clock reset

Bike
2008 ST 1300
When I started the bike (2008 with 30K miles) today it seemed to turn over a little slower but started. I noticed the clock reset to 1201 am and trip odometer zeroed out. Last week the bike rolled over slower and trip odometer zeroed but I attributed it to temperature as it was below freezing that morning. All subsequent starts on the trip last week seemed normal. Is this a sign of batter failure or another issue? Thanks
Randy

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
yup, looks like a new battery nay be in order. You may want to check the terminals first just in case they're loose.

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Try taking your girlfriend on a ride..... then stop at a point of interest...leaving the key on for a few mins. If it won't start then...you need a battery.

Don't ask me how I know this....just do it. lol

OP
OP
Carp
Bike
2008 ST 1300
Thanks for info. Bike started normally on this evenings ride. Can't take chances though - it too heavy to push.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Put a voltmeter across the battery and crank the starter. If the reading falls below 10 volts, the battery's had it.

--Mark

Bike
'14 Spyder RTS
temperature as it was below freezing that morning
I'm still trying to wrap my head around that statement! I'm kinda jealous... About the temperature NOT the battery. Sorry to say it but it does sound like a bad battery. Like Mellow recommended make sure your battery terminals are tight. Also make sure they are free of corrosion. If you are using a battery charger/maintainer and leaving it connected for long periods, depending on the type, they can sometimes do more harm than good.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
below freezing that morning.
:hyp1:

Check the upcoming coldest ride thread I think you're a player LOL.

Sounds like the battery.
+1 check the voltage at the battery when cranking.
Could also be a loose/corroded connection.

Also check the evapar thread may still have oem yuasa pulls from new generators for sale at a great price.

OP
OP
Carp
Bike
2008 ST 1300
I checked all connections. All clean and shiny. the battery died today. Luckily I was at the gym and I know the maintenance guy. I had to get a push (from a female Harley rider) to the maintenance shed for a charge to start the bike. What an embarrassment. I'll check that thread for a new battery.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
When I started the bike (2008 with 30K miles) today it seemed to turn over a little slower but started. I noticed the clock reset to 1201 am and trip odometer zeroed out. Last week the bike rolled over slower and trip odometer zeroed but I attributed it to temperature as it was below freezing that morning. All subsequent starts on the trip last week seemed normal. Is this a sign of batter failure or another issue? Thanks
Randy
5 yrs will about do it for an AGM MC battery, especially a ST1300 since they live in a hot environment AND they are equipped with not so big batteries anyway.

Get a PowerSonic 230cca AGM Battery from Batteryweb or where ever you can find them a the lowest cost. Less expensive and better than Yuasa.

Top Bottom