Cruise Control?

Ncphoto1

Jay
Bike
2016 BMW R1200RT
Has anyone recently purchased and installed the CRUISE CONTROL FOR HONDA ST1300 / ST1300A (NEW PRODUCT FEATURING OUR COMPACT ELECTRIC SERVO) from mccruise.com? I'm looking for some feedback. Thanks

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Yes I have on my 2012 ST1300. Easy to install if you have basic mechanical skills and works great. Use ADVrider for a discount also.

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I fitted a McCruise on my ST 4 years ago. Absolutely fantastic, faultless and smooth in its operations. Excellent.

Fitting requires some mechanical/electrics knowledge (bike tinkering level) and I recommend putting aside a few days for the exercise. Fitting instructions are very comprehensive, in the finest detail and the McCruise company is very helpful with any enquiries.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I think mone is a rostra universal, but i loves it
I put one (250-1223) on my Nighthawk 750, and tweaked it so it works as well as a factory-installed unit.

I have one for my ST1100, but I'm waiting for the time to install all of the farkles I've collected at one time.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
I helped install one on a friends ST1300. Before I take another long road trip I will have a McCruise on mine.

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
Installed McCruise on the bike to the left. Installed it myself. Works flawlessly!

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
IMHO, This is the best farkle you can put on your ST - it's pricey, but worth every penny if you're planning on keeping your ST.
Works just as well as the one in your car, excellent install instructions and fantastic support.
Just take your time with the install, checking off each step as you go, and you'll be fine.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have a question about the McCruise set-up, in particular the latest version of it. I have read the information on their website and I did not see any reference to a cancel button that allows deactivation of the cruise control system without turning it off. I do not see a cancel button on their switch pod either.

I don't understand that a high end well made system like the McCruise cruise control does not have a simple cancel button. I understand it with the previous versions, as this was not in use in car cruise control systems either. This is a common feature in cars now, and has been for quite a long time, so it is hardly new technology. This feature allows you to deactivate the cruise control with out turning it off, which causes you to loose your speed set point. It also allows you to cancel the cruise control without hitting the brakes and flashing the brake lights, which I dislike doing to drivers who are following behind me.

When they revamped their system, added the new electronic actuators, upgraded their software and upgraded to a new switch pod along with offering several additional switch options, I would have thought that they would have added this feature as well as it has long been common in the industry now, but they didn't as far as I can tell.

If they did, I have missed it in their literature. For those of you who have this system installed, does it have this feature?

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
To the OP... I installed one in 2005 on my 05 ST1300... took my time and did it in one day by myself. Well worth every penny I spent!

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I have a MC Cruise cruise control installed on my ST 1300, and have travelled about 50,000 miles since I installed it. I am very happy with it, it is a first-class product. It is not cheap, but it is worth the price... there is no doubt it is the best aftermarket motorcycle cruise control available.

Michael

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
For those of you who have this system installed, does it have this feature (a cancel button)?
Yes. There are three buttons on the control unit, they are set, resume, and on/off. If you tap the on/off button, that cancels it.

You can also pull the brake lever in just a tiny bit, or tap on the brake pedal, that will also cancel it.

If you cancel using the on/off button, you re-engage by pressing the on/off button and the SET button - you need to manually re-achieve the desired cruise speed. If you cancel with a brake application, I believe that you just have to press the RESUME button to re-engage and recapture the previously programmed speed. (It's been a long winter, I haven't used the cruise control since last fall).

Michael

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I also like to be able to disengage the CC without lighting the brake light, in case seeing a police car is why. One option is pulling the clutch lever just enough to activate its switch, but I also wanted a cancel button option.

When I installed the Rostra on my Nighthawk, I used a Trail Tech 8500RS switch pod with three buttons, not caring about a power switch. I wired the center switch to trigger a micro relay to ground the clutch-switch wire.

1649262554370.png

The up and down buttons are resume/accelerate and set/decelerate, respectively, just as you'd expect. All three buttons put out +12v, so I used a small 12v relay to ground the clutch wire when the center button is pressed.

