Coldest Ride 2017-2018

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
So far I'm still waiting for above freezing temps to melt the ice flow that runs across my street. It's 27*F here now but was forecast to be mid 30s by now. Kind of like yesterday, forecast to be mid 30s then too but never made it over 27*F. Supposed to be 50*F tomorrow so we'll see.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Today's commute (30 minutes, 25 miles each way) was at 39⁰F. That's almost summer! Doesn't look like I'll have a shot at beating -23 this season.
I'm happy next weekend will have highs in the single digits just to let all the Stuperbowl guests know that Minnesota isn't somewhere they'd ever want to live. (Keeps the riff-raff out)

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota
(stupid Vikings, grr...)

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
In North West GA, heated gear isnt worth the money to me....I would only get to use it maybe 2 months a year. Not paying $200-400 for a jacket liner, and $100-200 for gloves to wear them about 60 days a year.
Ahh.. okay.. when you posted about no heated gear I assumed you meant you took it off from previous riding. I coul dride my cruiser for an hour down to the freezing mark, but below that and my fingers would be frozen stiff by the time I got to the office.

In St. Louis it's a mixed bag, never know what we get. When I was riding bikies that didn;t have a decent alternator I would dress like you did for the commute to the office. Once I got an ST I made my own gear, but eventually bought some other.

If you make bike trips to the high country it is nice to have heated gear to throw in for occasional use. Never know what you'll run into and some early morning or late night riding can be a little chilly. Instead of bulk you can get warm with electric. Now when you stop to sleep for the night and you are camping... you may forget that the elctric gear doesn't provide much warmth in the campsite or tent. Not that I would ever do that. DAMIK!! :rolleyes:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
we've been experiencing the mid Jan warming trend here too .. 40s and 50's for highs. Yesterdays ride it was 57. This mornings ride it was 47. . I like it lol! You know it's not going to last though, we still have at least 45 days of winter to go.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Yeah, 30° ride into work and 60° ride home. Makes ya feel like a woman, I don't know what to wear!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
That's what saddlebags are for :)
I use layers. 30* is just at the temp for one extra insulated liner in my jacket (in addition to the zip in liner) and also when I usually turn on my Gerbing gloves. I shed the extra layer and the heated gloves when the temp passes 35 and both go in the saddlebag, and my TM PolarTex 2 gloves come out of the saddlebag. 60* is the upper limit of my set up for cool temps so I'm still good there, though starting to get a bit warm. If temps keep going up I also keep my warm weather gloves in the saddlebag and there's still room for the zip out liner. My saddlebags are never full when on the commute or just a ride around the area. Mine are 35 Liters each, same as on the ST but a different shape. My work laptop case doesn't fit in the ST bags but will fit in mine. Sometimes I do wish my saddlebags were deeper rather than longer, but mostly I like them just as they are.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Today's 30 minute, 25 mile commute to work was at 4⁰F. Looking like I'll have some more sub-zero trips later this week.

My 0 to 10⁰F gear is Klim jacket and bibs over jeans with long undies and three layers up top (silk base, long sleeve tee, sweat shirt). I put on one extra layer when sub-zero.
Klim snowmobile boots keep my feet comfortable down to -13 (at least. Haven't had a chance to test lower temps yet).
Klim gloves with Gerbing electric heat liners unplugged are enough down to 0 but I need to plug them in for sub-zero temps.
(It's looking like I should get some advertising money from Klim)

Something is wrong with the Gerbing glove liners I picked up on ebay for $35. If I use them plugged in for more than 20 minutes, I get burn-blisters on the back of my hands. I'm thinking of investing in some of the handlebar bag things I saw on some of the other Ice-Derby bikes and do without heated elements altogether. Anyone know where to buy handlebar bag thingies or what they are called? Can't find them on the net without a name.

I don't like having to plug-in or the extra bulk of glove-liners under the Klim gloves. I think I'll put on heated grips and the handlebar bags before next winter so I don't need to plug in anything and can get by with gloves that aren't so bulky.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #

Something is wrong with the Gerbing glove liners I picked up on ebay for $35. If I use them plugged in for more than 20 minutes, I get burn-blisters on the back of my hands. I'm thinking of investing in some of the handlebar bag things I saw on some of the other Ice-Derby bikes and do without heated elements altogether. Anyone know where to buy handlebar bag thingies or what they are called? Can't find them on the net without a name.

I don't like having to plug-in or the extra bulk of glove-liners under the Klim gloves. I think I'll put on heated grips and the handlebar bags before next winter so I don't need to plug in anything and can get by with gloves that aren't so bulky.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota
Those would likely be Hippo-Hands that you are referring to. There are also other brands that are very similar used by snowmobile riders and also Jet Ski riders. Handlebar muffs. I tried a set but found that they didn't work for me at below zero temps so then went with the heated gear.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Thanks for the notes but Hippo-Hands are not what I'm looking for.
The Hippo-Hands are way too open on the back side.

