Compliment from ER nurse

Rev

As a pastor I drive a lot of miles visiting my people, I love to ride when I can, and the gas savings are a nice perk. Last Monday I got a call from the wife of one of my congregants, her husband was in the hospital about 50 miles from my home. After I got to the hospital I realized I had forgot my key that locks my side box. I didn't want to leave my riding gear on my bike for anyone to pick up so I wore my gear into the hospital. While visiting my friend in the ER a nurse comes into the room, looks me up and down, and then gives me a big hug. I am not shocked by hugs, I get them from church people all the time. But I am not used to a woman I don't know hugging me. I stepped back and said "do I know you ma'am?" She said no, and told me that she just spent the last two hours scrubbing road rash from a 19 year old girl who fell off the back of her boyfriends crotch rocket. She thanked me for wearing all that protective gear and told me all kinds of horror stories of people she has treated who were not wearing gear and wrecked.
I am sure it must be heart breaking for a nurse to have to scrub and clean road rash and cause so much pain, that could be so easily avoided by ATGATT

cdp70

"Living the Dream..."
Bike
2003 ST 1300A
STOC #
Yeah, we kind of like when people wear ATGATT. Asphalt and road grime are difficult to get out of riders skin and like you said, very painful to the patient. That is kind of funny she surprised you with a hug, good for you..

Ride safe... :03biker:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Hugs from random nurses...sounds good!

Thanks for sharing.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I've been in the young lady's place (long ago)....not fun! And the nurse made VERY certain that she scrubbed out every bit of grit and grime she could find! :hyp1:

Maybe you should have visited the young lady. Hopefully she will recover fully (with the exception of some scars) and help "spread the word".

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Good way to keep up the public relations! :clap2:
I think it's real nice YOUR employer doesn't mind you riding your bike on business!:)

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
While I have never had road rash from a motorcycle accident, as a kid I had a bicycle crash and got road rash.
I remember them scrubbing the scrapes with a stiff brush to clean all the dirt and asphalt out. The area was numb but it still hurt to watch.:(

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, on several occasions, I have had people walk up to me and thank me or comment to me about wearing my gear.... they or someone they know, had had similar experiences...
even just a helmet... (which is not required here)

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have been on both sides of that coin! I perfer the ATGATT side! :clap2:

Here at my company, we have a number of Nurses working here and when they see me in my gear they always make comments about it and how they like it! :hat1:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Twice tested my ability to slide down the asphalt and was ever so grateful for the Stich I was wearing - nothing got through to me.

While following my wife home (me on bike, her in car) one day, we stopped to eat. Piled my riding gear up on the other end of the bench seat as normal and we ordered our food.

Pretty soon, a woman came to our table, looked straight at my wife and said, "bless you, you must be a nurse." She followed up after seeing our puzzled looks, with, "you must be a nurse to MAKE him wear all that uncomfortable riding gear. I'm a nurse in an ER and see the results of not wearing protection." Then, looking directly at me, "you should be glad your wife makes you wear all that - you'll be thankful if the time every comes that you need it."

She was a nice woman. My wife was quick to point out that I wear the suit all the time while riding and that we were on the way back from Arkansas where I picked up my bike that had been left there after I had a wreck and that the suit saved me a lot of pain.

Three happy people, then . . . I said, "let's eat so I can put the suit on and go ride some more!"

Shuey

OP
OP

Rev

I don't feel the need to preach to the choir here. Almost everyone on this forum realizes the value of ATGATT, yeah some might choose not to wear all the gear, but they do understand what could happen in an off. I understand when it's blazing hot out, heck I am tempted to remove some stuff too. But I full well understand what would happen if... I figure a little discomfort while on the bike is a whole lot better than much more discomfort of an off without the gear.

I wish someone could make a smile with all the gear :biker:

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I get hugs from a RN all the time :)

I stopped by Target on the way home from work a while back, was wearing my Hi-Viz AST and Tourmaster overpants. Was checking out and the older female cashier looked at me and said "I appreciate everything you do!". :shock:

Bike
03ST11P,94ST11A
STOC #
Hmm, is this service available at all ERs? It would be a useful addition to anyone's dating repertoire. Just not sure my wife would like it.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I get hugs from a RN all the time :)

I stopped by Target on the way home from work a while back, was wearing my Hi-Viz AST and Tourmaster overpants. Was checking out and the older female cashier looked at me and said "I appreciate everything you do!". :shock:
SteveST1300 and I had on high-viz jackets at Moonshine, walked into Wally World to get a data card, and the woman at the registers asked us if we were "with the bomb squad?" Uh, no, ma'am, just riding motorcycles.

At a small town general store, I was wearing my high-viz jacket and an older woman approached me and began by saying, "Excuse me, officer..." All she wanted was help reaching something on a high shelf. It was a nice change being asked to use my height for someone else's benefit.

I'm an ATGATT kind of guy too, but I've never had a strange women come up and hug me. What am I doing wrong ? :D

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm an ATGATT kind of guy too, but I've never had a strange women come up and hug me. What am I doing wrong ? :D
Unless they are "Younger" & "Cute" I don't want them touching me! :22yikes:

If I want an old lady touching me, I'll go home to Grandma...I mean my wife...:D

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
When I was in the ER after my crash several years ago, the nurses thanked me for not being drunk. No mention of my gear, which had been largely removed by then.

Bill

Top Bottom