Compact air pump advice

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
when the battery wears out it wont hold a charge
yes, lithium batteries die with time (in 3-4 years), sometimes faster if improperly charged and stored. But battery usually contains 18650 elements which are easy to find and replace. if there is a problem to replace battery, sure you can throw away it and connect 12v cable to pump motor directly and power it from bike's battery.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
yes, lithium batteries die with time (in 3-4 years), sometimes faster if improperly charged and stored. But battery usually contains 18650 elements which are easy to find and replace. if there is a problem to replace battery, sure you can throw away it and connect 12v cable to pump motor directly and power it from bike's battery.
Those pumps are chinese made and mine lasted a year. Added to that, i had to carry a charger for it. I just blew $100 on a new bike battery and want to use it for all of my charging needs

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
i had to carry a charger for it.
you can use small charger adapter plug with your cigarette lighter socket (which you have already as I understood). I have similar thing, two USB, each 2,5 Ams, very convinient. Can charge phone, gps, bluethooth headset. And this inflator, I hope)

1637649756277.png

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
you can use small charger adapter plug with your cigarette lighter socket (which you have already as I understood). I have similar thing, two USB, each 2,5 Ams, very convinient. Can charge phone, gps, bluethooth headset. And this inflator, I hope)

1637649756277.png
Make sure its hooked into a ten amp, which shuts off when you turn the bike off.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
The very BEST pump on the market is a little pricey, but its call CYCLE PUMP.
They are heavy duty, used by the military, and can fill up a tire in a very short time.
I've used one for about 20 years (often) and nothing has ever broke or worn out.
I finally broke down and purchased 3 of them, and carry one in each bike, because the cheap slime pumps and tractor supply pumps (china) kept breaking when you needed them to work.
I attached a link of just one I saw on line to show you what they look like.
Completely agree with Igofar on this. I have one on each of my two bikes. Have used to help others numerous times. They aren't cheap but they just work when needed and come with every imaginable adapter to hook up to power. Just be sure you have enough fuse.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Completely agree with Igofar on this. I have one on each of my two bikes. Have used to help others numerous times. They aren't cheap but they just work when needed and come with every imaginable adapter to hook up to power. Just be sure you have enough fuse.
Pricey? Id have to sell my first grand daughter! Of course, she is in her terrible two’s......

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Pricey? Id have to sell my first grand daughter! Of course, she is in her terrible two’s......
Assuming you aren't going to McDonalds or Booger King you can't feed the family for what that pump costs anymore. 1.5 tanks of gas in your pickup. Just a little over an oil change and air filter. Cheaper than the Beatles 13 CD box set. Cheaper than Kermits camp chair. Cheaper than your tent and sleeping bag.

And the terrible two's? Just spoil her then send her home with her parents to pay for their raisin'. That's what grandparents are supposed to do!

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
These little pumps are nice, but if they are made for carrying on a motorcycle and pricey enough, why don't any of them have a 90-degree angled chuck? Not everyone has angled valve stems.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
2 CO2 cartridges will fill the rear tire enough to get you to the next gas station.
Which may or may not have air facilities. Out your way gas station air pumps may be a given. A lot of places in my travels either don't have a compressor or it's "out of order". The thing that most people overlook is that some things don't have to be either/or.

IMNSHO the odds are a bike powered pump will work just fine in most situations. My "flat" tire didn't involve a bead "breaking" is it was still had about 15lbs ap. But it's no big deal to carry a CO2 kit in addition to a pump. Bead seated / no need to hope a gas station is within range. If I had to take my chances with only one it would be a good bike powered pump. But this isn't The Highlander.

Another note: Slime pumps are popular for their small size and low cost. I don't know that durability is one of their hallmarks. In my one flat tire event my ST buddy used his Slime pump to inflate my tire and it worked as expected. But when he released its 90º pot metal chuck like those on 99.9% of portable inflators – it self-destructed. I found later that we could have ordered a new third-party hose with a steel chuck which would last a lot longer. The details matter. Just sayin.

The pain of buying good kit is short lived. And even if it isn't – it will go away the first time it stops life from eating your BLT.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Which may or may not have air facilities. Out your way gas station air pumps may be a given. A lot of places in my travels either don't have a compressor or it's "out of order". The thing that most people overlook is that some things don't have to be either/or.

IMNSHO the odds are a bike powered pump will work just fine in most situations. My "flat" tire didn't involve a bead "breaking" is it was still had about 15lbs ap. But it's no big deal to carry a CO2 kit in addition to a pump. Bead seated / no need to hope a gas station is within range. If I had to take my chances with only one it would be a good bike powered pump. But this isn't The Highlander.

Another note: Slime pumps are popular for their small size and low cost. I don't know that durability is one of their hallmarks. In my one flat tire event my ST buddy used his Slime pump to inflate my tire and it worked as expected. But when he released its 90º pot metal chuck like those on 99.9% of portable inflators – it self-destructed. I found later that we could have ordered a new third-party hose with a steel chuck which would last a lot longer. The details matter. Just sayin.

The pain of buying good kit is short lived. And even if it isn't – it will go away the first time it stops life from eating your BLT.
I never understood the Co'2's. Seems like an extra step and expense. Just blow it up.

OP
OP
Alberto
Bike
ST1100
I've heard that it's possible to set tire on beads with some amount of gas or WD40 and matches)

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
After the feedback from the LDRider list I ordered the cycle pump air compressor.
Cried at the price, but it was a good choice. It is a bit larger than my
other pumps but it has a vastly superior chuck, available in 90 deg or
straight, and it fills a tire more quickly. Test results:

Aerostich 3 min = 18 psi; 5 min = 25 psi

Cheap Chinese 3 min = 21 psi; 5 min = 33 psi

Cycle pump 3 min = 27.5 psi; 5 min = 41 psi.

Thanks for all the input.

BB

Top Bottom