What I've seen on a few rides around the Twin Cities are bags that close up around the arm making a sealed pocket for your hand. I figure with a heated grip it will be nice and toasty in there.
If/when I get the brand I'll post back.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I use a set made by Kolpin. Along with the heated grips it's like having mini ovens for your hands. They do block about 1/4 of your mirrors though but it is not an issue you can still see behind you if you look below them. The hole is not as big as it looks, it just fits around my coat sleeves with no room to spare.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
IMO, there's nothing better than 'lectrics. Way better than 50 layers of clothes, glove liners and/or hand covers, plus they're adjustable depending on temps. I have Gerbing's heated jacket liner and gloves powered by a Warm-n-Safe wireless remote. I gear up, plug into my bike (one plug), adjust the temp knobs (one for jacket and one for gloves) and I'm off. Heat shows up in less than 1 minute. I don't know how cold I could go but I've been down in the teens (°F) for an hour or so and only had to go up to about 5/8 on the knobs. I use my heated gear for several months of the year... depending on the sun, I've used them up to 60°F, especially if it's windy. I would like to add grip heaters to be able to use my non-heated gloves more, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Not trying to hijack the thread into a heated gear debate. Sorry.

I'm giving these a try: "Kolpin Geartector Mitts - Black - 92185" for $25.67 at amazon. Thanks "Ferret"
The rest of this season, I'll try them without heated grips or heated glove liners and see how low is tolerable. Then add heated grips before next winter if needed.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

the Ferret

Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
It was 29 on today's ride lol, our coldest day in a couple weeks I think. Snowed yesterday but only stuck to the grass.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Had the windows open on the house and went for a bicycle ride the last two Sundays wearing just a light jacket, shorts and finglerless gloves. Watched snow flurries flying on Monday and had a 16° ride into work this morning.

It's been a crazy winter weather pattern.

Bike
92 ST1100
Today's 30 minute, 25 mile commute to work was at 4⁰F. Looking like I'll have some more sub-zero trips later this week.

My 0 to 10⁰F gear is Klim jacket and bibs over jeans with long undies and three layers up top (silk base, long sleeve tee, sweat shirt). I put on one extra layer when sub-zero.
Klim snowmobile boots keep my feet comfortable down to -13 (at least. Haven't had a chance to test lower temps yet).
Klim gloves with Gerbing electric heat liners unplugged are enough down to 0 but I need to plug them in for sub-zero temps.
(It's looking like I should get some advertising money from Klim)

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota
Might consider keeping an eye out on EBay for a set of Vetter Hippo Hands. They were in production from Craig Vetters company late seventies and early eighties. No manufacturer has bettered a set that go on the bars. Just aware of this as I have all four styles made by Vetter, and no gloves needed clear down to -30degrees, least has been my findings over a few decades. For checking EBay, just type in Vetter Hippo Hands.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 Honda ST1300
Might consider keeping an eye out on EBay for a set of Vetter Hippo Hands.
Thanks for the note. I checked out the current offerings from Hippo Hands and they all looked way too open but the Vetter branded look much more like what I'm looking for. If the Kolpin Geartector Mitts don't work out, I'll go searching for some Vetter mitts.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

Bike
92 ST1100
Those offered in the link you posted are NOT even close to measuring up to the original Vetter Hippo-Hands. I suggest keeping an eye out for the ORIGINAL Vetter HippoHands, fleece lined and no gloves even needed when in use, no matter what outside temp is. They came in a soft roll-up version, hard-side with sewn-in piping around hard-side. High density all weather vinyl outside, fleece lined inside, and two versions. The gold label hippo hands which were a tad shorter up arms, and the blue label hippo embossed into outer vinyl, which reach up the fore-arm a bit farther. Hope that explanation was of some help. Remember also, the original Vetter Hippo Hands haven't been manufactured since early 80's;).

Last edited:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry paulcb, been riding to work every day this week but temps have been to the warm side at above 25*F... until this morning. Finally registered a temp below 10 this morning and may possibly do cooler tomorrow morning. My Aquarium thermometer, which is more accurate than the bike temp sensor and most others I've used, showed 9.2*F on the way in. Temp did vary up and down all along the way but that's where it was at the beginning of the trip and also at the end. Verified as soon as could get my work laptop started when I arrived at work looking on the WUnderground.com website where I pass right by multiple sensors reporting along my route. I placed my aquarium temp sensor bud on the front of my shield with the body of the sensor behind the shield. Don't know why anyone would need an aquarium thermometer that reads down to -58*F or up to 128*F but that's the range on it. Maybe for Antarctic salt water fish tanks?
The temps this year have just been warmer than usual all season. I really don't mind as long as it gets above freezing after a snowfall to clear the streets (which doesn't always happen).

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Sorry paulcb, been riding to work every day this week but temps have been to the warm side at above 25*F... until this morning. Finally registered a temp below 10 this morning and may possibly do cooler tomorrow morning. My Aquarium thermometer, which is more accurate than the bike temp sensor and most others I've used, showed 9.2*F on the way in. Temp did vary up and down all along the way but that's where it was at the beginning of the trip and also at the end. Verified as soon as could get my work laptop started when I arrived at work looking on the WUnderground.com website where I pass right by multiple sensors reporting along my route. I placed my aquarium temp sensor bud on the front of my shield with the body of the sensor behind the shield. Don't know why anyone would need an aquarium thermometer that reads down to -58*F or up to 128*F but that's the range on it. Maybe for Antarctic salt water fish tanks?
The temps this year have just been warmer than usual all season. I really don't mind as long as it gets above freezing after a snowfall to clear the streets (which doesn't always happen).
No worries Bob, a Texan doesn't deserve to be on that list anyway. ;)

Top Bottom