Coolant for ST1100 question

Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Hi there,
This web site has been a great help and resource for me, as a new rider. How cannot stress how happy I am seeing so many helpful people here, none that will put you down with ‘stupid’ questions.
That said, I’m learning and would like to ask about coolant, something that might be obvious and thus cannot find answers for.
so I see in the service manual that the coolant must be ethylene glycol based designed for aluminum engines. I prefer to purchase ready mix.
First, do you need to purchase coolant specifically made for motorcycles, if there is such thing?
Second, I assume the coolant color is supposed to be blue, correct? I tried to check the coolant in my motorcycle, and I don’t think I can see anything in the reservoir. I bought this 1993 ST1100 couple of weeks ago, and just thought of checking it.
Third, are there bad quality brands I should stay away from? My first thought would be getting a genuine ‘Honda’ coolant I see on Amzaon’s web site. Is ‘Peak’ an ok brand?
If possible, I’d like to avoid taking off the fairing to check the radiator cap, might need to? Suspecting I might concentrate on replacing the coolant all together…

EDIT:
There has been some ‘development’: I managed to open the radiator cap (nothing was in the reservoir), and it appears the coolant is green. I assume the coolants you recommended is blue, and should not be mixed. Furthermore, I tested the coolant and it shows only at -20F, or is that normal? Here in Chicago I think temperature can drop below that. I did measure when the coolant was a bit warm, after a short ride I took. Would slightly warm coolant give false reading?
Am I on the way to flush the coolant and put fresh one?

Thanks,
Doron

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
@karuzo,

Welcome to the STO!

The "official" coolant for the ST11 and ST13 is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039OTLRW/?coliid=I1IU7KJ2D7YC0P&colid=2BV0JTT3I8SH6&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

However, I use the following: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006YX9YZE/?coliid=I1Z142FCCO5DOX&colid=2BV0JTT3I8SH6&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it. It's the same formula as the "official" coolant, only it costs less.

Some owner use other brands (e.g., Peak, Prestone, etc.). Make sure its ethylene-glycol based, silicate free and borate free, and you should be good to go.

How the Royal Enfield Interceptor treating you?

Chris

Bike
2010 ST1300
Most of the coolants out there now are indeed silicate and borate free, but if a cheap brand catches your eye, read the labels. Since Honda car engines do not like the same things that our ST's dislike, I used Type 2. I suggest you call around for pricing. I found a difference of $10 a gallon last time I bought it by calling 3 (more or less) local dealerships.

Good question about the color - I don't know if there is an industry standard for blue or green colors meaning something specific, but if you are adding to your radiator, (rather than a flush and fill) I'd stay with the same brand. This choice on my part is more from ignorance. The additive package to the coolant is what is important - it prevents corrosion - and these chemicals are depleted over time, hence the recommendation to change the fluid every two years. My VStrom uses a Suzuki brand coolant and they sell two flavors - 2 year and 4 year.

Real damage can be done if the antifreeze is not changed. For whatever reason, I neglected to change the coolant in my 89 Accord. While the car was at my trusted mechanic's service station for something else, he checked it. The color was dark brown and stank and I received quite the tongue lashing. He flushed it several times and filled it up, ran the engine to op temperature and changed it again. On his suggestion, we changed it twice more at yearly intervals.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
You guys are amazing. Thanks for helping, and again, great to see not being judged in any way.
There has been some ‘development’: I managed to open the radiator cap (nothing was in the reservoir), and it appears the coolant is green. I assume the coolants you recommended is blue, and should not be mixed. Furthermore, I tested the coolant and it shows only at -20F, or is that normal? Here in Chicago I think temperature can drop below that. I did measure when the coolant was a bit warm, after a short ride I took. Would slightly warm coolant give false reading?
Am I on the way to flush the coolant and put fresh one?
thanks again.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Most of the coolants out there now are indeed silicate and borate free, but if a cheap brand catches your eye, read the labels. Since Honda car engines do not like the same things that our ST's dislike, I used Type 2. I suggest you call around for pricing. I found a difference of $10 a gallon last time I bought it by calling 3 (more or less) local dealerships.

