Cruise control installed, headlights don't work now...HELP!

Bike
'06 ST1300
Ok, I've installed my cruise, dialed it in and it works great. The problem is now I have no headlights. If I unplug the 24P harness the relays come on but then as soon as it gets plugged in the relays click off. With 24P unplugged, relays closed, and I have low power at the headlights. Could this have something to do with the headlight cutout switch for the starter? I am wondering if I screwed up something wiring the 9P from the Goldwing switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am losing riding days. Thanks in advance.
Andy

OP
OP
Bike
'06 ST1300
So, after more investigation, I plugged back in my old right hand control and the headlights came on. The headlight cutout apparently is always engaged. With Goldwing switch plugged in I jumped the two wires that go to the headlight and the headlight came on. Is this a defective Goldwing switch? How important is it that it turns off the headlight during cranking? I could jump this if it's not that important. Thanks again for any help in this.
A

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
If everything works with the original switch in place, the fault has to be in your GL switch. There's some discussion at the end of this article that covers the switch pinout and how it should be wired to the ST. That would at least help you make sure the switch is working and properly wired.

You probably don't want to defeat the headlight cut-out because having them on if your battery's iffy could make the difference between being on the road and stuck next to it.

--Mark

OP
OP
Bike
'06 ST1300
Thanks for the reply Mark. I think I have a defective switch. I tested continuity and it never turns on the headlights. Unfortunately I can't exactly return it for a new one after I butchered it to make it work. I may just install a bypass switch so I can shut off my headlights if it becomes necessary.

Top Bottom