Controlling Gerbing Gloves

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Here's the response from Gerbing... sounds like a good deal to me.

"Yes, there is a charge of $24.95 to wire your jacket Dual. We are unable to
install the PDU in the jacket, if you have hanging wires than we would just
add another line. Can you please call us and we will issue you with a return
authorization number 1-800-646-5916"

Just called and had to add $10.50 for shipping. Still not too bad.

RCS

Packed up my jacket liner, got the RMA #, and sent it to Gerbing. They expect to have it back to me in two weeks. 3 day shipping across the country to Gerbing from my place is $11.95. They did say on the phone(Heather) that there wouldn't be return shipping but if it turns out there is that is okay too.

RCS

Just keep in mind that with the dusl plugs, you need a dual controller. Another $100.
Maybe not. I've learned on my 11 hour rides across PA and OH in 34 degree temps that my Gerbing G3 gloves are either off (down to 40 degrees F) or on (anything below 40 degrees). Even though I have them hooked up to a dual controller, I rarely if ever have the heat turned up anything less than full.

So, you may be able to just get an on/off switch (about $15)for the gloves and a "Y" splitter for $10.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I hook my Gerbings jacket to my gloves and run a single wire. For some magical reason, the juice to the gloves is always correctly proportional to the jacket heat, ie perfectly matched. Can't get better than that. My gloves are about 5 years old, the heavier style.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I hook my Gerbings jacket to my gloves and run a single wire. For some magical reason, the juice to the gloves is always correctly proportional to the jacket heat, ie perfectly matched. Can't get better than that. My gloves are about 5 years old, the heavier style.
For the older style it's not as much of an issue... although mine were always a little hotter to the gloves... or the jacket was colder :nuts1:

The new microwire gloves are MUCH hotter and so there is a need to separate the two.

RCS

For the older style it's not as much of an issue... although mine were always a little hotter to the gloves... or the jacket was colder :nuts1:

The new microwire gloves are MUCH hotter and so there is a need to separate the two.
How much hotter are the new microwire gloves than the Gerbing G3's?

The reason I ask is that the new gloves only cost $125 and although I haven't tested them yet, my feeling is that my G3's will only work well down to 25 degrees F.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
A Warm & Safe jacket liner has a connection for gloves only, if you want to run it on separate circuit than the liner, or you can run both together on one controller...... I find the G3's pretty much need to be on high all the time at anything under 40F, and heated grips are a welcome addition (I agree the gloves alone at 25F aren't enough). The jacket liner is on 1/4-1/2 most times.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
How much hotter are the new microwire gloves than the Gerbing G3's?

The reason I ask is that the new gloves only cost $125 and although I haven't tested them yet, my feeling is that my G3's will only work well down to 25 degrees F.
I've wore the 1st gen gloves in 15 degree weather. They were just fine. You're hands won't get hot, you'll wonder if they are working.. unplug them and then you'll know they are working just fine.

The microwire gloves get very warm very fast. It hasn't been cold enough to really test them out yet but when it is I'll try to post but I'm sure someone else will get that chance before I do... thankfully.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

My card just got hit for the charges yesterday so looks like a 3 week turn around which isn't bad.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I've wore the 1st gen gloves in 15 degree weather. They were just fine. You're hands won't get hot, you'll wonder if they are working.. unplug them and then you'll know they are working just fine.

The microwire gloves get very warm very fast. It hasn't been cold enough to really test them out yet but when it is I'll try to post but I'm sure someone else will get that chance before I do... thankfully.
I have the microwire G3's, and the real issue is not enough insulation on the back of the hand. At anywhere under 40F, I find heated grips are an absolute necessity, with the G3's on full high. I have other non-heated gloves with more insulation, but unfortunately the palms are well insulated too. Makes me wonder if the WarmNSafe gloves are better.

Bones, WarmNSafe has seconds on sale for $89, I think........ Large only.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have the microwire G3's, and the real issue is not enough insulation on the back of the hand. At anywhere under 40F, I find heated grips are an absolute necessity, with the G3's on full high. I have other non-heated gloves with more insulation, but unfortunately the palms are well insulated too. Makes me wonder if the WarmNSafe gloves are better.

Bones, WarmNSafe has seconds on sale for $89, I think........ Large only.
The new microwire gloves are:

"The glove heats the entire length of each finger including the thumb as well as the back of your hand"

I don't think there is any palm heat in either gerbing or warm n safe.

RCS

Packed up my jacket liner, got the RMA #, and sent it to Gerbing. They expect to have it back to me in two weeks. 3 day shipping across the country to Gerbing from my place is $11.95. They did say on the phone(Heather) that there wouldn't be return shipping but if it turns out there is that is okay too.
They shipped my liner on Tuesday(about a three week turnaround) and it won't be here until next Tuesday - not in time for my scheduled trip this Friday.

Gerbing customer service was fantastic. Since they had in their initial notes that I needed the Jacket by today they Fedexed me overnight a loaner Jacket Liner to use for my trip Friday -- at no charge to me. What terrific customer service.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
They shipped my liner on Tuesday(about a three week turnaround) and it won't be here until next Tuesday - not in time for my scheduled trip this Friday.

Gerbing customer service was fantastic. Since they had in their initial notes that I needed the Jacket by today they Fedexed me overnight a loaner Jacket Liner to use for my trip Friday -- at no charge to me. What terrific customer service.
Wow... that is very nice..

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The new microwire gloves are:

"The glove heats the entire length of each finger including the thumb as well as the back of your hand"

I don't think there is any palm heat in either gerbing or warm n safe.
This is correct. My point is, you want insulation on the back of your hand to prevent heat loss/wind chill, and very little in the palm so the heat transfers from your grips. I read in another post (Motomac) that the WarmNSafe heated gloves might be preferable in this regard.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
This is correct. My point is, you want insulation on the back of your hand to prevent heat loss/wind chill, and very little in the palm so the heat transfers from your grips. I read in another post (Motomac) that the WarmNSafe heated gloves might be preferable in this regard.
Could be...

The point of this thread was due to Gerbing gloves being so hot they need a separate controller. I'm thinking of the top of your hand is that hot the bottom can't be that cold..

I always have used the heated grips w/gloves because it was just a good match. I have some of the new microwire type gloves but it hasn't been cold enough yet to review them in the right way... I may have some more useful comments after that.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
As myself and others have found, below approx. 40F the G3's are not hot at all and the controller can be left on high, or plugged in directly. You will want heated grips. As it gets colder, more wind chill, you'll be turning up the grips to stay warm. The G3's have been a little disappointing, and should have had one more layer of insulation on the back of the hand. But, part of their appeal is thin...... If there's a next time, I'll go with WarmNSafe. YMMV.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The nearest Warm and Safe dealer is in central CT, so I'll have to make a trip down there one of these days. The nearest Gerbing dealer went TU last week...have to go out toward Boston to find a dealer now. Gloves are one of those things I have to try on.

As I play with wiring diagrams, I'm thinking my best bet may be to leave my jacket wired as is, wire a fused harness to the battery, plug that into my portable Heatroller, then run a Y harness to the gloves. I prefer my gauntlets outside the sleeve and wiring gloves to the jacket looks like a PIA to accommodate my preference.

Top Bottom