Coolant getting in oil / Cracked Cylinder

Bike
2010 ST1300
As far as trading in goes, I'm curious if your bike will now be considered salvaged w/different engine or if that's only when it goes through insurance.
Well, I tried to just quote the salvage/title part but Joe has a good point....I think you'll have to update the title to reflect the new VIN number...just an inspection at the DMV....good luck, should be a good swap.......ff
I'm missing something here. Naustin's mechanic is going to pull the engine from the wrecked bike and use it to replace the damaged engine in Mr. Austin's original bike. Engine swaps do not change the VIN or otherwise affect it. The only people who might be interested in this work would be his insurance company, and then only if the new engine had a significantly higher resale value than the original (which I doubt it does).

In fact, I'm surprised that the insurance company is getting involved at all. The mechanic is supposed to be covering the cost of his mistake (if he admitted dropping a shim in the plug hole). If he is not, I'd think naustin's collision insurance might(?) cover the cost of the new engine. Regardless the bike is not being totaled or sold to a junk yard - the one that is headed that way is the crashed bike the mechanic found which is donating its engine.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm missing something here. Naustin's mechanic is going to pull the engine from the wrecked bike and use it to replace the damaged engine in Mr. Austin's original bike. Engine swaps do not change the VIN or otherwise affect it. The only people who might be interested in this work would be his insurance company, and then only if the new engine had a significantly higher resale value than the original (which I doubt it does).

In fact, I'm surprised that the insurance company is getting involved at all. The mechanic is supposed to be covering the cost of his mistake (if he admitted dropping a shim in the plug hole). If he is not, I'd think naustin's collision insurance might(?) cover the cost of the new engine. Regardless the bike is not being totaled or sold to a junk yard - the one that is headed that way is the crashed bike the mechanic found which is donating its engine.
The insurance is not involved, no one said it was... if it was, then that's a different story.

I don't know how it's done w/cars or bikes when engines get swapped so I was simply asking as I honestly don't know the process. If an engine swap is considered the same as a seat or exhaust swap then it's not an issue. Just wouldn't want him to trade it in and find out some legal disclosure wasn't performed which might open him up for litigation later on... but, doesn't sound like it's an issue.

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
If the motor vehicle registration for your state includes both a frame # and an engine # then it will have to be updated....When I traded my GL1100 for my ST1300 it was at a Wisconsin dealer, and my title had an l instead of a 1 in the engine #, had to have it inspected at DMV and have the title corrected before trading...pain in the ***....ff

OP
OP
naustin
Bike
2007 ST1300
flyfisher is correct, MN records both the VIN and the actual Engine Number (Which are different), though the engine number is not actually listed on the title. So, I'll need to re-register the bike. No one will know or care, until I go to sell it. Or, if I wreck it and the insurance company finds the title doesn't match the Engine Number on record - I'm worried they could deny the claim in it's entirety.

My questions is: When I go to the DMV to have the title updated, will it also come back stamped as a "Salvage" since the motor was previously registered to a now insurance totaled bike in another state?

Last edited:
Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
I guess you could call an insurance agent to find out for sure, but replacing a blown engine with a different newer lower mileage unit shouldn't be considered a salvage, just a major repair...let us know what you find out....the DMV should know too, engine replacements are pretty common with interference engines in cars that blow a cam belt....good luck.....ff.....the whole frame number/motor number thing was started because years ago people would steal a Harley and "chop it" and register it as a custom rebuilt...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
flyfisher is correct, MN Titles list both the VIN and the actual Engine Number (Which are different). So, I'll need to update my title. No one will know or care, until I go to sell the bike. Or, if I wreck it and the insurance company finds the title doesn't match the Engine Number - they likely deny the claim in it's entirety.

My questions is: When I go to the DMV to have the title updated, will it also come back stamped as a "Salvage" since the motor was previously registered to a now insurance totaled bike in another state? Not sure how they would know - but again, if they ask and I don't disclose it - I've effectively voided my own comprehensive insurance coverage.....
I doubt the insurance company is going to be able to deny a claim, or void a part of your insurance coverage for something as common as an engine swap. I think before they could do that they would have to be able to prove some sort of insurance fraud on your part, which this clearly is not. Get the engine number changed on the title/registration to bring it up to date, and you won't have to find out the hard way later. But I doubt you've done anything by changing the engine that could possibly be considered insurance fraud even if you didn't update the DMV docs. The VIN on the frame is what identifies the vehicle, and that hasn't changed. The only thing I can think of that would have any insurance implications at all would be if you had a 250cc bike and wedged a 1300cc engine into it, and didn't tell them about the increased engine displacement, which is often a factor in determining the insurance rates on the vehicle. Replacing a stock motor with an identical replacement should have no impact on insurance, but it wouldn't hurt to call them and ask if you need to file any paperwork to explain the change in engine serial number on the vehicle.

