Crazy Headers!

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
Picked up my ST1300 a week ago and did a complete strip down & major service, so, looking at the bike side on and comparing it to my Boss Hoss (V8) I'm thinking why have Honda designed such curvy header pipes with all those flow restricting bends?

A straight 2 into 1 collector each side then down & back towards the rear of the bike makes more sense, similar to my Hoss - I'm unable to fathom the logic and would appreciate an explanation if there's one available...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Intake and exhaust tuning is not based on looks but rather on how the intakes and headers increase combustion chamber efficiency with not only efficient flow but also by creating precisely timed pressure waves that compliment valve lift and timing. Looking at a 5.7 liter Chevrolet V8 compared to the ST's compact V4 I marvel how Honda gets 99 hp per liter that goes 300,000 plus miles while the V8 makes only 60 hp per liter.

OP
OP
Mr.E

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
Thank you Dave, I tend to apply logic to how things look in the 1st instance and also compare to nature (a river) where bends tend to get turbulent, messy and complicated.
Honda would have and exacting science applied to their headers I know but the Engineer in me is always looking for answers... I can't help it! :)

Bike
2006 ST1300
Also, the Honda engineers wanted equal lengths on all the headers, to balance the back pressure. Very important for the smooth delivery of power on a more limited displacement engine.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
......but the Engineer in me is always looking for answers... I can't help it! :)
How bout looking for this answer then......
Why do engineers....or whoever.....use screws/bolts/fasteners with 5-6 different sizes or head designs when ONE size/head would suffice??????
:doh1:
Thinking of all the body panels mainly....but there are others.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
ST exhaust manifold are not only equal length, thery're also balanced... harmonics and that...

And that one is for a V8:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Form before function comes to mind with the comment about appearance etc.
All the HD guys who Fab custom looking exhausts to look pretty and fit angles and appearance lines often find out that their bikes run very poorly when finished etc.
I spent a lot of my youth welding expansion chambers for two stroke dirt bikes and flat track bikes, a tuned pipe is what works, not one that looks like it would work :rofl1:

Top Bottom