Good question about the color - I don't know if there is an industry standard for blue or green colors meaning something specific, but if you are adding to your radiator, (rather than a flush and fill) I'd stay with the same brand. This choice on my part is more from ignorance. The additive package to the coolant is what is important - it prevents corrosion - and these chemicals are depleted over time, hence the recommendation to change the fluid every two years. My VStrom uses a Suzuki brand coolant and they sell two flavors - 2 year and 4 year.

Real damage can be done if the antifreeze is not changed. For whatever reason, I neglected to change the coolant in my 89 Accord. While the car was at my trusted mechanic's service station for something else, he checked it. The color was dark brown and stank and I received quite the tongue lashing. He flushed it several times and filled it up, ran the engine to op temperature and changed it again. On his suggestion, we changed it twice more at yearly intervals.
Thanks. I just found out the coolant is green. Any idea which coolant I should get that is green? Please see also what I added as an answer to my post, might need to flush the whole coolant out and replace…

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
@karuzo,

Welcome to the STO!

The "official" coolant for the ST11 and ST13 is: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039OTLRW/?coliid=I1IU7KJ2D7YC0P&colid=2BV0JTT3I8SH6&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

However, I use the following: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006YX9YZE/?coliid=I1Z142FCCO5DOX&colid=2BV0JTT3I8SH6&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it. It's the same formula as the "official" coolant, only it costs less.

Some owner use other brands (e.g., Peak, Prestone, etc.). Make sure its ethylene-glycol based, silicate free and borate free, and you should be good to go.

Chris
I LOVE the Royal Enfield. Simplicity at its best. Bought it in part to learn mechanics on it. it is a fun bike to ride.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
@karuzo,

Welcome to the STO!

Chris
Thanks. The first one you posted, it indicates it is compatible with green coolant. Does that mean I can add that to my green coolant? The second one you posted, i assume that would be the same?

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have used the Prestone 50:50 mix in mine when I did the timing belt and hose job ~ 5 years ago- it is green in color- I think adding whatever color coolant is no big deal as long as it is silicate free, but others here may opine differently.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I doubt that you can add coolant to a bike's radiator and significantly change the freezing temp. The reason for this is you are adding 50:50 mix, and not much of it so the bulk of the coolant will freeze at your -20 and only a small amount (relatively speaking) will have a lower freezing temp. Questions. How old is the coolant in your bike? If you recently (say within a year) replaced it, you might just add some straight coolant (not premix), run the bike to mix it up and test it. If its more than a year old, according to Honda, its half gone and I'd replace it.

Do you have maintenance records for your bike? Its at least 20 years old, and ST's like regular maintenance. If no records are available, I'd probably just do a flush (drain, fill w/ distilled water, drain, fill w/ new Type 2). There are enough things I know about and even more about which I know a little. I do not need to become an expert on aunt freeze coolants, and I'd just accept that Honda's Type 2 will do no harm in my bike. I used it in my ST, and I use Suzi's 4 year juice in my VStrom. One less thing to worry about. If nothing else I'm consistent - I use the same brand oil every time in my cars and bikes (obviously different ones) and the same goes for coolant. Mix and match? I don't know enough about the formulations nor do I want to know. Feel free to read up on the web about coolants - there is a lot of good info on the web and if nothing else you will learn to discern the good from the bad. Then you can advise us on what to do.

As an aside, do you know that the juice you drink for a colonoscopy is polyethylene glycol? Guess it will prevent you from freezing down to -20ºF. :rofl1:

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
I doubt that you can add coolant to a bike's radiator and significantly change the freezing temp. The reason for this is you are adding 50:50 mix, and not much of it so the bulk of the coolant will freeze at your -20 and only a small amount (relatively speaking) will have a lower freezing temp. Questions. How old is the coolant in your bike? If you recently (say within a year) replaced it, you might just add some straight coolant (not premix), run the bike to mix it up and test it. If its more than a year old, according to Honda, its half gone and I'd replace it.

