Coolant leak

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Got home from work, park in the garage, start to unload my work stuff, and Moby starts dumping coolant. Coming from the rear of the engine, so I'm thinking I've lost a hose in the V. Of course it happens when the tank is full. My house faces west, it's over 100° in my garage, so can't check it out till morning. It never got over 3 bars on temperature gauge, so I think I lost it just as I got home, but sure scared me. Any advice on how to even check it, not exactly easy to get to

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Check the coolant bottle first, might have a leak there.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Rear of the engine isn't too common for a leak in the Vee IMO.
Check your reservoir tank for leaks or overflow (left side, rear of fairing) and then check your clutch slave cylinder. Rear of engine, middle,right side.

Good luck

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
This morning I have removed the Tupperware, and refilled the water, started it up, and the only place I can see water dripping is from a hose that looks to go into the base of the oil filter? Is there any coolant lines there? Very confused right now

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Yep, I'm fairly sure it's a part of the OIL COOLING system.

Item E-20

View attachment 316202
I THINK I got it, the two lines running into the oil cooler were loose, I was able to get several turns on both lines, the one to the left wasn't very loose, but the right one was very loose (thank God for swivel drives and long extensions) let it warm up till fans kicked on, and no leak!

Bike
'06 ST1300A
As @Mr.E said, there are two hoses that connect to E-20 as part of the oil cooler. Hoses might be split or the collars might need a little snugging.

IMG_2593.jpeg

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
I feel a little dumb right now, didn't realize the bike even had an oil cooler system.....LOL. That looks to be it, so glad it wasn't were I thought it was!!

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Took it for a test ride and got it fully warm, not a drop.....WOO HOO
This is my all time favorite motorcycle (that I've owned), most have been Honda's, but this is the hardest to service one I've had. I know part of that is just from the V engine design, but dang. My last motorcycle was a Honda VF-1000R, you could take the entire fairing off in 5 minutes, part of that was that it was Honda's production version of their Endurance Racer, but servicing was so easy.

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Well I guess I patted myself on the back too soon, this morning it's leaking again. It looks to be the right side one leaking, got a couple turns on the clamp, but almost impossible to see up in there, so don't know if hose is slit or something. Can anyone tell me where the other end of the hose goes? I looked at the breakdown on Ron Ayers site but it just shows going to "E6" but I can't find where that is

• Sad
Reactions: Obo

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
I think the pipes head up towards the Thermostat housing...

If it's only the circlip that's damaged the end of the rubber pipe then it might be an idea to just cut off the damaged bit and refit - if there's enough pipe remaining to do that?
Or - put a metal (copper/brass/alum) insert in and replace the last few inches with a new rubber pipe section, that's if you have enough room to work in as it all looks a bit tight for space around there.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Just undo the front clamp, tie some arbor or speargun line to the old hose and pull it through to follow the correct path, then tie it to the new hose, and pull it back through the other way.

OP
OP
RichKat
Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Just undo the front clamp, tie some arbor or speargun line to the old hose and pull it through to follow the correct path, then tie it to the new hose, and pull it back through the other way.
That's my plan, it looks like I should be able to get it through without to much trouble. I pulled my airbox off, and can see where it runs, looks doable

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I am posting up this file photo (not my bike),,, that shows the oil cooler lines passing under the throttle bodies and rubber heat barrier. I had a similar drip/leak,, early in the season,,, that seemed to be coming down the oil cooler hoses from above. Because I had tightened the clamps at the oil cooler,,, it seemed the leak must be higher up,,, perhaps coming from pooling in the valley. Anyway,,, as I was trying to determine the source,,, I let the coolant bottle level decline to just below the lower level mark. And,, the leak stopped.

EngineBayCleaned.jpg This would indicate a coolant bottle leak,,, at that level. But why would the leak/drips be coming off the oil cooler. So I decided to keep an eye on it,,, and have put about 7k km's on it since,,, with no drips and running and cooling fine. Actually,,, my '04 runs a lot cooler than my 2012. So at this point,,, it's all a bit of a puzzle. I did buy a complete thermostat and all hose's ass'y (6k km's),,, from a recycler ($50.us approx),,, anticipating that I will be doing the major surgery at some point. If I had to replace the oil cooler line that you show,,, only, I would consider trying to fish the new hose through,,, before I removed the throttle bodies and such. Anyway,,, just wanted to add my observations in. I am not doing anything to BlueSTar at the moment,,,, as ThunderSTruck is getting the 5-way/tbs treatment. I need to ride one bike,,, in order to maintain some semblance of sanity. Best of luck with this, I am watching with interest,,, CAt'

@RichKat

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I think I can do it without pulling the throttle bodies, I think the string trick might work
Give it some thought,,,, "string" sounds light,,, and you want some reliable pulling power. When I fished a replacement clutch hydraulic line through,,, I used some 14 gauge wire,,, carefully taped at the joint, to avoid snags. You will likely get through okay,, but plan for the worst,,, cheers,,, CAt'
240416201_4463540937046812_2485302031921374378_n.jpg

Top Bottom