I also wanted an engaged indicator light, so I wired a 50-ohm resistor between the "CC-engaged" wire and the kickstand-down light. It glows brightly enough to see during the day, and not too bright for night time use.

As I mentioned above, I didn't bother having an on-off switch for the CC, so it's constantly powered. There's no real reason for a master power switch. My Accord has a mechanical CC power switch that I leave on all the time.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If they did, I have missed it in their literature. For those of you who have this system installed, does it have this feature?
Mine all have wiring to the clutch switch and the brake switch.
By pulling in the clutch or touching the front or rear brake lightly it disengages.
Never been a problem in 300,000+ miles for me.
Or you could just hit the on/off switch and then back on.
IIRC, turning it off does not lose the "RESUME" setting but I'll have to test it to be sure my memory is not faulty. ;)

Last edited:

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have a question about the McCruise set-up, in particular the latest version of it. I have read the information on their website and I did not see any reference to a cancel button that allows deactivation of the cruise control system without turning it off. I do not see a cancel button on their switch pod either.

I don't understand that a high end well made system like the McCruise cruise control does not have a simple cancel button. I understand it with the previous versions, as this was not in use in car cruise control systems either. This is a common feature in cars now, and has been for quite a long time, so it is hardly new technology. This feature allows you to deactivate the cruise control with out turning it off, which causes you to loose your speed set point. It also allows you to cancel the cruise control without hitting the brakes and flashing the brake lights, which I dislike doing to drivers who are following behind me.

When they revamped their system, added the new electronic actuators, upgraded their software and upgraded to a new switch pod along with offering several additional switch options, I would have thought that they would have added this feature as well as it has long been common in the industry now, but they didn't as far as I can tell.

Yes, no worries, it does have a cancel. And just a light tap of either brake cancels it also...

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If you tap the on/off button, that cancels it.
That turns it off, it doesn't cancel it. Canceling the cruise means disabling it from holding the vehicle speed but it remains powered on and retains its memory.
If you cancel using the on/off button, you re-engage by pressing the on/off button and the SET button - you need to manually re-achieve the desired cruise speed.
Turning it off means that it has to be reset to the desired speed again after you turn it back on. It can not be resumed after it has been powered off. My car has a cancel button that simply disables the cruise if I need to, but it remains powered on and the set speed remains set in its memory. When I want to re-engage the cruise I just hit the resume button and it goes back to where it was.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Yes, no worries, it does have a cancel.
Where is it?
I am not referring to disabling it by hitting the brakes or clutch. These are safety over rides, not a cancel feature. I am curious to know if it has an actual cancel feature.

Their pictures only show a power on/off button, a set/acc button and resume/decel button. There is no cancel button.

1649274563796.png

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Mine all have wiring to the clutch switch and the brake switch.
By pulling in the clutch or touching the front or rear brake lightly it disengages.
Never been a problem in 300,000+ miles for me.
Or you could just hit the on/off switch and then back on.
IIRC, turning it off does not lose the "RESUME" setting but I'll have to test it to be sure my memory is not faulty. ;)
All correct Phil. None of those are a cancel feature however. Not a matter of being a problem either. This is the way that automobile cruise control systems have worked for decades, and very reliably. It has also been many years now that automobile cruise control systems have also included a cancel feature. I was just curious to know if this system had adopted that feature as well.

Turning it off wipes its memory and causes it to loose its set speed. When you turn it back on you will need to set the speed again, so this would not be a cancel function. A cancel function only disables it. It does not power it off and it does not clear the set speed from its memory, which allows it to be resumed at the same set speed any time as long as it has not been powered off.
The best I can tell, they have never incorporated a cancel feature in to their system.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
There is no cancel button.
That's correct, just like most cars. My Accord happens to have a separate cancel button. It does the same thing as tapping the brake, except it does not light up the brake lights.

That's why I used a three-button switch pod added the relay as I described above. Any switch that momentarily grounds the bike's clutch wire will have the same effect.

Top Bottom