Cree LED Headlight Bulbs on MY 2004 ST1100 - What a difference!

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Re: Just installed Cree LED Headlight Bulbs on MY 2004 ST1100. What a difference!

So for the actual installation of these bulbs, all that needs to be done is to mount them on the adaptor shims? (my 1100 as well as the 1300). Then do whatever is necessary for the connections.
I confess I found the pics a little confusing. So it looks like the infamous 1100 shim is being used as the new base instead of just cutting off the two lower tabs on the H4 base as is commonly done with Silverstars etc?
Same question

Bike
ST1300
Re: Just installed Cree LED Headlight Bulbs on MY 2004 ST1100. What a difference!

What shims? Shims aren't necessary for regular/halogen H4 bulbs in the 1300. Why are they needed for this install?
The Stock Bulbs used on the ST1300 have a proprietary bulb base with a different positional orientation to disallow use of standard H4 Bulbs. I read somewhere that had to do with a DOT requirement here in the US not allowing a headlight assembly to have a bulb wattage not to exceed 90 Watts combined, thus Honda had these “Proprietary Bulbs” made for them for this model, possibly for the ST1100 too. :shrug2:

You will need these H4 Bulb Shim Adaptors to do the conversion correctly. I've been using them for over 5 years with standard H4 Bulbs. I "Reused" mine with my H4 LED Conversion.

I may have a picture of these two bulbs side by side. Then you will see the reason for the "Adaptor Shims". Let me see if I can find it for you all this evening or as time permits.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

The Stock Bulbs used on the ST1300 have a proprietary bulb base with a different positional orientation to disallow use of standard H4 Bulbs.
Yes. This is why the lower two tabs of the standard H4 bulb are removed or bent back when using Silverstars and the like. There are a few threads regarding the modding.

thus Honda had these “Proprietary Bulbs” made for them for this model, possibly for the ST1100 too.
No the 1100 uses standard H4 bulbs as does the Pan European 1300.

You will need these H4 Bulb Shim Adaptors to do the conversion correctly. I've been using them for over 5 years with standard H4 Bulbs. I "Reused" mine with my H4 LED Conversion.
If you search the forum you'll find more than a couple threads that show you don't need them for the 1300. The single tab at 12 o'clock is enough to correctly orient the bulb. Some riders use the shims anyway. The 1100 needs all three tabs or the angle of the bulb is changed. The shims correct that.

I thought there might be something different with these LED H4 replacements. If their H4 base is the same as any other then I would think the shims would likewise be unnecessary. Using them wouldn't impair any function but it might be a little harder to clip the bail. A pic would be appreciated when you get the time.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I just installed these on my XT225. No bending required. The seller included several mounts (H4) and it screwed into the base of the bulb. Very responsive seller.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3600-Lumen-H4-H6M-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

I also got a "Braker" LED 1157 flashing brake light from Autolumination. Cheaper than the Hyper-Lite and does the same thing. I got the one with 40 LED's and it is much brighter than stock.

http://www.autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm (About 1/3 of the way down)

Of course current draw has no significance on an ST, it is a huge deal on my XT225. I saved enough watts to be able to use an electric vest or heated grips.

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #

OP is talking about install on an ST1100 NOT an ST 1300

Thanks for the info

Bike
ST1300

Yes. This is why the lower two tabs of the standard H4 bulb are removed or bent back when using Silverstars and the like. There are a few threads regarding the modding.
Please see the image below as a visual ad for everyone else.

BulbComparason.jpg

As you can see in the image above, the bulb configurations are quite different.

If you search the forum you'll find more than a couple threads that show you don't need them for the 1300. The single tab at 12 o'clock is enough to correctly orient the bulb. Some riders use the shims anyway. The 1100 needs all three tabs or the angle of the bulb is changed. The shims correct that.
Being that I'm an Engineer, using the "Shims" will help with the orientation of the bulb and prevent them from rotating due to vibration. LEDs are directional and having them rotated off from center in either direction may have an affect on the light spread. I fell more comfortable by using the shims in place and having the 3 points for keying the bulbs.

I am not disputing what you are saying. The Designer or Engineer put those there for a reason and I cannot ignore that.

I thought there might be something different with these LED H4 replacements. If their H4 base is the same as any other then I would think the shims would likewise be unnecessary. Using them wouldn't impair any function but it might be a little harder to clip the bail. A pic would be appreciated when you get the time.
I did not have any issues with clasping the bulb plates into place with the retaining clip. Sorry, my bike is back together now and everything is working perfectly. I really do not want tear the bike back down to make a point. I seldom need to get into that area of the bike and prefer not to get into there again anytime soon.

