Cornering or Turning (I searched no results!?)

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Someone on this site< a while back, had a bad tank slapper weave at about 105 mph with a car tire on the rear. He stated that he never had the weave before the car tire. If your dragging a knee at 80 mph stick with a motorcycle tire IMO. As far as snow and ice are concerned I'm sure any tire won't work.
Al - there have been tank slappers reported with motorcycle tires. So I should not run them either?

If the OP understands there are risks involved with any tire you put on your bike, the only way to find out if it is for you, try it.

Bike
R1200rt
Al - there have been tank slappers reported with motorcycle tires. So I should not run them either?

If the OP understands there are risks involved with any tire you put on your bike, the only way to find out if it is for you, try it.
yes kevin don't put tires on your bike there is less rolling resistance ............. someone asked the question , the answer is an opinion (ref IMO) based on a older post , his described riding style and information. Yes I failed to reference the " Pan Weave" So next time someone asks a question the universal answer should be "You won't know till you try it"

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
yes kevin don't put tires on your bike there is less rolling resistance ............. someone asked the question , the answer is an opinion (ref IMO) based on a older post , his described riding style and information. Yes I failed to reference the " Pan Weave" So next time someone asks a question the universal answer should be "You won't know till you try it"
The OP asked for those riding dark side, what are your experiences (not you personally). but you have none, I do. I had no problem carving corners, no problem with grip while leaned over, no problem going straight, no problem in rain. Over all a good warm fuzzy. I was also running a rear tire on the front. Yes it took more pressure on the bars to initiate a turn, but unless you switched bikes with one on motorcycle tires, you really did not notice that extra initial input. Bottom line IMO is to really know, you have to do it yourself.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I've not ridden darkside/CT (the legalities here wouldn't be worth it), but I have run a 200 on a 160 rim...

1st: More push to initiate a turn.
2nd: Have to hold to keep it in a turn.
Felt a lot like that, running a tyre 40 wider than spec. Rode like it was on rails though, and would happily stand itself up just by getting hard on the gas.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I've not ridden darkside/CT (the legalities here wouldn't be worth it), but I have run a 200 on a 160 rim...
In another group I belong to there are a number of folks in the UK running C/T. Not sure how/what are the legalities and what the solutions, but it is being done.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
someone asked the question , the answer is an opinion (ref IMO) based on a older post

he OP asked for those riding dark side, what are your experiences (not you personally). but you have none, I do. I had no problem carving corners, no problem with grip while leaned over, no problem going straight, no problem in rain.
I read the post the same way Kevin, just momentarily held off on saying something.

If 1 person tries something and it presents a problem, but they can't/don't prove the problem is existing beause of one modification and without baselines then it is a an anomly not a statement of fact.

Facts:
Plenty of folks go north of 100 on car tire without a wobble.
Wobble can occur for a multitiude of reasons, regardless or because of tire.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
In another group I belong to there are a number of folks in the UK running C/T. Not sure how/what are the legalities and what the solutions, but it is being done.
Lots of things are being done, here in the UK. For example, I used to run a sportsbike with an illegally loud exhaust (loud pipes save... etc), and an equally illegally loud horn setup (and it was also two-tone, which is also illegal in itself).

I don't doubt others are running C/T in the UK, on a casual glance, no-one would know. Lots of sympathetic MOT stations exist that would simply choose not to look during the annual inspection (lots take the view of "well, the document in front of me doesn't say it's wrong, so it must be OK, and their laws are different to the on-the-road laws).

But where I live, LEO are very keen on stopping bikes (though this has relaxed a bit in the last 10 or so years), and acutely trained in what to look for. C/T simply isn't worth it for me personally, though I don't begrudge anyone that does.

Bike
R1200rt
I read the post the same way Kevin, just momentarily held off on saying something.

If 1 person tries something and it presents a problem, but they can't/don't prove the problem is existing beause of one modification and without baselines then it is a an anomly not a statement of fact.

Facts:
Plenty of folks go north of 100 on car tire without a wobble.
Wobble can occur for a multitiude of reasons, regardless or because of tire.
yes , I agree and if I had a 1300 I would probably put a CT on it. It was also stated he is a knee dragger. When he said that I thought, again IMO, he would feel more comfortable pushing the limits as it sounds like he does, with a MC tire. But you can't make a major change with out at least thinking about unintended consequences.

Had a car tire on a VTX 1300, went through the Tail of the Dragon multiple times scraping pegs even. Would consider it on this bike as it will be my long distance hwy bike most of the time.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
To answer the second part of the OP question:
Yes, there have been some issues. However, no more so than I would expect on any tires. Every now and then... you pick something up from the road and you get a flat. It's life. I know others have, but I wouldn't used them on high speed runs or on a track. I would be tempted to do IBA rides with them (definately).

However, I wouldn't use the tread depth as an indicator for how long you should keep the CT on the bike (IMO). Very much dependent on tire used, construction technique, and varying materials different manufacturers claim is "better". The early blow out Al had in this latest IBR looked as though the side blew out... but I really don't know the whole story, what kind of tire, pressure used, how old, etc, etc. Could be just as likely it was "after the fact" damage once he lost pressure.

I would imagine the tip in going into a corner would not be a whole lot different than when your dual compound GT tires square off towards the end of their life. (But... I don't like that either...)

I cant imagine worrying what kind of tire to use if your looking to ride in snow and ice.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I rode with The Dan at Spearfish. He's a Double Darkside rider. He didn't have any issues riding twisty roads at very fast speeds.

Chris

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I rode with The Dan at Spearfish. He's a Double Darkside rider. He didn't have any issues riding twisty roads at very fast speeds.

Chris
Did the same thing 2 years ago with Dan and Guy who is also running dark. It was a quick tour of the Black Hills.

Top Bottom