Corrosion on Caliper Bolts

Bike
ST13
I was pulling my front wheel for a tire change and found a fair amount of corrosion on the caliper bolts/threads. Do you guys have a recommendation to prevent or reduce corrosion in a place like this where you are using loc-tite?
Thanks,
Hamp

JZH

International Bodger
If those are ALOC bolts, they have a thread locking agent on them already, and once you torque them to spec, you stretch them to the point where they should not be re-used (so says Honda, anyway!), so there's no reason to use Loctite... ;)

Ciao,

OP
OP
bikotic
Bike
ST13
These had the red loctite/locking agent (don't know why red - they were really tight). But using any lube along with loctite (whether factory or mine) is, I believe, not the way to go. Though I did read somewhere loctite was coming out (or has come out) with a product you can use in an oily environment. I have not followed up on that.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
These had the red loctite/locking agent (don't know why red - they were really tight).
Honda's medium-duty thread locker is red and shouldn't be hard to break. If you're not the first owner of your bike, someone may have re-used the bolts and put red Loc Tite on them. You wouldn't be the first who's run into that.

--Mark

OP
OP
bikotic
Bike
ST13
Thanks Blrfl. I think I'm going to change my the pads. They are all still plenty good except the inside pads on the left side. I've been looking for articles on uneven brake wear to see if there is something special I should look for to make sure that doesn't happen again... I hate changing the other pads when they have so much life left. Just read Mellow's excellent write up cleaning the rear pistons - I'll use that for the front. Would you guys ever consider changing out only one side on the front (I mean both left or both right)?

Top Bottom