Chevron Delo 400LE

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
After almost a year of testing just about every oil on the market, the dust has settled and I've found THE one :bow1:
I've tried dino oil by Honda, yamaha, golden spectro, valvoline and castrol.
And HDEO or "Diesel oils" if you wish, from Rotella T, Valvoline Premium blue,
Mobil Delvac, and Delo 400.
I've tried synthetic from Mobil 1 4T, Rotella T6, Redline, Amsol etc.
I've sent too many samples to Blackstone Labs to count.
The Mobil 1 synthetic did well, as expected. It was just getting way too expensive, and I didn't like the rattle and noise or notchy shifting at 3K.
None of the service rated dino oils fared well, as expected. Most thinned down to about 10-15 to 10-20 by the time it reached 4K.
The HDEO's did very well with the exception of Delvac 1300, which surprised me. The Delvac oil made ALOT of unexplained clattering in the engine at idle, like the engine was laboring.
The Rotella T, did very well in the begining, but again, got notchy around 3K
The Valvoline Premium blue was Fantastic from the get go! The clutch grab was great.
Almost felt like a new bike. Shifting was smooth through the entire OCI, and came out still looking clean. Several lab reports said keep running the HDEO's. Base TBN ended up higher than the mobil 1.
As much as I want to like synthetic oil, I just can't justify the extra cost, nor accept the rattle and notchy shifting that comes with it on this bike.
The Winner, my old standby! Chevron Delo 400LE. Now I know several of you that read all the stuff at Bob's the oil guy, will start crying about Moly!, but while the old formula was probably better than the LE version, this LE version smoked just about every other oil I tested, with the exception of the Valvoline Premium blue, up to and including several synthetics. It didn't "beat" Amsoil or Mobil one, but it did Match Mobil one, almost to the letter, and ended up with a higher TBN when drained. It not only stood toe to toe with the very expensive synthetics, but beat some of them as well.
I used to use the Delo 400 in all my bikes for years before they changed the formula. For some unknown reason, I made the mistake of never trying the new formual. My bad.
Next time you do an oil change, give this stuff a try, you may never go back to whatever you were using before.
Just sharing.
IGOFAR

Update: I just came back from a 371 mile ride through the mountains. The bike has never shifted Soooooo Smoooooth before! The Valvoline was close, but this delo is the cats meow !

Bike
2006 ST1300
My current supply of oil is gone. Am looking for a good replacement. I keep wondering if I got a bad tranny in my ST, everyone else praises their shifting.

Which weight of Delo are you using? I also don't like the extra $$ for syn. oil.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
My current supply of oil is gone. Am looking for a good replacement. I keep wondering if I got a bad tranny in my ST, everyone else praises their shifting.

Which weight of Delo are you using? I also don't like the extra $$ for syn. oil.
Delo400LE 15-40wt.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Gee, NOT ANOTHER OIL THREAD??? :eek:4:

I have been using Golden Specro for years (started using it back in 1989) but at near $40 a gallon (4 liters) it's getting a bit expensive for oil changes, since I change my oil every three months (that's 5,000 miles worth of commuting) and I have been playing around with the idea of trying something else. So I'll give this a shot next oil change (only 1,500 miles to go to the next one.)

Thanks for going through the trouble of testing all of these! :woo

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Gee, NOT ANOTHER OIL THREAD??? :eek:4:

I have been using Golden Specro for years (started using it back in 1989) but at near $40 a gallon (4 liters) it's getting a bit expensive for oil changes, since I change my oil every three months (that's 5,000 miles worth of commuting) and I have been playing around with the idea of trying something else. So I'll give this a shot next oil change (only 1,500 miles to go to the next one.)

Thanks for going through the trouble of testing all of these! :woo
I prefer the HDEO's now in all my bikes after having good lab results on several different bikes.
The nice thing about the Chevron Delo400LE, besides great shifting, is you can purchase it by the gallon & by the quart!
That way I can do my oil change with the gallon jug, and pick up a quart if needed at most gas stations or auto shops while traveling.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I prefer the HDEO's now in all my bikes after having good lab results on several different bikes.
The nice thing about the Chevron Delo400LE, besides great shifting, is you can purchase it by the gallon & by the quart!
That way I can do my oil change with the gallon jug, and pick up a quart if needed at most gas stations or auto shops while traveling.
Yeah, I don't even try to find Golden Spectro on the road! I do usually carry half a quart in a camping gas bottle when I'm on the road.

