Connecting Starcom and Valentine Radar

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I'm looking for other people's experience connecting their Valentine 1 radar unit to their Starcom 1 Advance. I've tried everything I know to avoid hearing an ocillation sound in the helmet speakers that I now believe is just a normal IC chip sound that the Valentine normally makes once powered on. This sound normally won't be heard unless it is amplified. If you connect the Valentine using the Remote Audio adapter, you have 2 choices. A front, un-amplified 3.5mm jack or a rear amplified 2.5mm jack. The CAB-35 cable normally sold by Starcom for this purpose is a 2.5 to 3.5 isolated cable that should connect to the AUX input of the Starcom.

When I do this, I hear the frequency ocillating sound High/Low as soon as I turn the power on. Bike is not even running! I've tried all kinds of power sources and ground sources, including connecting both the Valentine and the Starcom to the exact same connection points, so I'm confident this is not a ground loop issue. I also sent in my Valentine for service to make sure it was not the unit or the audio adapter or the cables. Everything was good.

So, the question is, do you guys who have used the CAB-35 cable hear ANY sound with the bike engine off, but the Valentine and Starcom turned on? The sound is not extremely loud, but it definitely can be heard. Also, the volume control on the Remote audio Adapter from Valentine is quite sensitive to adjustment in this scenario. I basically have to keep it barely turned on or it will go from quiet to LOUD instantly as the control is turned clockwise.

I think I understand what is happenning, but don't understand why NO ONE else has ever mentioned this noise???

Your feedback is appreciated, as my gray hairs are starting to turn white over this one!

Hal

Top Bottom