CPAP

I do enjoy camping, all alone, just me and the open road. Just that due to needing a CPAP at night I have to chose campsites with a poweroutlet available, the problem with that is you tend to find them overcrowded and full of screaming kids.
I would like to camp somewhere where I fancy and with not a soul for miles. I have an adapter for the cpap that plugs into a car´s socket and you can run it all night wilthout having to look forward to pushstarting your car.
Has anybody done this on a motorbike?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I use an auxiliary lithium battery jump start pack with my RSMED portable mini CPAP. I plug it into my bike to charge it while riding during the day. You can but special battery packs for your CPAP but the official ones are very expensive.

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
Slammer
I use an auxiliary lithium battery jump start pack with my RSMED portable mini CPAP. I plug it into my bike to charge it while riding during the day. You can but special battery packs for your CPAP but the official ones are very expensive.
That is interesting, but over a thousand big ones is a bit too much at the moment.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Had to look up 'CPAP' - then realised a friend uses one! ...Web sites put power consumption at between 50 and 70 watts, which is going to be hard to maintain all night without some careful thought. Bdalameda has the right idea...

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just bought two batteries for my CPAP for my Newfoundland trip.
They supposed can be hooked together to run the machine all night.
I bought mine from Bix Power - about $250 a piece which includes shipping.
Since I have to run mine at high pressure, it required 2 for a whole night.
I've got to test them in use but they come with AC and DC (cigar plug) cords for charging.
Just did a 'charging' test as I rode down to T.J.'s funeral on one of my ST1100s and they seem to charge fine.

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I have two CPAP-specific batteries to power my travel CPAP. The machine is the ResMed Air Mini, batteries are Freedom V2. They're making the trip with me when I bicycle across the country starting in two weeks.

Each battery is good for a night and a half or so (as I use them; less if you have heated tubing, etc.), and they can be daisy chained so I can go as many as three nights before I have to find power.

It takes five hours each on a wall outlet to bring them from flat dead to full charge. I dunno about charging from a vehicle.

Linky

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I just bought two batteries for my CPAP for my Newfoundland trip.
They supposed can be hooked together to run the machine all night.
I bought mine from Bix Power - about $250 a piece which includes shipping.
Since I have to run mine at high pressure, it required 2 for a whole night.
I've got to test them in use but they come with AC and DC (cigar plug) cords for charging.
Just did a 'charging' test as I rode down to T.J.'s funeral on one of my ST1100s and they seem to charge fine.
When are you going to NFL, UP?

OP
OP
Slammer
I have my cpap set at hovercraft level and never bother with ramp and I must admit... *Ahem!* I use it to blow up the LiLo when camping.
But only on a powersocket.

I was thinking about using two batteries with some sort of switching unit in the same configuration you sometimes find on sailboats. I did the math and think that using a police rated altenator would charge them enough to use. But for safety I would also have a power connection running from 220V stepped down to the bikes 12V systems to load form a petrol station if needed. For instance.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just a note - this thread prompted me to test my battery set up last night.
With the two batteries hooked together the CPAP ran 10 hours at high pressure before running out of juice.
The batteries are 4 1/2"X 7 1/2" X 1" in size.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
this thread prompted me to test my battery set up last night.
Always a good thing to establish the performance baseline while there's still time to make adjustments, isn't it? Glad you're set.

Maybe you can do a deal with @Jim C-G to put your batteries in his trailer to pick up some solar charging while you're on the road each day?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Always a good thing to establish the performance baseline while there's still time to make adjustments, isn't it? Glad you're set.
Maybe you can do a deal with @Jim C-G to put your batteries in his trailer to pick up some solar charging while you're on the road each day?
I already have a cigar plug in my trunk and have tested it in a road trip.
Simple routine - Sena, MP3 player, camera batteries, GPS will get charged at night (trunk plug is always 'hot' for that purpose.
Laptop and two CPAP batteries will get charged in the trunk during the day while riding.
Is this called 'living off the grid sorta of?" :biggrin:

OP
OP
Slammer
Just a note - this thread prompted me to test my battery set up last night.
With the two batteries hooked together the CPAP ran 10 hours at high pressure before running out of juice.
The batteries are 4 1/2"X 7 1/2" X 1" in size.
Did the bike start or did it just go *click*?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Did the bike start or did it just go *click*?
I charged the CPAP batteries while riding to and from T.J.'s funeral (about 300 miles).
They were also charging during the funeral and the bike was not running (several hours as we got there early and left late).
No problems at all with starting the bike.
I used them in 'standalone' mode (not hooked to anything but the CPAP) last night so I could see how long the batteries lasted in use - 10 hours +- to complete depletion- which is plenty.

Last night I 'test charged' my Sena, Creative MP3 jukebox and my GPS all night long without the bike running.
Plenty of juice when I fired her up this morning and all three devices were fully charged.
These devices don't seem to suck much juice out of the MotoBatt AGM battery that I used in all of my ST1100s.
I figure the CPAP batteries and the laptop will probably suck more juice to charge.
Since I won't need them during the day, I'll charge them while I am riding.

Top Bottom