Do you have maintenance records for your bike? Its at least 20 years old, and ST's like regular maintenance. If no records are available, I'd probably just do a flush (drain, fill w/ distilled water, drain, fill w/ new Type 2). There are enough things I know about and even more about which I know a little. I do not need to become an expert on aunt freeze coolants, and I'd just accept that Honda's Type 2 will do no harm in my bike. I used it in my ST, and I use Suzi's 4 year juice in my VStrom. One less thing to worry about. If nothing else I'm consistent - I use the same brand oil every time in my cars and bikes (obviously different ones) and the same goes for coolant. Mix and match? I don't know enough about the formulations nor do I want to know. Feel free to read up on the web about coolants - there is a lot of good info on the web and if nothing else you will learn to discern the good from the bad. Then you can advise us on what to do.

As an aside, do you know that the juice you drink for a colonoscopy is polyethylene glycol? Guess it will prevent you from freezing down to -20ºF. :rofl1:
I just bought the bike 2 weeks ago, so not sure of the records. I’m all for flushing it. I looked at the service manual and it appears there are couple of drains at cylinder heads that are hard to get to, easier if removing the exhaust downpipe assembly. Are those crucial to drain? I’d like to avoid disassembly of that part…

I had to drink the juice for colonoscopy. Most disgusting stuff. Lol.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I had to drink the juice for colonoscopy. Most disgusting stuff. Lol.
I did recently, too. I used the Equate generic version, mixed (very well) with lemon-lime PowerAde. It barely affected the flavor; just made it a little salty.

I drank a little to make room in the bottle, poured some powder in, shook well, drank a little more, mixed in the rest of the powder, and continued drinking, so I got used to the taste.

Last edited:

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
On my 1100 and now my 1300 I'm using Evan's Waterless Coolant. Works well. Supposedly permanent. Doesn't pressurize the system.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
I just bought the bike 2 weeks ago, so not sure of the records. I’m all for flushing it. I looked at the service manual and it appears there are couple of drains at cylinder heads that are hard to get to, easier if removing the exhaust downpipe assembly. Are those crucial to drain? I’d like to avoid disassembly of that part...
A mentioned, there's no standardised colouring for coolant. Since there's so many formulaes for coolant, all with exact same ethylene glycol base, if you don't know what's in there, flush it to be safe. There are also several versions of propylene glycol coolants out there and they should never ever be mixed with ethylene glycol. Mixing incompatible coolants can cause them to gel up and bugger up things!

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
A mentioned, there's no standardised colouring for coolant. Since there's so many formulaes for coolant, all with exact same ethylene glycol base, if you don't know what's in there, flush it to be safe. There are also several versions of propylene glycol coolants out there and they should never ever be mixed with ethylene glycol. Mixing incompatible coolants can cause them to gel up and bugger up things!
Thanks. I think I’m going to flush it all.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
New coolant is usually good for -40 - 45F. You should change it. The only coolant I know that the manufacturer says not to mix with any other is Subaru's Long Life Coolant, which they recommend a 12 year drain interval.

Bike
VStrom 650
Do NOT remove the block drains. No need and likely it'll cause you grief.
Forget about the colours and just put type 2 in.
Keep it simple but flush with distilled water if you desire. I'd personally just change it again after a few months.
You'll only need to remove the caps and radiator drain.
Upt.

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
New coolant is usually good for -40 - 45F. You should change it. The only coolant I know that the manufacturer says not to mix with any other is Subaru's Long Life Coolant, which they recommend a 12 year drain interval.
I tested the coolant when it was still a bit warm after a ride, wonder if that caused a false reading. I’m going to test again today with cold coolant and see for sure what the reading is. If still too low, I’ll replace the coolant for sure.
Thanks.

Top Bottom