Again, thanks for the research & sharing! :clap2:

Bike
2006 ST1300
Well I bleed/replace my clutch fluid every year, that's not it. I read on the Bob oil site about the oil not being the problem but the cluth is. The test is with the bike on the center stand you start it and put it in first with the clutch pulled in. If the rear wheel turns your clutch is dragging. Mine passes with flying colors. Even when cold and the idle way up my wheel doesn't turn.

I'll soon be buying/trying the Delo 15-40. At 30k miles with various oils, none of them with satisfactory shifting, maybe this oil will do it for me. I had wanted to go with 10-30 for power and economy but if the 15-40 gives me good shifting I'll be happy.

I am a litte worried about the 15 part with cold starts at 40F though, which is about as cold as I go riding.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I tried synthetics as well and found that 'notchy feeling' too.
Costco had a coupon on the Delo 400 LE a while back for 6 gal.
I found this to be a great oil too.

But I didn't do any testing... thank you for letting me know I haven't chosen poorly!

Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
Well the 15-40 Delo is in. The price is right at $12 a gallon. It did improve the shifting over what I 've been using, I'll see if that lasts for 5k miles. Only negative I noticed is slower cranking at 37 degrees in the morning. (low that night was 27) With the good lab reports I may have my new oil.

Thanks IGOFAR!

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
The cold viscocity (15 weight) would pause me from using it over the winter. But nice to hear of a durable HDEO choice for summertime use.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Picked up 3 gallons at Costco, paid a couple of bucks more then one gallon (4 ltrs) of Golden Spectro. :D

Good for three oil changes, instead of one! :woo

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The cold viscocity (15 weight) would pause me from using it over the winter. But nice to hear of a durable HDEO choice for summertime use.
I've been riding my bike in 35 to 38 degree mornings, with no issues.
I've used HDEO in temps from the low 30's to the high 120's with no issues on Air cooled V-Twins as well.

OP
OP
Igofar

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Just wondering how you guys like your Delo400 so far?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
My wife was in Costco the other day and looked for this Cev Del 400LE oil for me...they didn't carry it in the store she was in. :shrug2:

I've been riding my bike in 35 to 38 degree mornings, with no issues.
I've used HDEO in temps from the low 30's to the high 120's with no issues on Air cooled V-Twins as well.
Thanks. I doubt it is an issue (and I will check the viscosity ranges in the manual to confirm), but I am wondering about it on 10?F days here in the winter.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm still loving this oil! It's worth it for the shifting alone. Bike is quieter and smoother also.

Wish I didn't suffer through 30k miles on other oils.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Something to consider. I am sure the Delo is fine oil but the issue with rough shifting with synthetics can be caused because the synthetics are too slippery for smooth gear engagement. This is because the oil does not create enough drag for the gear dogs to match speeds during engagement. This is a real problem in Synchromesh automobile manual transmissions but can also make shifting on a constant mesh transmission feel notchy. The synthetic oils do have an advantage over the Petroleum oils in longer life especially when run through the gearbox. The petroleum oil will shear down more rapidly and become thinner the longer it runs. You may find the rough shifting issue will return after a couple of thousand miles. The oil requirements for the ST1300 being that the engine and transmission share the same oil are a bit difficult. It is hard to make an oil that is perfectly suited to the engine that is also perfectly suited to a gearbox. One thing I know for certain is that after 100K miles an engine running the full syhthetic oil will be much cleaner inside than an engine running petroleum oil, especially aroung the piston ring lands. The Delo oil does have a pretty good detergent package though to make it work well for diesel engines so it may keep the engine cleaner than many other conventional petroleum oils. The St engines though are so understressed you could probably run wesson oil in them and still get reasonable life out of the engine!!!

Top Bottom