Cooling Fans

I was hoping somebody might be able to offer advice, my ST1300 cooling fans shut down straight away when I switch off, shouldn't they over run after they bike has been running a while? I have swapped the relay, no change. I was wondering if it there was a temperature sensor on the radiator causing the issue. Thanks..

OP
OP
The fans on my 2006 stop when the ignition is turned off.
Thanks for the reply, I've only recently picked the bike up, and I think the fans are running all the time. I know that this is not as it should be, but not sure what to check next.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think the fans are running all the time.
It looks like you're talking about two different conditions. First yes they don't run after the IGN is turned off. Second do you mean they whenever you turn the IGN on? That shouldn't be. They should run when the engine/coolant gets too warm. They're quite loud when they kick in. If your heat gauge shows less than three bars when first starting and warming up I doubt the fans should be running.

OP
OP
It looks like you're talking about two different conditions. First yes they don't run after the IGN is turned off. Second do you mean they whenever you turn the IGN on? That shouldn't be. They should run when the engine/coolant gets too warm. They're quite loud when they kick in. If your heat gauge shows less than three bars when first starting and warming up I doubt the fans should be running.
Thanks for the advice, I've done a little more investigating, the fans are fine, relay operating okay, heat gauge steady on three bars so all appears fine. I was concerned that after a ride out that when you switched off the fans would shut down. All previous bikes owned had an overrun to allow the engine to cool down. Seems that the ST1300 would or could do with one.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Seems that the ST1300 would or could do with one.
I remember riding in a VW that had a fan that ran after the IGN was switched off. WTW?? :D The 1300's battery probably wouldn't be up to task except when brand new - and that's a maybe. It's battery is somewhat marginal as is.

Bike
R1200rt
No point in running the fan if the water pump isn't circulating coolant.
sure there is, If its really hot a thermosyphon could aid in cooling. Its actually not a bad idea. Probably not needed here but some cars use it.

Top Bottom