Cracked the fuel joint tube after lifting main tank to replace air filter

Bike
ST and K1600
2006 ST1300A with 9,500 miles. I cracked the "fuel joint tube" (name from parts diagram) when I lifted the fuel tank to replace the air filter. Igofar quickly returned my phone call for help (thanks Larry!). Larry sent photos to explain the procedure for draining the main tank of fuel prior to removing it and replacing the hose. I ordered the replacement hose from the dealer today, hope it will arrive by end of next week. I will update this post with more photos once I begin the repair.

Attachments

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
It's too bad someone hasn't come up with a superior replacement alternative. Yes the OEM works when new, but it will age again. There's also the possibility the one you get will be new old stock, so I read into that as "pre aged."

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
2006 ST1300A with 9,500 miles. I cracked the "fuel joint tube" (name from parts diagram) when I lifted the fuel tank to replace the air filter. Igofar quickly returned my phone call for help (thanks Larry!). Larry sent photos to explain the procedure for draining the main tank of fuel prior to removing it and replacing the hose. I ordered the replacement hose from the dealer today, hope it will arrive by end of next week. I will update this post with more photos once I begin the repair.
NOTE: These pictures were gathered and shared from other forum members, I take no credit for the actual pictures.

Bike
2010 ST1300
2006 ST1300A with 9,500 miles. I cracked the "fuel joint tube" (name from parts diagram) when I lifted the fuel tank to replace the air filter.
I don't understand something. If you cracked the hose, then the tank would be self draining - and quickly at that. Or did you simply get a crack and not a complete rupture? If the latter, you were lucky.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's too bad someone hasn't come up with a superior replacement alternative. Yes the OEM works when new, but it will age again. There's also the possibility the one you get will be new old stock, so I read into that as "pre aged."
It doesn’t crack with age. The Honda design is rife with the opportunity to tear the hose. The tank’s hinge which is also the seat height adjuster to be shifted to the proper position and kept there while the front is raised. If the tank hinge shifts from the maintenance position while raising the tank the stress on the joint hose tears it or cuts it with the sharp edge of the metal tube the joint hose slips over.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I just take the complete tank off to change the air filter and have never split a hose in 217,000 miles.
I did a semi tank removal recently,,, which was even less work. First,,, I had run the upper tanks fuel level down,, well below 2 bars,, before digging in. Then,, removed the front tank hold down bolts and the one long rear keeper bolt. Slide the tank joining tube off, at the lower tank, after releasing the lower hose clamp. Then, I just put that chunk of foam and an old towel under the back of the tank,, and after tipping the tank back,, held it in place with a bungee cord or two. I did not have to unplug any other hoses or wires. This allows great access to the air-box. And does not stress the tank joint hose. And if you have heli-bar or mcl bar risers,,, interference when tipping the tank is not an issue. Just one more way to skin a cat,,,,, cheers,, CAt'

20200412_133032.jpg

OP
OP
SFAlan
Bike
ST and K1600
I don't understand something. If you cracked the hose, then the tank would be self draining - and quickly at that. Or did you simply get a crack and not a complete rupture? If the latter, you were lucky.
Just a crack.. the fuel spewed out only when the tank is lifted. It stops dripping when the tank is back down.

OP
OP
SFAlan
Bike
ST and K1600
It doesn’t crack with age. The Honda design is rife with the opportunity to tear the hose. The tank’s hinge which is also the seat height adjuster to be shifted to the proper position and kept there while the front is raised. If the tank hinge shifts from the maintenance position while raising the tank the stress on the joint hose tears it or cuts it with the sharp edge of the metal tube the joint hose slips over.
Exactly.. this was my first filter change, so I raised the tank two or three times just to understand the procedure.. it was on the 4th raise that the hose cracked.. something I did that time cracked it, vs. the first time. This is the first time the tank has been raised since the bike was new. (bike only has 9500 miles on it)

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST1300
Sorry to hear about this. As a rule of thumb always raise the tank with no more than two bars on the fuel gauge. At that point there is no fuel in the upper tank. Also, I would advise to order a new clip for the side that goes on the lower tank. This will make the job much easier for the cost of about $4. I just replaced my joint hose after 16 yrs. The old one really did look ok. So they do last a long time, maybe forever if you follow precaution and good mechanics.

