cool new tire changing site

STOC #
For those of us who enjoy the frustration of changing our own tires LOL...the more you spend the easier it gets. There's no end to the tools available these days, but I not only like the DIY aspect, but the DIY on the cheap aspect. I ran across this YouTube vid and related site.
I emailed Dave and he said it'd be fine to post this info.

Here ya go.
Looks like a winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5fF1idq_Z0

http://www.no-scufftiretool.com/

Bike
07 ST1300A
Looks like HF tire changer, and the lever looks to be half Mo-Jo and half No-Mar, looks like it works well.

I use the same tire changer which looks like the HF. for the lube I use pledge funature polish in the spray can. Which can also be used to shine the bike with. Makes tire changing e incredibly easy.
Don

OP
OP
LT Rider
STOC #
Obviously it's a HF stand. Lots of good stands out there including the home made ones like mine. This is a home made bar. He seems to have made some improvements to the ones already out there. Sorry for the confusion.

Like most tire changes, it depends on the compound of the tire you're mounting. My 020s are sooooo hard that I'm sure the video wouldn't make it look so easy, but still easier than spoons. The one it the vid must be pretty sticky and soft.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
This is a home made bar. He seems to have made some improvements to the ones already out there. Sorry for the confusion.
I don't see any improvements. All he has done is taken one end of the NoMar and one end from the Mojo bar and copied them into one bar.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
+1 on the Nomar-Mojo combo...
I have the Nomar setup and it works fine on the ST tires.

One thing I disagree with... He says/ shows to lube/grease up the (outer) bead of the tire.
I never put any lube on the outer bead.
A very small amount on the leading edge of the rim (which gets wiped off after). Also only need it on the INNER side of the bead and the small area between inner and outer. These are the locations that act as rub points with the rim....
Who wants tires that spin on the rim?

ride safe
Tom

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I use RuGlyde from Napa. I slop it everywhere to make mounting easier. It's incredibly slippery when wet. It dries and the mounted tire will not slip.

Ray

OP
OP
LT Rider
STOC #
Thanks, Ray.

Didn't 'bout that stuff. Just for mounting? What kind of thread is this?

I don't see any improvements. All he has done is taken one end of the NoMar and one end from the Mojo bar and copied them into one bar.
I don't know if you read the information on my website or not but there are improvements to the bar that were made. If it was the same old thing I would have just went and purchased the mojo instead of making my own.

1. On mine there are two bolts that hold the mount uhmw in place instead of one. I had a guy contact me recently from the Aprilia forum that has a mojo-lever. His nylon mount end piece has spun on him rendering the tool pretty much useless. Mine won't spin. However the extra bolt does makes it harder to manufacture since I have to drill and tap, but it makes it much more reliable. Note that the mojo is almost an exact copy of the wikco bar to the tee except for where the mount end plastic is secured. The wikco bar uses one bolt at the opposite side of the of the part that contacts the rim. The wikco mount plastic end would not last long before it started spinning on you which is why they offer repair kits. The mojo is mounted more securely then the wikco but apparently not enough. Neither wikco or mojo came up with this mount end because I found some older designs that had the same mount tip only without the plastic protection. Apparently this is an old proven design.

2. Weight! My bar weighs 4lbs 9oz. The mojo and wikco bars are made from either 3/4" or 1" solid stock and weigh almost 3 times as much as my bar. The no-mar bar is close to the same weight as mine. I really did NOT want a tire tool that was that heavy. A heavier bar makes it that much easier to damage your rim while your using it.

3. My demount tips are made of delrin which is a tougher material then nylon and uhmw. The no-mar tips are made of uhmw and the mojo are made of nylon. My tips are a similar in design to the no-mar but they are different. There is a .25" grade 8 bolt that runs the whole length of my tip and I know it doesn't on the no-mar. There is also more material left on my tips on the narrowest part by about 35 thousands which adds to the strength of the tip.

