Clearwater wiring harness?

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
I appeal to the amazing wisdom of this forum... :)

I was able to pick up a pair of used Erica lights pretty inexpensively but they came with nothing else. Clearwater wants $175, plus shipping, for their universal wiring harness with the dimmer switch (which is more than I paid for the lights, themselves). I am just wondering if anyone has has made their own wiring harness/switch/dimmer with the same functionality of Clearwater's. I know I can rig up a simple switch for them but I am looking for the same functionality of the original one -- relay, switch, dimmer, and the toggle from dimmed to full bright when connected to either the horn or high beam.

I know it could be done but I am not an electrical genius like some of our members. ;) If someone has done something like that I would very much appreciate if they could possibly post the instructions/schematic.

Thanks in advance. :)

The Cheese

You wouldn't be happy with those. I'll buy em off you. That way you can go get a complete set. No point in fussing with making a harness.

A more serious answer. Their stuff is top shelf. I'd say buy it. You will still be under what a new set costs. They build in a high beam and horn trigger. It turns em on full blast. Totally worth it.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Sure. One random link coming up. I think I might get one of these.
Larry is an electrician. I suspect that he is asking you to post a link to the wiring harness that you want to duplicate so that he can see how it is made so that he can advise you about building one. That would be my guess.

OP
OP
STumped

STumped

Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Buy their harness, the other option is a Skene Design controller https://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=IQ-275
But the wires are beefier on the CL controller and I suspect they need to be to handle the current. If you build your own you'll be frustrated, waste time, waste money, and then buy the clearwater harness anyway.
That is pretty slick! Thank you, that might just be what I need. :)

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Larry is an electrician. I suspect that he is asking you to post a link to the wiring harness that you want to duplicate so that he can see how it is made so that he can advise you about building one. That would be my guess.
Exactamundo, but after reading what the LED Rider unit does, there's no way I could duplicate it.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
You might check on the ADVMonster website. They sell lights as well, and wiring harnesses with relays, etc.

Personally, I'd recommend not buying the Clearwater lights. Mine have the paint flaking off. Clearwater won't do anything for me, because I bought the bike second hand with the lights already installed. At some point, I'll simply replace them with ADVMonster lights. They are a fraction of the cost, perform just as well, and are more durable.

I've made my own wiring harness in the past. It's pretty simple stuff and there are lots of diagrams on the Interweb.

Chris

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I found a couple of things on the Clearwater site. One is called the CANopener, but it seems to be bike-specific, and tedious.

If you just want to add manual dimming, look for 12 volt led dimmers.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
If you just want to add manual dimming, look for 12 volt led dimmers.

Do those work for regular incandescent lamps?

Hmmm i might have a unused harness from Clearwater. Bought a set of ericas and didnt use the harness..

OP
OP
STumped

STumped

Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
Can you post a link?
Ok Larry, I didn't understand at first. Here is a link to the installation manual. It has a basic layout of their harness that shows its functionality on page 7 of the pdf (their page 6).

This link has pictures of the wiring harness (B702 and B709):

Top Bottom