Coolant Leakology 101?

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Hey all, my ST seems to have developed one of the "typical" coolant leaks I've read about in previous posts. I bought the bike in October from a guy who kept it garaged. I don't have that luxury, so it's outside on the side of my house under a pretty good cover. Now that it's colder I'm getting a 1-2 minute dribble a couple minutes after start-up.

I've read many of the posts that tell me it's most likely clamps that loosen in the cold (and swell back up when it warms) and that I need to go in to either tighten the offending clamp from time to time, or replace the clamps with a Constant Torque type. My problem is I didn't really buy this bike to work on it myself, so even though the prior owner passed his Service Manual on to me I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed about "going in".

I would appreciate if someone could give me a little more specific guidance (since I still don't understand what "pop the Tupperware" means). Here's my questions:

1. In order to see the most likely leaky clamps, which of the cowls would I have to remove (lower, inner, middle, left middle, right middle)?
2. In order to tighten those clamps, would I have to disassemble any more cowls than needed to inspect?
3. The manual says the middle cowl needs a torque wrench (which I'll need to buy) PLUS I need two new Middle Cowl Bolts every time I reassemble it - is that right that new bolts are required? Or is there a work-around for that?

I appreciate any wisdom you might have to offer. I'm not a complete klutz with tools, but this bike is WAY beyond when I used to set the timing and point gaps on my old CB550 many many moons ago. Obviously if I feel too nervous about this I'm headed back to the shop for what will probably be an expensive hunting expedition...

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
It looks daunting the first time.....but it's actually pretty easy......I've never replaced bolts, or used a torque wrench for that matter on the tupperware....if you get the right side off it's probably the clamps around the thermostat housing.....if not at least you can probably see where it's leaking....my free opinion for what it's worth..............ff

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Or you could ride it down to my neck of the woods, and together we can give it the ol' OCD once over, and get you to bond with her...
PM me if interested.
Igofar

Bike
2003 GL1800A
Matman: .. my "free opinion for what it's worth"(ala ff) is: to take Igofar up on his kind offer. He is a tremendous guy and teach you way more than you can anticipate. Also, the worksheets that V8-7 entered the link to, were originally created by a GitSum who is a S. Cal guy.. maybe he is a neighbor ??.. I have found the folks on this forum to be wonderfully helpful and willing to share their ST1300 experiences and info. If you end up in Igofar's garage, let me know I'd like to take a spin down and buy ya'll pizza ... or sumthin'.. My best, RM

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST 1300
I'd love to do that, but 400+ miles one way is a bit much for me right now. Thanks for the offer, though!

Top Bottom