The video was taped at the house of a guy who owns a second generation no-mar. The second generation no-mars have an extra handle close to the mount end. He wanted to see my mount end work and compare it to his no-mar. He preferred my mount end to his after it was all said and done. My first customer owned a first generation no-mar (without the extra handle) and hated it. He sold it after he purchased mine. His main complaint was the tool wanted to pop out during the last 10% to 20% of the mount procedure. This guy does a lot of track days so he's continually changing tires. Note that most track tires have a thicker side wall and are noticeably more difficult to mount. The tires in the video were just standard sport bike tires off of a Suzuki SV1000.

Last edited:
+1 on the Nomar-Mojo combo...
I have the Nomar setup and it works fine on the ST tires.

One thing I disagree with... He says/ shows to lube/grease up the (outer) bead of the tire.
I never put any lube on the outer bead.
A very small amount on the leading edge of the rim (which gets wiped off after). Also only need it on the INNER side of the bead and the small area between inner and outer. These are the locations that act as rub points with the rim....
Who wants tires that spin on the rim?

ride safe
Tom
It was my first time using the no-mar paste and I was pretty impressed with it. It won't work when demounting though since you'd tear your fingers up trying to get it down where you need it. What we noticed after using the paste is that when it dries it gets sticky almost like glue, so this stuff will NOT be letting your tires spin on the rims. I'm also told it's water soluble.

If you use one of lubricants specified for tires you won't have any problems with tires spinning on the rims. Ron (first customer) has numerous bikes (twins, inline 4)and rides the hell out of all of them. Wheelies, track days etc.. He uses the lubricant from napa and has NEVER had a rear tire break loose from the rim. He rides like a wild man!

Last edited:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
>no-mar paste ...It won't work when demounting though since you'd tear your fingers up trying to get it down where you need it. >

Yes... the paste is for mounting only. For removal, they have a water soluble spray lube.
After breaking bead, I spray it all over/into the bead area. No matter what you use, it gets cleaned off the empty rim anyway... but I'd try to stay with lubes made for tires.

Yeah, I use the stuff made for tire changing as well. I got a package of some orange stuff in a bag that you mix with water and it works pretty good.

LT-Rider,
I took some pictures of my tire changing setup using a 13" car rim. I made a few simple modifications to it and it works quite well now. I posted them on my website with a brief explanation. I know you have a similar setup.

can yo buy just the tool in the gentlemens hand because I can make the rest

I'm not sure what tool your referring to, the one I'm selling on my website? I'm assuming you were looking at my website or the youtube video?

Last edited:
OP
OP
LT Rider
STOC #
Yeah, I use the stuff made for tire changing as well. I got a package of some orange stuff in a bag that you mix with water and it works pretty good.

LT-Rider,
I took some pictures of my tire changing setup using a 13" car rim. I made a few simple modifications to it and it works quite well now. I posted them on my website with a brief explanation. I know you have a similar setup.
Thanks Dave.

I'm riding so little these days, barely one set of tires/year that I'm making due with my own set-up and spoons...(very similar to yours) and an extra set of hands now and then, but anybody who posts pics of their set-up complete with rifle is OK by me. http://no-scufftiretool.com/Tiresetup.html

Guys,
I had a request from a member on the KLR world forum to purchase a mount end from me. He wasn't happy with the way his No-mar mount end worked. I thought his request would apply to other people that don't want to drop another $85~$100 on a no-scufftiretool, mojo or wikco bar but want an easier to use mount end. I've decided to start selling just the mount end to people interested. Check out my website for details. Now a days anything you can do to save money is a good thing. I've also designed a new demount tip that I'm testing out.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
Has anybody ever spun a tubeless tire?:confused:

I thought this was only with very low pressure like 8 to 10 pounds on dirtbikes. Then you need rim locks.

STOC #
Davenc,

I just sent you an e-mail.... didn't realize you were a member here....cool. Anyway I'd like to get one if you have one made and ready to go.

Thanks,

Davenc,

I just sent you an e-mail.... didn't realize you were a member here....cool. Anyway I'd like to get one if you have one made and ready to go.

Thanks,
Thanks, I've got one packaged up with your name on it. I sent my paypal info to you a few minutes ago.

Dave

Top Bottom