Collar, bush

Hello Hivemind :)

I was happily taking my rear shock off my 1999 ST1100 Anniversary ABS model to lubricate and clean it a bit. Something was wrong, but I could't quite put my finger on it - until I realised the big lump of rubber that should have been around the center pin was missing. Found a little bit of it at the bottom of the spring...

Now - Honda actually sells a new one!

52453MT3611

Now - my question is : How in the world am I able to take the shock apart to insert the spare part? The damping adjustment is located in the top piece, and I am assuming I cannot just compress the spring, unscrew the top, insert the new rubber and put the whole thing together again?? Or is it really that easy?

I haven't been able to find any videos or other manuals for this job. I hope someone can help :)

For your info - the bike is nearing the end of it brake-in period with only 100.000 km on the clock. Shock feels firm and damping is good, though I believe it is the original.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Allan:

Do be sure to lubricate the shaft of the bolts at the top and bottom of the shock absorber before you put things back together. When I last replaced the shock absorber on my ST 1100, I found that the bolts were very worn - see the picture here: ST 1100 Rear Shock Replacement.

You might want to consider purchasing new bolts if you find that the plating on the existing ones has worn off.

Michael

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
When I replaced the OEM shock on my 2001 with a Hagon unit, there appeared to be only one replacement upper bolt left on the globe, at CMSNL. Which, of course, I ordered immediately.

I hope that’s incorrect…

Bike
VStrom 650
From memory if you compress the spring I think there is a collet type set up on the top spring plate that can be removed. If you attempt it, be VERY careful. I'm assuming you mean the bump stop needs replacing.
Upt'North.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
As an FYI when I replaced my OEM shock with a Progressive I found bolt #4 (as per post 2 above) to be loose and backed out several turns...........

I shudder to think what might have happened if I had continued to ride the OEM shock until the bolt backed out to the point where the rear end would have collapsed onto the tire. Nothing good I suspect.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
The only part available from Honda is #4 @ about $15 USD.

The part number in the original post is for the bushing/sleeve #2 which doesn't seem to be availble from Honda. It is a Showa piece. It might be available from them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hello everyone.

It is indeed the big rubberpiece inside the spring I mean. I was mistaken about the spare part number I wrote above - it is not the bushing.

Having done 100.000 km with the original shock, I guess it is time to replace it. However - it still feels fine, and I really resent spending such an amount of money if unnesserary. The only issue I have with the shock now is - when it maxes out, it does so with a pretty hard BUMP! With the big piece of rubber I suspect it would be softer.

I think I can take the spring itself off - no big problem there. The problem will come when I have to remove the top to put a new piece og rubber (if indeed I can get such a piece at all...)

The easy solution is not to max out the shock... :)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bump stops are available from a variety of sources. I replaced the bump stops in my Miata's suspension as part of a shock upgrade. Bump stops are an integral part of a shock and serve to modify the spring rate during the last 20% or so of the shock's travel.

The trick will be disassembly of the ST1100 shock to slip the new bump stop over the rod. Coilovers or struts for cars generally have a threaded rod and after removing the spring with a compressor it's easy to remove the retaining bolt and slip off the top hat or spring rest.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Well - it seems I cannot get the bumper stop on this side of the pond... If I get it from the states, it will almost cost the same as a new shock, so no matter.

I will have to make do with what I have for now. Economy is tight these days...

OP
OP
BTW, is that 100,000 KM (which would be around 62,000 miles)?
I've found the 'stock' shock starts getting weak around 50,000 miles.
You don't notice until you notice it! ;)
And yeah - that is probably 62.000 miles. Maybe it is getting weak - I just finished a 2700 km ride with full luggage and the wife on the back, and had no problems at all. How do I tell if it's getting bad??

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
And yeah - that is probably 62.000 miles. Maybe it is getting weak - I just finished a 2700 km ride with full luggage and the wife on the back, and had no problems at all. How do I tell if it's getting bad??
This ST Article is on the ST1300 rear shock damping adjustment but it still gives the gist of checking the damping action of a shock absorber. If the external damping adjustment doesn't make material changes in how the shock rebounds..... you get the picture.

OP
OP
This ST Article is on the ST1300 rear shock damping adjustment but it still gives the gist of checking the damping action of a shock absorber. If the external damping adjustment doesn't make material changes in how the shock rebounds..... you get the picture.

I've testet the damping, and it works just fine. I am going to try something else...

1657657787955.png

I'll take pictures when they arrive and let you all know how it went :)

Bike
VStrom 650
It'll be most unusual if you can get more than 50,000 serviceable miles out of an OEM shock. But I'm sure it happens. I replaced my non ABS OEM with an ABS OEM at just over 50,000.
The difference was very noticeable although there was no outward sign that the shock was failing.
Good luck.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom