Completed '01 ST1100 16k Valve Check

Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Tonight I completed my 16k valve check (at 18k) on my '01 ST1100. All were well within spec. It's definitely a challenge to do it while leaving most of the tupperware on. Small hands help. But it's not a difficult job. I did create a valve clearance worksheet to log my settings which is attached to this message.

I've also changed spark plugs, mounted up a new set of tires, and will complete the rest of my maintenance (brake, clutch, final drive fluids along with engine oil and filter, air and sub-filter) and I should be good to go. I have an Audiovox CC that I may install and I'm considering making a custom triple tree cover. I also need to finalize the gadget placement on my dash shelf.

For the curious about the low mileage, in 2010-11 I doubled the miles that I put on in the first 7 years of ownership. What I did to encourage more ST riding for me was to install a Rich's Custom seat, handlebar risers, grip puppies, and throttle rockers. It changed the ergonomics dramatically for me so the bike is comfortable to ride. This bike is also one of 3 I regularly ride, and it looks like I'll only log a little over 28k for this first year of retirement. My goal was to ride 40k.

Attachments

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I ran my 2000 st1100 abs to around 70,000 miles before changing it for the 1300. I kept checking the valve clearances, but they never did get out of spec.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I ran my 2000 st1100 abs to around 70,000 miles before changing it for the 1300. I kept checking the valve clearances, but they never did get out of spec.
Hi John,my bike has 39,000 miles now,don't know if the valve clearances were ever checked,I only have her since Easter,would the info in the haynes manual be ok to go by? thanks

Bike
Vstrom 650
Thanks John, no that picture was taken in the Dartry mountains in Co Sligo,about an hour south from me,Donegal itself is very mountainous,great quiet roads here for biking and its a very friendly place if you ever fancy taking a trip this way,I hope to tour Scotland next year,also wouldn't mind seeing the lake district in England,they are handy got too from the ferry in Stranraer.
My local butcher is from Yorkshire,I was just chatting to him this morning. Take care

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
BROC, easiest method to check the valves:
1. remove the maintenance covers and valve covers (tupperware sucks.
2. remove the plugs. (I think the stock plug socket is the only way to do it without more tupperware removal. #4 can be a biatch. You can do it without removing the plugs, but much easier with.)
3. put the tranny in fifth gear
4. turn the back wheel in the forward direction.
5. as cam lobes come to the top on each valve check the clearance.
6. with all 16 checked and in tolerance, button'er back up.

Only if ya find any out-of-tolerance do ya need to do the full "inspection" and re-shim.

<edit, add> I ran STick for many thousands of miles with one exhaust valve .001" loose with no apparent problems. Just didn't seem worth it at the time to bother. Tight valves, not loose, are what cause problems.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Thanks for that George,
didn't get around to doing it yet,but i appreciate your advice,just installing a complete new delkevic exhaust myself,not as easy done as some would suggest,not easy to get it lined up with the centre hanger whilst trying to keep it clear of the engine etc,bit of a biatch as you say.

Top Bottom