaged. I checked Ron Ayers Honda, and found it for around $225. Then, getting REALLY lucky, I found a good used rear rotor on ebay for $59 with free shipping! I snapped it up quickly and will be ordering OEM pads to go with it.

For now, since this is my only vehicle, I installed the old set I had removed last brake change. They still have a bit of material left, and its not like I have to worry about damaging the rotor now.

So for those wondering about running some of the very cheap pad sets, I now strongly advise against it. The only aftermarket pads I would consider using are EBC, and they are just as expensive as Ron Ayers gets for OEMs.

By the way, yes, its kind of embarrassing to post this, especially with me being a professional, but I would rather someone else learn from my mistake.

Jim

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
By the way, yes, its kind of embarrassing to post this, especially with me being a professional, but I would rather someone else learn from my mistake.

Jim
I think you made a very noble move to post this and it's a reminder that we all get to learn new things.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well that just bites!! I am glad you found a good used rotor at a fair price. Thank you for posting.

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Ahhh dont feel so bad...I once slipped the front wheel on my KLX, with both pads on the same side...THEN WENT RIDING !!! :22yikes: It ground down the aluminum fingers, about 1/4 inch, that push the pads.
I ended up epoxying a plate onto the ground fingers. Sometimes you're the bug...other times the windshield. See... Others will step forward with their dumbness...you just have to start a line.

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
OEM for brake pads. ALWAYS!!!! (Do as I say, not as I do. :D)
Or at least quality. EBC has a very good track record, but like I pointed out...the price is about the same as OEM can be had for. Unless you are looking for a specific compound for extreme use, I'd say OEM are the way to go.

Jim

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Gotta admit I'm running a non-OEM on the rear right now. Don't know why, but the only ones I had when installing the Gold Wing wheel was three pair of the knock-offs. Don't even have the slots like OEM and EBC. But, it's only the rear. I put new OEM on the front before leaving for my June trip.

I KNOW there's a nother pair somewhere in the garage, but...

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Well bad news on that rotor. It arrived today...and was bent. Fortunately the ebayer refunded my payment immediately after I sent him a polite message stating it was bent, and asking if he had another...apparently he doesn't. Now I'm back to looking at the $150 used, or $225 new rotors. :(

Jim

Bike
GL1800 2015
rut ro! I hope Im not posting next...but, I have had Vesrah brakes (Anybody else try these?) on my wing for a year now..(just got another set ...) not REAL cheap....I think it was $100 for the set...and looking now,where I got em...went up to $130 ..and OEM's are now only $13 more! ....But braking has been as good or better than oem's...20K on them Just changed Rear tire and pads looked good!....Prolly about half gone...Front tire off next week...have to check on them then...I do hear slight "squeel" when I start to get close to a stop...but that's about it....the first set of oem's squeeled really loud....deglazing the rotors got rid of alot of noise!!

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Best of luck finding another rotor.
Yea...used ones are priced almost as high as new. Thats why I took a chance and grabbed that $59 as soon as I saw it. I wish I still worked at the machine shop I used to...I'd just take my old rotor and blanchard grind it like new. I think there is still plenty of material, it just got scraped up too much to put new pads to it as it is. I could have made the rotor better than it came from Honda! I used to grind the rotors for a friend's 'vette. He'd buy new ones, and I'd grind them flatter and more parallel than they came out of the box.

I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open.

Jim

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
I might try EBCs from Two Brothers. I don't have a problem with aftermarket, I just learned just how bad CHEAP aftermarket can be...lol. The EBCs have a lot of really good feedback.

Jim

Bike
2006 ST1300
Well I've got the $45 sintered bronze Ebay pads. Doing fine, feel just like the EBC pads I took off. I'll keep a close eye on them. Thanks for the post.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I have been a EBC fan since the mid '08's. That is the only pads we stock in the shop. Tires, brakes and oil I don't play around with.

EBC pads are better than stock IMO.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Local shop didn't have ones for the 1300, I bought GW pads.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Papa, are the part numbers diff between the 1300 and GW? Pads look identical.

I'm running 1300 pads on my 1100 ABS. Same units just easier to get at the time. Maybe different pad material (?) but same backing plate so...

Well back when I first bought my cheap ebay brake pad set, they seemed O.K. I got all 3 sets at once, the Kevlar organic sets. I was short on money, and the money I saved allowed me to ride rather than spend more time at home. In the dry they worked pretty well. When wet they left a lot to be desired, I had to really apply the brakes to stop. Because of the wet weather braking, I had already decided to switch back to OEM for the next sets.

About a week ago I had visually checked all my brakes (as I try to do on a fairly regular basis, being a mechanic...while I'm not anal, I try to stay informed about how things are wearing) and all the pads looked pretty good.

Then at the end of last week I started hearing a tiny brake squeak when I stopped. It didn't sound like grinding, just a tiny squeak, so I postponed looking at them for a few days. We went on a little ride Saturday, then some hurricane prep and Sunday was too wet to check it out. I finally had a chance to look at it tonight after work. :doh1:

It looks like the outer rear pad delaminated, and the friction material fell out. The inner rear pad was fine. Unfortunately, the outer surface of the rotor was very grooved. Even though I didn't hear any real noise, just a tiny squeak, the pad backing plate had been rubbing the rotor. My attempt at cost savings resulted in a $300 rotor being damaged. I checked Ron Ayers Honda, and found it for around $225. Then, getting REALLY lucky, I found a good used rear rotor on ebay for $59 with free shipping! I snapped it up quickly and will be ordering OEM pads to go with it.

For now, since this is my only vehicle, I installed the old set I had removed last brake change. They still have a bit of material left, and its not like I have to worry about damaging the rotor now.

So for those wondering about running some of the very cheap pad sets, I now strongly advise against it. The only aftermarket pads I would consider using are EBC, and they are just as expensive as Ron Ayers gets for OEMs.

Jim
So you're the one who beat me to that rear rotor!!

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
So you're the one who beat me to that rear rotor!!

If you want it, you can have it...no charge...lol. It even comes with a nice ding/bend in it. On the good side, the seller was great and have me an instant refund within 5 minutes of me messaging him that it was damaged.

Jim

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
If you want it, you can have it...no charge...lol. It even comes with a nice ding/bend in it. On the good side, the seller was great and have me an instant refund within 5 minutes of me messaging him that it was damaged.

Jim
So what was his reason for sending a damaged rotor?

Top Bottom