Let's settle with, "Let the installer decide if they "Want" or "Don't Want" to use the shims."

Something To Consider:

An Important thing that everyone needs to take into consideration is that not all the LED H4 Bulbs out there are created exactly the same. The heat-sink forms or assemblies differ from unit to unit. Some the mounting rings can be separated, while others are integrated into the overall structure. These are important factors to consider when selecting which LED Bulb to purchase and use.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Let's settle with, "Let the installer decide if they "Want" or "Don't Want" to use the shims."
If you reread my posts you won't anything that makes that an issue. I have nothing against personal preference.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
So I have installed and tested my LED retrofit on my ST1100. My thoughts are as follows:

I have been running 50 watt Hi/Low HID's for the last 5 years and I loved the output from the HID's but did not like the finickyness of them in regard with hot restarts, warm up time, high amp draw during warm up and the bulbs physically wearing out and misaligning the beam. The separation between high and low beams was great and the time to switch between the two was instant.

The LED kit has none of those down sides, instant full brightness, instant switching from high to low beam, no problem turning them on and off quickly, no high amp draw. The light output is not quite as strong as the HID's but it is close and has a nice color to it. The biggest weakness for me was the low beam did not project out far enough in front of the bike. If I used the headlight adjustment to correct this than the high beams were too high to be useful. I had read that the high beam from the LED's was not so much of a high beam but just a brighter low beam, this is not the case at all. The high beam has good reach and spread.

My solution to the low beam problem was to add on a set of 125 watt LED projector lights, aimed to light up the area ahead of the bike the low beam headlight misses.

I will post pics once I find time to shrink them to fit on the forum.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
did not like the finickyness of them in regard with hot restarts, warm up time, high amp draw during warm up and the bulbs physically wearing out and misaligning the beam
This is why I decided not to switch to HID. I know there are riders who've gone to HID and won't switch to anything else. But I'll stick to incandescent for now until LED replacements in motorcycles prove themselves particularly with regard to longevity.

The LED kit has none of those down sides
Which is why I'm following LED progress with great interest.

was to add on a set of 125 watt LED projector lights
A litte info on those would be appreciated as well.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
This is why I decided not to switch to HID. I know there are riders who've gone to HID and won't switch to anything else. But I'll stick to incandescent for now until LED replacements in motorcycles prove themselves particularly with regard to longevity.

Which is why I'm following LED progress with great interest.

A litte info on those would be appreciated as well.
Search ebay for:
Motorcycle 125W CREE U5 LED Driving Fog Head Spot Light White Lamp Headlight
These are what I used. So far they are great!

Fatjock

STOC #8872
Bike
'18 Glowing Tour DCT
STOC #
I fitted a "Kensin" LED kit I found on E-bay to my 01 1100 this weekend.

Overall, it was a fairly simple task, thanks to the excellent information on the forum here.
Just used a Drexel to grind down the two lower tabs on the H4 LED, and a dab of an epoxy to fit the shims (#purchased separately, but again, on E-bay), and they were ready to fit

I popped the old bulbs out (one with the proper mount, the other a standard H4.This was fitted, and I use that term very loosely, with no shims,or modification, which explains why I felt the need for change!).
The Kensun units have detachable adapters, with a bayonet fitting, so I removed the adapters, and fitted them in place with the retaining clips. After that it was simply introduce the LED units, and lock them with a little twist.
Since the LED units have a large cooling system on board, the sealing rubbers had to be cut to fit, but this was easy, so a couple of minutes later, it was just a matter of connecting up, and I was ready to reassemble.

I must say I'm delighted with the difference the LED's make. Much brighter, and a better pattern.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I just installed a pair of Cyclops 3800 LM LED's on my 1300 the only modification needed is to the rubber boot.
Steve - How water "PROOF" is the box between the headlight connector and the light? Looks like it needs to be protected. I had a good run with my HID's for about 4 years. Then started to burn bulbs out. Replaced darn near the whole set up and still short life. Went back to halogens. I do not do much night riding, but when I do, I sure loved the HID output.

Want to try the LED's, but hesitant till I see an ST with them in it.

Kind of like Dark Side. Until you try it, do not knock it. I just want to see it for myself.

Thanks, Kevin

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Did you see the comparison we did at Moonshine? We took 2 ST's out back of the Lincoln Suites side by side 1 had the 3600 lm Cyclops LEDs the other had Halogen bulbs I think the distance down the road was almost the same but the LEDs had a nice white light seemed brighter to me. So I got the 3800 lumen bulbs I will be comparing them with the 3600's in a week or two.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Wish I could make that Bob was a special guy a true gentleman, I will be heading North my wife is taking me away for my birthday.

Top Bottom