Coolant leaks

This seems to be in my future as well. After setting through the deep freeze we had over Christmas and then the late Indian summer we're now experiencing I found a small amount of coolant under my bike when I puller it out to work on the brakes the other day. While talking with Larry we discovered there was about a 2° difference between Tucson and Emlenton, PA.

Often I hear you guys mention the plastic "tee" cracking. The "tee" seems to be dry. I did notice dampness at the square hole so I've probably got some hoses that should be tightened. It sounds like a few o-rings to change as well. I've got all of the fairings off the right side. I'm guessing that I'll need to pull them from the left side as well in order to pull the radiator. I'm thinking as a preventive maintenance I wouldn't mind replacing the "tee" and maybe some of the hoses. Is there a benefit to the constant pressure type clamps? Or just snug up the screw type?
1672768712793.png

Be careful what you wish for.
Your liable to find out just how much your bike can be improved upon.
I'd gladly ride over, but it's a bit over 2000 miles and 31-32 hours each way. :( I'm sure we would have a good time our hands dirty together.

Bike
St1300PA
When I did a water pump on my 03 I drilled a inspection hole in the water pump cover so I could look in there and see if it’s the weep hole or the water pump is leaking and I found a rubber plug for the inspection hole, you need a mirror to check it but it’s better than taking the cover off to see what’s leaking.

When I did a water pump on my 03 I drilled a inspection hole in the water pump cover so I could look in there and see if it’s the weep hole or the water pump is leaking and I found a rubber plug for the inspection hole, you need a mirror to check it but it’s better than taking the cover off to see what’s leaking.
Did you take any pictures?

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
I put on a topic about a Coolant Leak and the message came back--"This topic was removed as it was in the wrong section."But there was no indication what was the right section. Where does this topic show what section it is in ? Should it be put in General section or Main section ?
While I am here I can suggest the leaks on thin overflow tubes is partly caused by the tube getting harder from the temperature , then only being held on with silly thin spring clips ,but mainly due to alloy corrosion pushing out against the tube and bursting it .

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I put on a topic about a Coolant Leak and the message came back--"This topic was removed as it was in the wrong section."But there was no indication what was the right section. Where does this topic show what section it is in ? Should it be put in General section or Main section ?
While I am here I can suggest the leaks on thin overflow tubes is partly caused by the tube getting harder from the temperature , then only being held on with silly thin spring clips ,but mainly due to alloy corrosion pushing out against the tube and bursting it .
You put it in the general section... should go into st1300 leaks sub forum.

Top Bottom