*Cheap* throttle lock?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I can't yet ride often enough and far enough to justify an electronic cruise control and really don't want to hassle with the installation. And at the other end, the O-ring throttle lock is a little too basic. The Vista Cruise throttle lock has graced a few of my bikes and fits the bill exactly.

But I thought I saw somebody's bike here with an NEP version. I bought one and it in no way fits. I'm also pretty sure somebody here has the cheap Vista Cruise (no metal cross bar) on their ST.

If anybody is using or has use either of these $20 or so throttle locks, would you advise just how you made them work?

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
I have the Vista Cruise without the crossbar. I think it's called the twin throttle cable model or some such. It doesn't fit either but with a small tubular spacer, washer and screw it works great. Doesn't interfere with the tank. Here's some pics.....

Attachments

Last edited:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought one of these in black to try on my NC700X before a long ride and I was really surprised how well it works, like perfectly. It's no substitute for a electronic CC but it works as well as any throttle lock plus you can remove it between rides.

http://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have the Vista Cruise without the crossbar. I think it's called the twin throttle cable model or some such. It doesn't fit either but with a small tubular spacer, washer and screw it works great. Heres some pics.....
+1, same here but I just used some loctite epoxy to keep the lower tabs on the switch housing.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I use the Vista Cruise on both of my 13's. I got the Honda model and modifyed it so that it fits nicely between the throttle cables. That put the lever pointing to the tank. I cut off about half the lever so it doesn't touch the tank. I use my thumb to lock it and my forefinger to unlock it. Once installed it can barely be seen and works great.

chriSTopher

2006 st1300a "Night Fury"
STOC #
fwiw, I did a 900+ mile trip last summer with a CrampBuster. I definitely got my $10.00 worth out of it and I'd use it again.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Yup, Go Cruise Throttle lock - as simple and effective as anything, no fiddling like with the Neps or other throttle locks. Just works. Make sure you get the one for 7/8 grip, not 1".

STOC #
I have a Go Cruise Throttle Lock on my ST and it works great. Installs in seconds and can be transferred to any bike with the same size grips. No fiddling with hardware, just slide it on the end of the grip. Brilliant!

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I did a 2500 and a 2800mi trip with the Cramp Buster and it worked great, allowing me to relax my grip. But it's not much good at actually locking the throttle.

Props to Metalman for an ingenious solution. I was hoping that somebody use the NEP as I have one and didn't see how to adapt it. But the Go Cruise looks like the hot setup. I'll be sure to allow plenty of time for installation.

OOS at amazon. Off to look elsewhere. Thanks for all the suggestions.

510ebl

Endlessly Suffering Wanderlust
Bike
2003 ST1300
It does not get much cheaper than this:

IMGP2691.jpg

IMGP2688.jpg

Pics lifted from here.

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
I have a NEP on my 06 , I had to alter it a little and used a small zip tie to tie it to the throttle cables . Works great ! Will try to get picks !

MIKE

DonMac

My backyard
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I've got got the NEP on mine. It's the CC-3 I think. It took a little fiddling to get it to work smoothly but I've had it on the bike for a year with no problems. I flip it on and off with my thumb. No problems so far.

But I thought I saw somebody's bike here with an NEP version. I bought one and it in no way fits.
You're right it didn't fit out of the package.

I think mine is also the CC-3, the one for dual cable Hondas. I had to file the tab to fit between the throttle cables. I also took it apart at the pivot and turned one of the pieces around. It stays in place with just the tab - no zip ties or screws. The lever is on top where I can push it back with my thumb to engage and push forward as I roll off the throttle to disengage.

Bike
2003 ST1300
That's the beauty of the Go Cruise - zero installation hassles (just don't spread it too far, they'll break). I've fiddled and diddled with NEPs in the past, threw mine out after I put the go cruise on.

Top Bottom