Commissioned the LHS tip over wing over the weekend

Had my bike about 6 weeks now. First overnight ride on my new ST-1300 on last Fri/Sat and I've now commissioned the LHS tip over wing!

I was out in the countryside n Wales with my iPod playing through my Autocom. Coming up to a T-junction with a give way sign, I thought I'd use the opportunity for a full-stop to mess with the iPod, so pulled to the very far left of the junction (UK, so I'm driving on the left) just before the give-way line and came to a full stop. Next thing I know, instead of feeling a weight on my left foot holding the bike up, I find myself having a lie down on the dirt vergre beside the road with my bike next to me.

There wasn't even a split-second when I thought I was going over. It was sitting on bike direct to having a lie down.

About 30 seconds later a man and his wife came along in a Mercedes, clocked the bike on the ground and me standing around with a bemused experssion and he helped me pick the bike up. He turned out to be a biker too :)

Closer inspection showed the road was cambered away from where my foot should have gone. I also got lazy on the approach to the T-junction and did not check out the road surface where I was planning on pulling over and I think I was also on the front brake with the clutch in, while still turning from the centre of the road to the side of the junction and braking to a stop, ie I messed up.

Busted the LHS mirror glass but the mirror fairing/housing popped off with no damage except a couple of minor scratches. The mirror costs about GBP80 / $130 to replace though. Ouch.

:poPoST1:

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Yup, they do that....... the silent lurking tip-over beast just waits and suddenly there you are......

Never mind at least it's out of the way now, lesson learned, no pain... except financial..... ouch.... e-bay is your friend.... normally, but don't think there are any 1300 mirror assemblies on there right now, in the UK anyway.....

Glad you are okay, other than the slight damage to pride and the bike.....

Ride safe, but ride....

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
Glad to hear your not hurt. I tipped over in my own carport and left a scratch on the tip over guard thinking I had fully deployed the kick stand.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Not looking forward to my first. This is a reminder to stay alert of all my surroundings and NOT take anything for granite. I've come close a couple times though.

Top Bottom