Cold Start Idle Failure

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
Anyone experienced what my 2013 ST1300 is doing now. On cold start, the bike warms up to the first bar and then sputters and dies. I have to keep the throttle open until I see three bars and then it idles no problem. Doesn't happen all the time, about every other startup. Once the bike is warmed up three bars, no problem starting it again and again.
Just returned from a short ride where now I'm finding it's having a tendency to stall at low speeds while doing u-turns for example.

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Honda uses a melting wax module from the 1980s to control fast idle. If coolant flow is restricted to the unit, it can act up. There is a hose to blow out that comes off the top of the radiator, search fast idle in the forums for more info.

OP
OP
MerlF

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
Honda uses a melting wax module from the 1980s to control fast idle. If coolant flow is restricted to the unit, it can act up. There is a hose to blow out that comes off the top of the radiator, search fast idle in the forums for more info.
Thanks for your response STinAZ. Will check it out when I tear the bike down for winter maintenance.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Try bumping up your idle speed. The black knob on the right had side in the cutout above the valve cover, You actually don't turn the knob, pull it out with needle nose pliers and turn the screw in the middle of it with a screw driver.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Sounds like the 5-way Tee needs to be cleaned out. Is your FI light on? Simple do run a pipe cleaner through, but the tank and airbox needs to be removed to get to it.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Chuck:

Below is a picture showing the location of the wax valve. As you can see, it's buried pretty deep in an area that is really dense with hoses & cable bundles.

You might want to consider taking the upper fuel tank and the airbox off the motorcycle this winter, and having a good look inside that area. While you are in there, you could do the following maintenance activities, which I am pretty sure would solve your problem for good:

1) Clean out the five-way-tee using a pipe cleaner. The five-way-tee is visible directly below the wax valve in the photo, it connects 5 vacuum hoses together. A blockage in this tee will result in unreliable idle speeds.

2) Synchronize the starter valves on the throttle bodies using a manometer. Chances are there is someone in the BC area who has a manometer you can borrow - that would save you the $150 cost of buying one. Here are links to a couple of articles that discuss this:

ST1300 - Throttle Body Synchronization
Excessive Idle on cold start up (there's a video at the end of that post that is interesting)

3) Inspect the various cooling hoses in that area for leakage, and inspect the hoses leading to and from the wax valve for kinks or blockages.

None of the above tasks are difficult, they are easy do-it-yourself tasks, but the whole process of disassembly & reassembly takes time, it is a winter project for sure. If you don't already have a set of JIS screwdrivers, for sure you will need them to remove the lower portion of the airbox. If you try to remove the fasteners that hold the snorkels down using a Phillips screwdriver, you will strip the heads of the fasteners.

Michael

Wax Valve
Wax Assembly 2.jpg

Bike
2006 ST1300
According to that service bulletin the idle should return to normal after 1 minute of startup???
Does anyone else think that's not even possible after a 30 degree F. night?

What does your bike do?

I typically start it and ride off so it doesn't matter but if I let it sit, it will come down to normal idle at the same time the first bar shows up on the gauge. Time on that? I don't know, but it's longer than 1 minute, maybe 5 if it's cold out.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Issues I found with my wax valve on my 2010 was it wouldn't idle very good at anytime, but mostly, once it was warm and I would shut the bike off, I would have a really hard time restarting the bike. After replacing the wax valve, that problem went away.

Now, the 5-way Tee, that would give me the symptoms you are experiencing (mine was on my '05), and when trying to idle, it would die, unless I kept the throttle active. Once I cleaned out the 5-way Tee, it would idle fine.

ThrottleDiagram-5wayTees.jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Does anyone else think that's not even possible after a 30 degree F. night?
I wouldn't think so even in a perfectly tuned ST. It rarely happens for me in 40-50ºF weather. But I start the bike then gear up and ride off. Easy in the grip for a few seconds and then I'm at 2 bars. Close enough for Govt. work.

Top Bottom