Corbin Smuggler Backrest Pad

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200
My smuggler came with a backrest pad that is approximately 1" thick. I believe a 2" thick pad is an option although I am unable to locate it on their website. Mine is woefully inadequate in providing any support to my back side. I believe the 2" wouldn't be much better.

Has anyone modified their Smuggler backrest pad making it thicker and/or larger? Thoughts, comments and/or pictures are greatly appreciated.

MTGMTT

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I have both the 1" and the 2" THE 2" Is just enough for me. Any automotive reupholster could fix you up I'm sure. I have a guy in town that fix up my brothers seat for only $40.00 I'm sure it wouldn't be that much.
Lyle

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
Mine was with the bike when I bought it. It looks like about 2 inches thick. It's too short to offer any support, the pad seems to just be there to pad the hard plastic for your comfort.

OP
OP
Cunados

Cunados

STexan 1300
Bike
2013 Yamaha XTZ1200
I have both the 1" and the 2" THE 2" Is just enough for me. Any automotive reupholster could fix you up I'm sure. I have a guy in town that fix up my brothers seat for only $40.00 I'm sure it wouldn't be that much.
Lyle
The other day I stopped by a local upholstery shop, middle of no where, rural central Arkansas, one man shop. Was on my bike, showed him what I wanted (make the pad 3" thick) and bam $125. I smiled politely, thanked him for his time and down the road I went.

Didn't think I was over dressed, saw no need to question his business acumen.

MTGMTT

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Your right the pad is just so your not up against the plastic. I like it so when I twist the throttle it stops me just nice. Check the phone book I'm sure some one will do it for $30.00 or so $125 I would tell him to go **** himself. What I would do is make a copy of the mounting plate (wood 3/8) of one you have, shape and bolt spacing (try it first in the smuggler) then you just need to add foam and leather (vinyl) might be more enticing for some one to help you out. Just thinking out loud here. I hope that helps and good luck.
Lyle

Woodchuck

(Lyle)
Bike
2018 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
There you go Mike is willing to help you out.
Thanks Mike I was going to say if he does all that he could do it himself. (In Alligator;))
Lyle

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Has anyone modified their Smuggler backrest pad making it thicker and/or larger? Thoughts, comments and/or pictures are greatly appreciated.
On my Corbin smuggler,,, I have the 2" pad,,, and it's not quite enough for my riding position. I will increase it's thickness using a handy high density black foam rubber available from the corner hardware here. It is sold as a product for gardening,,, as a kneeling pad. It is good quality,, and low cost, and easy to work with. At about 1" thickness,,, I used it in may applications. This will allow me to test the fit,,, before I worry about making it pretty. On my other bike,,, I have a non-Corbin Super-Smuggler which is about 3 times the volume. To create back rests on that,,, I incorporated one lower pouch that carries my folded bike cover. And an upper pouch that carries a first-aid kit,, pens and important papers. But no room for all that on the Corbin Smuggler,,, unfortunately. But that ST13 stays close to home anyway. I will post a pic,, once there is something to show,,, likely in the spring,,, cheers,,, CAt'

Top Bottom