Concealed location for STI Detector

Bike
'07 ST1300
Ok Guys this is 1 for the gurus.:bow1:

I'm looking for a relativly concealed location to install the Sti on my 07 st1300.
Anybody give me some advice - Apart from dont install it.

I was considering the RH fairing pocket - Laser limitations i know.

Another brainstorm in the wee hrs in Baghdad was to put a bracket on top of my fork divider and using a ram mount and short bar have it mounted under the front fairing (Above the wheel) - the indicators and power leads would then be out of site.

I'm not a speed freak - just a gadjet nut.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

John

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
JOHN - On my ST1100s, I bought a Radio Shack Project box, cut the front panel out and replaced with a piece of plexiglas and bolted it under the headlight for my radar detectors. I wired a switched cutoff in the left fairing pocket (my Canada/Virginia mod). It's out of sight, out of 5 fingered discount, weather proof and works well. I just put the audio into my headset and am good to go. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
jabbamines
Bike
'07 ST1300
hi Phil
Thanks for that
I've ordered a couple of different waterproof boxes to try your idea and farkle around with it a bit.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks
John

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
When I had my ST1100 I eliminated the need for the project box completely by locating the radar detector in the fairing and listened to it through my helmet speakers.

On my ST1300, I have a 2-piece unit so the antenna is located in the fairing and the control unit is in the fairing pocket. I listen to it through my helmet speakers. It is out of sight, out of the weather, never need to be put away or worry about theft.

Ray

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
RAY - Did you have an ABS or a Standard ST1100? I could not find enough space on my ABS ST1100s to stuff it in there. Just curious.
Good point. Mine was a standard ST. I suppose the ABS model has more stuff in the fairing.

Ray

Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
Hey John,
just as a head's up, they have radar detector detectors up here!!
I thought it was BS a couple of years back, but QPF trooper took me to his cruiser after busting me and showed me.
That cost: lost (can't get it back) detector, and $500 ticket...
Funny story was several years ago when they were legal in BC but illegal in Alberta. I had it sitting on my dash, but turned off. Coming back from Fort St-John towards Grande Prairie, on Alta side; Mounty driving other direction. He slammed on the brakes, turned on the circus lights, turned around and pulled me over.
I argued the fact it was off. He said the law said you could not have it in your possession and he could ticket me and give me a receipt so I could go get it back later. Thing cost $300 and that was price of ticket...
He offered option "B": He would take it and not give me a ticket...So, I asked: What are you gonna do? Use it for yourself??
No, he replied, that would be wrong.
What then?
He placed it in front of my rear tire and said, wave good bye to it and drive off; consider this a warning...
I wasn't impressed at the time, but looking back, that was one funny som'*****...
JD
Ex Coelis

OP
OP
jabbamines
Bike
'07 ST1300
Hi JD
Thanks for the heads up.
I'm gonna haveit checked by a tekkie to see if the manufacturers claims that the model that i have isnt detectable by these detectors.

i'm in the researching stages of planning a coast to coast run though Canada for either later in the year or '10. Going from Cape Race in Newf to Vancouver and back.

Its also in the planning to do a marathon trip for charity and cover every state in the US (Hawaii will be tricky)......

This will go out over the forum when details are more concrete and advice and help will be more than welcome.

Stay safe
John

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
JOHN - BTW, there's no state line sign in Hawaii! (I have this on testimony from someone who's been there doing what you are planning to do ;-) ) But I can tell you where you can get pictures of the other 49 state line signs with a bike in front of them and not get run over. ;-)

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
I have the STI and it really is invisible. A buddy of mine is a LEO and we tested it. Even turned it on inside the squad car and the radar detector detector showed nothing.

You lose laser detection but it works great for radar in the glove box. I'd be concerned about mounting it under the headlight just due to clearance issues. You don't say if you have a 1300 or an 1100 but the 1300 with the forks fully compressed doesn't leave much clearance between the fender and the headlight. Granted you're not likely to fully compress the forks but it would suck if you bumped over a curb and cracked either the fender or the headlight housing.

OP
OP
jabbamines
Bike
'07 ST1300
Thanks Raven
Just about finished all the farkles.
Thanks to Larry and the team for excellent service -:bow1::bow1::07biker:
Good weather so now i put it on the road and see what she can do
Regards
John

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
My better half :CanFlag1: used to be a Mountie in Red Deer north of Calgary. Their radar detector detector was an unmarked car that would come up behind a BC or USA tagged vehicle. Flip on the radar gun and just wait for the brake lights to come on :mad:

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I recently purchased a Passport 9500ix. In searching for a suitable weatherproof container to mount it in, I found the Pelican 1020 series box with clear top and bottom and a colored liner. This will fit the detector like a glove according to the specification of the interior dimensions. About 1/4"-1/2" of play all around the unit when in the box according to specs.

I have yet to get the box but I know what I am getting.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I recently purchased a Passport 9500ix. In searching for a suitable weatherproof container to mount it in, I found the Pelican 1020 series box with clear top and bottom and a colored liner. This will fit the detector like a glove according to the specification of the interior dimensions. About 1/4"-1/2" of play all around the unit when in the box according to specs.

I have yet to get the box but I know what I am getting.
I just ordered the 9500ix and am researching how to mount it. Did you get the Pelican box yet and was it suitable?

Shuey

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I just ordered the 9500ix and am researching how to mount it. Did you get the Pelican box yet and was it suitable?

Shuey

Yes, there is a post under radar detectors regarding this box with pictures and pricing. I have not had it in the rain yet but I am convinced that it will stay dry and secure. :07biker:

Top Bottom