Cheap Hydration

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I asked what guys were using at the MotoCampers site and dannyk showed the first pic below from the moonshine run....

Well, Kudos to Dannyk for showing that to me....

I went to wal-mart and for $2.47, yeah, that's right...

I got the Igloo 1/2 gallon jug in the attachment.

There are two curved areas where the spout is on the top, so you can use your fingers to
lift up the spout. I can use those to hold the jug to the Wing's floorboard via a nylon strap.

The center contour of this will even alow a small strap around the center of it and then maybe another one to connect that to something. Anyway, very versitle in my opinion.

There are probably multiple ways to attach it to the pass footpeg or back seat for that matter given it's unique shape.

It's very secure and now I just need some tubing and the camelbak mouthpiece and I'm set.

Anyway, it's a great price and might be exactly what someone was looking for so thought I'd share.

Thanks again danny!

Update: Last 2 pics show how I'll put it on my bike, this will allow me to easily unscrew the top to add more water.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I have got one of those. Had it for years. Only recently used it with the bike. The sides of mine are straight. It does not have the hourglass shape. I typically put mine in the saddlebag.

If the new ones are made like mine then I can certainly say that it does not leak when it is laying on its side.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
NormanPCN said:
I have got one of those. Had it for years. Only recently used it with the bike. The sides of mine are straight. It does not have the hourglass shape. I typically put mine in the saddlebag.

If the new ones are made like mine then I can certainly say that it does not leak when it is laying on its side.
Yeah, I was curious so I filled it up and started tipping it over and it didn't start coming out of the air hole area until it was in the pouring position with the bottom in the air... if yours starts leaking.. YOU'VE GOT BIGGER PROBLEMS....

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I see you have a picture there of LDMike's also. Mike used a tool belt from a local home supply store and soaked it in water to make it flexible. Then he jammed the bottle into the pocket on the belt. It fits perfectly. Then he used some webbing and looped it over the useless helmet hook under the pillion seat. It works well for him. I'm considering doing some like you have on the wing but I have to make a flat plate for the peg. I've seen some examples so it shouldn't be hard to make.

Curt

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just added two more pics to the first post... that's how I'll have it on my bike so I can unscrew the top to add water without having to unstrap everything. With just the jug and straps and the flat surface of the floorboard, it's very stable.

NormanPCN said:

Hey NormanPCN, I see in your avator your standing in front of the sign to a little town call Cool. I've riden by this sign so many times but never stopped. I like what you did with your picture.

Polo

Mellow said:
Update: Last 2 pics show how I'll put it on my bike, this will allow me to easily unscrew the top to add more water.
Nice setup. I am interested in where you got the chrome tip over bar that is right behind the footpeg.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
jacketsfan:
I actually have a red one on the other side for 'overflow'... LOL

DataHawk:
That is the OEM saddlebag guard on the Wing.

Medicine Bear

R.I.P. - 2010/11/14
Rest In Peace
STOC #
jacketsfan said:
Is there a similar model with a catheter for those really loooong stretches?
Well, here's a method my mom used to describe years ago. Take a soft drink bottle with you. When you need to go, take off your shoe and sock. Stick your big toe in the neck of the bottle and pee on your leg. It will run down your toe and into the bottle. :rolleyes:

My mother was a genius! :D

Guess it isn't too practical on a bike either...

Fred :03biker:

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Mellow said:
I just added two more pics to the first post...
I notice from the new pic angles that your jug does not seem to have a handle on the side (in addition to the top handle you removed). My older one has such a handle. I might have to get a new jug since this handle (permanent) just takes up space in the saddlebag.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
NormanPCN said:
I notice from the new pic angles that your jug does not seem to have a handle on the side (in addition to the top handle you removed). My older one has such a handle. I might have to get a new jug since this handle (permanent) just takes up space in the saddlebag.
Yeah, the new handle just pops off.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I was actually refering to the side handle. Not the top. Can't take that one off. It appears the new jugs no longer have the side handle.

Attachments

Find a place for the camel pack hoses? You plan on just using a normal barb splice or does camel pack make one?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Actually, Mongo had some oxygen tubing he was gonna get me and it should fit through the nozzle then the barb-type mouth pieces that camelbak makes.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Go to your local 'old folks' store. That'd be the Medical Supply. There are two sizes of O2 hose, with all kinds of fittings and such. Is easy to make something work with what ever you have.

jacketsfan

Counting Breaths
Medicine Bear said:
Well, here's a method my mom used to describe years ago. Take a soft drink bottle with you. When you need to go, take off your shoe and sock. Stick your big toe in the neck of the bottle and pee on your leg. It will run down your toe and into the bottle. :rolleyes:

My mother was a genius! :D

Guess it isn't too practical on a bike either...

Fred :03biker:
Oookaaaay, that's just disturbing. I'll send you the bill from my therapist.

Clark Kent

No Kryptonite Please
Great idea , butttt-----------Your all going to hate me :censored :mad1:

If you keep jerry rigging cheap stuff on your bikes you will end up with a bike that looks like Ma and Pa Kettle's bike! :shtf1: :puk1:

I like a nice cold drink when riding too, but I stop and smell the roses as I sip a cool beer or other adult beverage while talking bikes with others. :beer2:

The Jug idea is good, but again, I'll take warm jugs to cold jugs anytime! :eat1:

And again, I prefer the jug itself in my mouth rather than just a tube connected to it. :beer8: :grin: I guess that goes way back to my childhood, or highschool days, :excited: I'm now too old to remember! :hurt1:

Now if that container was Stainless Steel or Chrome! :yes: your bike's would look fist rate! :1st: :ygw1:

CK

PS What to know how long it took to set up this post? I've got way too much time on my hands.

It's raining or I'd be out on the ST!

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
The jug sounded like such a good idea to me that I went down to Wally World and got one of my own. Notice the color coordinated strapping to avoid that Ma and Pa Kettle look that you see so often on the slower blue and silver ST's.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom