Coolant Leak!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
A year ago (this last weekend) I replace my thermostat using a Turbo Tom replacement. Last October on a ride to Sacramento, I started smelling coolant. Well, that was probably 5K miles ago and I finally decided to find out where it was located since everything short of pulling the radiator couldn't do the trick. Well, after pulling the radiator, there it was, the dang thermostat housing had a very small leak (never made it to the ground, that's how small it was.) :cus:

Now for a replacement o-ring! I have checked with ALL the major stealers around here and NO ONE carries one, you have to special order it! So I just ordered three from Bike Bandit. At least, I won't have to waste the gas going to a stealership to order the part, then go back and pick it up! :rolleyes:

After getting the bike running again, I'll be taking it into the Callaway Stealership in Riverside to fix my fuel gauge and while it's there, I'll have them do a Valve check/adjustment, counter balancers, adjust the idle injectors, and then bleed the brakes and clutch. Since the tupperware will be off, I should save a few bucks there. :eek::

The reason I'm taking it there, is because they do all the ST1300 Police bikes around the area. :p:

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
This was mentioned in a related thread a month or so ago, but the o-ring provided with the TT 'stat is a bit thinner than the Honda part. I opted to go with the Honda o-ring when I replaced my 'stat just to give myself some peace of mind. So far, so good.

John

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
This was mentioned in a related thread a month or so ago, but the o-ring provided with the TT 'stat is a bit thinner than the Honda part. I opted to go with the Honda o-ring when I replaced my 'stat just to give myself some peace of mind. So far, so good.

John
Yeah, I remember that thread too, (couldn't find it though). In retrospec I think going with the Honda o-ring is the smart way to go. That's why I ordered 3 of the buggers, just so I don't have to "wait" for a special order next time. Besides, I find when I order extras, I never seem to need them again. :D

STOC #
Could you post up the part number while you guys have it handy? No my thermostat is not stuck yet but I guess it will be so I'll just order the orings with my next mass order. Thanks!

Top Bottom