OP
OP
SFAlan
Bike
ST and K1600
I did a semi tank removal recently,,, which was even less work. First,,, I had run the upper tanks fuel level down,, well below 2 bars,, before digging in. Then,, removed the front tank hold down bolts and the one long rear keeper bolt. Slide the tank joining tube off, at the lower tank, after releasing the lower hose clamp. Then, I just put that chunk of foam and an old towel under the back of the tank,, and after tipping the tank back,, held it in place with a bungee cord or two. I did not have to unplug any other hoses or wires. This allows great access to the air-box. And does not stress the tank joint hose. And if you have heli-bar or mcl bar risers,,, interference when tipping the tank is not an issue. Just one more way to skin a cat,,,,, cheers,, CAt'

20200412_133032.jpg
Hey Catman, thanks for the response.. when you say "I did not have to unplug any other hoses or wires".. surely, before lifting the tank, you had to first remove the cord attached to the upper tank that prevents the upper tank from lifting beyond the length of the support rod? Also, what is your procedure to remove the clamp on the joint tube? i.e. do you use just a pair of pliers, or maybe channel lock pliers? I'll be doing this work tomorrow (Sat) because the hose finally arrived at my Honda dealer today.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
you had to first remove the cord attached to the upper tank
That cable was removed by my previous owner,,, and since I never tip the tank with the fuel hose installed,,, it's absence is not an issue. Likewise,,, I don't have any use for the prop rod. Both items are in a parts box somewhere. Have you run your fuel load down below 2-bars,, prior to tomorrow's servicing ?? Oh,,, and for the lower fuel hose clamp,,, I just grab a pair of battery pliers,,, but anything would do. I don't understand the hype over these clamps. Mine are very routine,,,, cheers,,, CAt'

Bike
2010 ST1300
Oh,,, and for the lower fuel hose clamp,,, I just grab a pair of battery pliers,,, but anything would do. I don't understand the hype over these clamps.
Alan, we have to have an alternative to oil threads.:biggrin:

OP
OP
SFAlan
Bike
ST and K1600
Finally got around to replacing the fuel hose. Appreciate the guidance from both Igofar and Catmandu2, I could not have done it without their help. I followed Igofar's instructions to remove the seat bracket and disconnect the hose from the fuel pump. I followed Catman's advice to not remove any other hoses, just lay the fuel tank over after removing the fuel hose. I was careful to not put any tension on the two other hose connections on the underside of the upper tank, which required removing them from the guide hooks attached to the upper tank which are intended to hold them in a certain position under the upper tank. By removing those two hoses from the guide hooks, it gave more slack which allowed laying the tank completely on its back. I was sure to put a blanket under the upper tank before laying it back onto the frame. That allowed me to detach the fuel hose from the upper tank. See attached photo showing the crack that I somehow caused when raising the tank to replace my air filter. After replacing the hose into the upper tank, I then lowered the tank back down. Then I reattached the fuel hose to the connection on the lower tank. I did use penetrating oil for both removing and re-attaching the hose. Now that I understand how the fuel hose connects to both the upper and lower tank, I will always disconnect it going forward when I need to access the air box, rather than using the connecting rod to tip the fuel tank back. Somehow, tipping the tank back caused my hose to crack. Always just detach the hose first and then raise and lift the tank back to access the air box.

honda hose.jpg

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Good Job Alan!
Oh, and thanks for the kind words, always just a phone call away if you need anything buddy.
:WCP1:

Cheddarhead

Smell the Dairy Air!
Bike
2003 ST1300...the "O
STOC #
Finally got around to replacing the fuel hose. Appreciate the guidance from both Igofar and Catmandu2, I could not have done it without their help. I followed Igofar's instructions to remove the seat bracket and disconnect the hose from the fuel pump. I followed Catman's advice to not remove any other hoses, just lay the fuel tank over after removing the fuel hose. I was careful to not put any tension on the two other hose connections on the underside of the upper tank, which required removing them from the guide hooks attached to the upper tank which are intended to hold them in a certain position under the upper tank. By removing those two hoses from the guide hooks, it gave more slack which allowed laying the tank completely on its back. I was sure to put a blanket under the upper tank before laying it back onto the frame. That allowed me to detach the fuel hose from the upper tank. See attached photo showing the crack that I somehow caused when raising the tank to replace my air filter. After replacing the hose into the upper tank, I then lowered the tank back down. Then I reattached the fuel hose to the connection on the lower tank. I did use penetrating oil for both removing and re-attaching the hose. Now that I understand how the fuel hose connects to both the upper and lower tank, I will always disconnect it going forward when I need to access the air box, rather than using the connecting rod to tip the fuel tank back. Somehow, tipping the tank back caused my hose to crack. Always just detach the hose first and then raise and lift the tank back to access the air box.

honda hose.jpg
I'm stuck...trying to remove the upper tank to access the throttle bodies and harnesses beneath, in searc of the expected damage to the harnesses due to mice.

I've got:
The tank in a position where I can tip it back.
The fasteners and the upper airbox cover removed.
The pin through the seat height adjustment removed.
Upper tank drained.
I can move the tank "vertically"...but it is held in place by the large hose at the rear.

I can't get to the upper end of the large hose to release the tension clamp and slide the hose off the bib.

Is there another trick to do this?

Do I need to remove the bracket that holds the Seat Height adjustment completely?

Obviously I'm not much of a mechanic...sure would appreciate some tutoring here!

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Don't try to remove the hose from the tank.
Leave the hose attached to the upper tank, and remove it from where it connects to the lower tank.

Top Bottom