Coolant replacement

Hey guys, I removed all the Tupperware for a coolant change but I'm wondering about the draining procedure? I'm aware to drain the radiator by removing the lower coolant hose and also draining and cleaning the overflow, but I also see the SM shows removing the drain bolt from the right cylinder head. There's a similar bolt on the left side cylinder head aswell? should I be removing that to drain that side? Thanks for the info in advance!!

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
From what I've read, the additional draining isn't worth the effort. Just flush it well, and fill it properly.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The lower radiator hose is not at the lowest point of the radiator. I used a small vinyl hose and would siphon out what’s left.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I removed the cylinder jacket drain screw once . It's tucked away behind the exhaust. It is relatively easy to get off, but getting it back in position to start the thread is really quite difficult. I've never bothered since - the amount of coolant that comes out isn't worth the effort.

Once filled, engine warmed and blipped. Check the reservoir level after your first ride - It may have dropped significantly. You can remove the access cover to get at the filler neck. I use a flashlight. If you can see fluid, it is full. If not, the flaslight shining in will make it easier to see the level from the side.

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
If you're going to follow the SM, there's only one Cylinder Head bolt, Right Side only. Have fun!

Top Bottom