Concours 1400 Review...

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I dunno, seems like they threw more than a few criticisms at it:

-Too wide to lane split (a deal killer for me)
-Numb front end feel
-Top heavy
-More heat than the FJR or the ST1300
-Useless windscreen
-Tank top glove box hot enough bake stuff in

Maybe onewheeldrive.net just doesn't really like sliced bread all that much?

OP
OP
bygdawg
Bike
ST 1300
True...They do give a few low marks, but they still make it sound a little better than the ST and/or FJR. At least it comes off that way to me.

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
The connie needs,,,

# 1 ~~~ Better/More/larger Brake lights and turn signals... The ones they have are bright and all but the location just does NOT make you set up and take notice...

# 2 ~~~ They need a far more cool looking "Vent" than the old Connie had to pull air in to the riders feet/leg area...

# 3 ~~~ Give up and admit that glove box idea sucks chrome off a front bumper of a 1964 Buick...:rolleyes:

# 4 ~~~ Speaking of glove boxes... Add,,, 2 glove boxes in the side of the Fairing... Insane they did not use the space that was there...

# 5 ~~~ Add a cruise control,,, charge as much as $500,,, and it will be on back order for 6 months as everyone wanting one...

# 6 ~~~ Heated grips... They too should be standard,,, but charge to add them,,, I would sign on the dotted line...

# 7 ~~~ Tip over protection... I hear from Murph that something is in the works... ;)

# 8 ~~~ Pull backs... Murph/Oneshot once again are within weeks of having a model ready to pull back and make it more comfy...

# 9 ~~~ Windshield=Joke... Call up Mark and order a Calsci shield,,, and be way happier...

# 10 ~~~ The mirrors look right at the bags... The Bags,,, are way up and "Tilted" to clear the "Bazooka" muffler... NO ONE,,, loves the Muffler... So,,, Kawa needs to lower the Muffler with more of the "Muffler upfront/under bike so it can be smaller,,, reposition the bags more level and lower,,, and the mirrors will be way better... Will it happen??? Just about the time I weigh in at a Stealth 180 pounds it will... :crackup

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Did you notice the comments from the one IBR rider on the 1400? He said the heat was all but intolerable:

"Chris says the combined heat of Mother Nature and the new Concours 14 have been difficult to deal with" and "Chris said, 'This Kawasaki is pumping an awful lot of hot air.' He has named the bike 'The Crotch Cooker.' His final words were, 'I reckon my sperm count is going to be zero by the time I get back.'"

Might be great if you live in North Dakota, but not in most of the country.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Rider mag has a softball test of the 14 this month. Tester reported the rider feels heat, quite a bit of it, "not as bad as the old FJR1300 but probably worse than the new one". They like alot of things about it too.

Bike
2008 Goldwing
Did you notice the comments from the one IBR rider on the 1400? He said the heat was all but intolerable:

"Chris says the combined heat of Mother Nature and the new Concours 14 have been difficult to deal with" and "Chris said, 'This Kawasaki is pumping an awful lot of hot air.' He has named the bike 'The Crotch Cooker.' His final words were, 'I reckon my sperm count is going to be zero by the time I get back.'"

Might be great if you live in North Dakota, but not in most of the country.
The heat issue seems to be more related to incorrect baffling than anything else. Mine isn't the least bit intollerable, but wearing shorts isn't the way to go. In any case, the heat reported by almost everyone is around the ankles - I haven't seen any reports of a "crotch cooker."

Louie Louie

I finally was able to check it out... Fine looking bike, one of the nicest I've seen. Very comfortable. It was next to another beauty, an 07ST13. They were both silver and looked awesome side by side. The only thing That i dislike on the ST are those ugly mufflers.

Bike
2008 Goldwing
I finally was able to check it out... Fine looking bike, one of the nicest I've seen. Very comfortable. It was next to another beauty, an 07ST13. They were both silver and looked awesome side by side. The only thing That i dislike on the ST are those ugly mufflers.
I think the ST mufflers look OK. The bazooka on the C-14 on the other hand.... In any case, I have a Muzzy polished stainless coming in a week or so.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I think the triangle mufflers on the ST are a really cool design, and they serve a purpose as well. But what would make more sense would be for manufacturers to adopt Eric Buell's under-bike exhaust, which solves the ugly rear ends, scraping hard parts, BMW-style saddlebag cutouts, and overly high pannier placement like we see on the new Connie and other bikes (the Tiger comes to mind).

As far as bike mags dinging the ST in comparisons with a new bike, consider that the ST was introduced in 2002 and is effectively unchanged since. The motor is in a class by itself and it's still the only sport tourer that looks like it was designed to have panniers from the start, but time marches on. There are new bikes with new approaches...that doesn't make the ST bad. Ride what you like.

:03biker:

OP
OP
bygdawg
Bike
ST 1300
+1 on all of that. Although, in their efforts to make the bags integral to the bike, I think they forgot how to make the bike look good without the bags on it. :cry:

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
I think the triangle mufflers on the ST are a really cool design, and they serve a purpose as well. But what would make more sense would be for manufacturers to adopt Eric Buell's under-bike exhaust, which solves the ugly rear ends, scraping hard parts, BMW-style saddlebag cutouts, and overly high pannier placement like we see on the new Connie and other bikes (the Tiger comes to mind).

:03biker:
I 121% agree with Bones!!!

Here are pic's of a Two Brothers that look way better than stock... Also,,, ya see what this bike looks like with the fender taken off...

Doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to see the wasted space down low that they could have made the muffler fit like Buell did... If they would have,,, they could have lowered the bags,,, leveled them way more than the tilt they have now,,, and the mirrors would be 91.7% better too!!! Win,,, Win,,, Win,,, in my book!!!;)

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2022496940089540311flTSmx

Last edited:
OP
OP
bygdawg
Bike
ST 1300
Now that does look like a crotch rocket without the bags. Shame they wasted all that space as others have said.

If you remove the rear fender, where is all the road dirt/debris going to go that will get kicked up? It'll scratch the underside for sure.

The bazooka muffler is something that grows on you I think. Mine doesn't bother me at all.

OP
OP
bygdawg
Bike
ST 1300
I would think it would just get kicked out the back, like most trucks that don't have those guards behind their tires.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Got to take a short spin on a Connie 14 today and the thing that stands out is the engine....very smooth and very STRONG!! Definatelly more sporty feeling than the ST but I really did not care for the overall layout personally. Little things like no fairing pockets, even though there is room for them and a really cheap looking and small windshield and goofy high saddle bags. It might have a lot of horsepower but there is one thing it does not have and never will, Honda design and integrated layout. The whole bike just looks and feels like the saddle bag guy was not talking to the seat guy who ignored the foot peg guy who was not talking to the fairing guy, it would most likely go mostly unnoticed if you did not just step off an ST and know how everything can and should work together in harmony. Be warned though. the thing is one smooth rocket and unless you are a really good rider and the Connie pilot is not, he will out gun you. But have satisfaction just knowing that the ST does just about everything else much better and you are on a all around superior bike.

Top Bottom