OP
OP
naustin
Bike
2007 ST1300
I called the DMV. They confirmed that I need to fill out a "Vehicle Reconstruction" form and provide a photo copy of the title from the Wrecked bike, and a bill of sale on the motor in order to have my title updated to reflect the new engine number. They said that does NOT result in my bike having a "Salvage Title."

I'm sure the Insurance Company will just want a copy of all the same documents....

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I called the DMV. They confirmed that I need to fill out a "Vehicle Reconstruction" form and provide a photo copy of the title from the Wrecked bike, and a bill of sale on the motor in order to have my title updated to reflect the new engine number. They said that does NOT result in my bike having a "Salvage Title."

I'm sure the Insurance Company will just want a copy of all the same documents....
Excellent!

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Good for you....now get in shape for your Colorado run....hey, send me a pm if you wanna take a shake down ride around here........ff

OP
OP
naustin
Bike
2007 ST1300
Thanks, guys. I'm hoping for another update on the bike itself soon... Not exactly sure how much longer its going to take at this point, but will continue to update....

Bike
09 ST1300
Good to hear your bike is getting fixed. I never would of thought in a million years about that whole insurance issue with a motor replacement. Learn something new every day....

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
It appears the dealer is accepting responsibility for the engine damage by his offer to replace the engine. I would think another option would be to replace the bike. Here I am thinking that the dealer would offer you a very generous deal on your trading in the ST1300 for something new that he has in stock.

Bike
2006 ST1300
WOW....That shim bounced around in there till it imbedded in the piston and cracked the cylinder.

Certainly didn't inventory all parts on re-assembly. Is he definitely fixing this for free? it's his screw up.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
It appears the dealer is accepting responsibility for the engine damage by his offer to replace the engine.
I haven't seen any post by the OP that states this. The dealer IS fixing it with another engine, but we haven't heard that he is paying for it as well.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #

Different states, different rules. When I was rebuilding and reselling motors, we kept a paper trail of who/where the motor was purchased from, what was done to it, who it was sold to etc etc. Customer was provided with this info if needed. As far as I know, Honda does not link a vin number with an engine number, some states may require that info. If you really knew how easy it is to swap a VIN on an older motorcycle.......not that I've ever needed or wanted to do it, we always kept the legalities above board. No chance of it ever biting you in the butt years down the road.

OP
OP
naustin
Bike
2007 ST1300
I heard back from the mechanic again - he was able to obtain and forward a copy of the the salvage title from the bike that supplied the motor. He said he's into it for $775. Not sure if that includes his fuel cost in picking it up or not... The original service was to be $1,500 - including a set of PR4 tires, the Valve Adjustment, all fluids, throttle body sync, etc. etc. & pick-up/delivery of the bike about 100 miles away. I thought $1,500 was very reasonable. It was supposed to be a winter project - he picked the bike up the 1st weekend in December.... I thought I'd have it back in February sometime, but thinking back, I just told him I wanted it back before Spring. Things went sideways in 1st half of March. Now, here we are in April....

He's a one-man-show, and he said that he is now way behind with a number of his other customers as a result of the extra time on my bike. He also indicated he really hasn't touched it since he drove to Missouri and back to get the motor, which is still in the crate at this point.

He said he's planning to spend the better part of 4 days on it starting later this week - including a full service and valve inspection/adjustment on the new motor, pulling the old motor out of my bike - installing replacement motor - trouble shooting any issues (hopefully none) and then reassembly. I still don't know what he's actually planning to charge me. I'm afraid to bring it up at this point, for fear he will bring me a trailer full of parts rather than a whole motorcycle....

Feeling more and more, I should just go buy a brand new FJR and forget this whole ordeal.... :(

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Pretty ugly way to get a new FJR, but they're a really sweet ride.......good luck......ff

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
He said he's into it for $775.
The original service was to be $1,500

I still don't know what he's actually planning to charge me.

I'm afraid to bring it up at this point, for fear he will bring me a trailer full of parts rather than a whole motorcycle....
Has the topic ever been discussed that since he destroyed your engine from his own mistake, that he is paying for the engine, and all labor associated with bringing it back to the same condition as your original engine is free? If you haven't actually discussed and agreed to those terms you could be in for another shock when you pick up the bike.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300
I would never be happy with this bike, no matter how good the work. I would go to this mechanic and tell him I wanted to trade it in on a different/new motorcycle -- now.

Top Bottom