CPAP

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
A couple things to note on this.

A lot of the commercial battery packs are kind of limited in size. Many times this is because there are caps on how big the battery can be and be allowed on an airplane for travel. This is where a build your own battery can come in handy because you can make them bigger to get you through maybe a couple nights. This is fine, just don't expect to get on an airplane with it. Well you might sneak it in but there are rules for these. Granted rules in Germany or Europe may be different than here in the US. I am not sure but that is why I didn't mention what those caps are.

It seems like CPAP machines come in two flavors. 12V and 24V. It is important to know what power requirement yours has. While you can run it off a converter that has a 12V plug, it would likely be more efficient to run a 12V model than a 24V and skip the converters. My CPAP Machines are all 24V so my battery pack is designed to output direct 24V. The drawback is that it would make it a bit more of a challenge to charge off a motorcycle 12V system. Not impossible but things are easier if all 12V. Many times the travel CPAPs are 12V for this reason. They are also smaller.

Anything that provides heat will drain the batteries faster. I saw this mentioned about the heated hose but the same goes for the humidifier. While at home I run a heated hose and humidifier but when I am camping, I have a different unit (one of my old ones) that I bring which I don't even bother bringing the humidifier module and use a regular hose. In addition to saving battery power, it saves space. Also, things get beat up a bit more traveling so I would rather cause this wear and tear on an older unit. The one that I travel with was replaced because the humidifier control started to fail. Well, that is fine because I don't even take that part of the unit with me.

They are not cheap, but this is what I use.

I take it with when I travel with my old CPAP. I also use it at home. We don't lose power a lot, but it acts like a battery backup as it hooks up inline between the power supply for the CPAP and the machine. When you have power, it tops it off and then just passes the 24V through the unit. If the power goes out in the middle of the night, it just keeps on trucking.

Another unrelated tip. Since I leave the humidifier and heated tube at home when camping, I discovered this. It isn't a replacement for the heated hose and humidifier. Especially in the winter months when it is very dry, but it is better than nothing. There are these small pods that hook up between the hose and mask that can help.

There is a member offering a free CPAP battery in the For Sale-->Free forum. It is specific to the ResMed Air Mini model

There is a member offering a free CPAP battery in the For Sale-->Free forum. It is specific to the ResMed Air Mini model
Hey guys. That was my battery and it went to another motorcyclist. Hopefully it will work as well for him as it did for me.

Top Bottom