OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
So, other than the flat how's the tire riding??
It's flat-out ama... um, I mean it is astoundingly amazing. It took absolutely NO adjustment or altering my riding style, in any way that I can tell.
If anything, I find myself riding just a little bit more aggressively -- in cornering, starting from a stop, right turns -- it is unbelievably confidence-inspiring.
I'm not reckless or obnoxious ricky-racer, but I was surprised that there is no "tipster point", it is a nice rounded profile, and no transition area where I feel I'm moving from the flat to the shoulder of the tire.
It holds my line through turns, completely neutral, and tips in with no more pressure than a m/c tire.
So other than going flat - as any rubber tire can do - I have nothing but high praise for this tire whose name I always have to look up.
Vrefenheifer, Vrestenstein, Vre... whatever.
I do think the larger footprint *may* be costing me a couple miles per gallon (I keep meticulous mileage records), but it could actually be me getting harder on the throttle.
I'm still riding a standard tire in front, but have a rear BT38 or something I haven't swapped in front yet.
I don't know if I'll ever put a motorcycle tire on the back of my ST again.
Even if this tire had to go to the trash (unlikely), I can still buy two of these for the pricerubber. premium ST runber.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
This what happens when the air isn't changed out on a regular schedule, I change the air every 6000 miles so it doesn't get layered from the centrifugal force. That keeps a uniform density all around the tire. When it isn't changed regular the heavy parts sink when it is parked and can make it shake for a while
jeez, get with the times and use pure Nitrogen, then its all the same density and you don't have to be bothered with changing it periodically.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Costco has N at "air" pumps but only while their tire centers are open.
I haven't tried to huff it, but I bet it's a mix.
They had to start taking the hoses off the pumps at night, guess people were stealing hoses or cutting them?
That's why we can't have nice things.
Noes N make your voice get higher like He?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Costco has N at "air" pumps but only while their tire centers are open.
I haven't tried to huff it, but I bet it's a mix.
They had to start taking the hoses off the pumps at night, guess people were stealing hoses or cutting them?
That's why we can't have nice things.
You do know regular old air is about 78% nitrogen anyway, so those of you paying for Nitrogen are only paying for about 22%.

Truth be told it's less than 100% nitrogen in the tire as they don't vacuum out the air in the tire before they "inflate" it with Nitrogen.

In reality they are only pressurizing it with Nitrogen, as it was filled with air during installation.

Talk about finding ways to inflate the costs.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
but when I screamed it would sound hilarious.
:rofl1:

About 1200 miles on this new CT... I have the worst luck with new tires!
I feel your pain.

Late to the game so I don't know if you got your bike home or not. But I agree with everyone saying first pump up the volume. It could be a very slow leak which could get you home. Since you've got a whole arsenal of tire repair bits you could play it where it lays.

Hold off on the soapy water. That's fine if you can't find the leak. Look for an offender. If you can't find one air it up and listen. You might be able to feel air leaking when you get close to finding the breach. For me soapy water would be the last resort for that phase.

I've had one puncture on the ST and two on my car's tires. They were straight forward and easy to plug. After using the abrader tool on my car tires I put goop on it and ran it through again. Then gooped up the worm and let it sit over night. My Wing buddy plugged the ST's tire similarly. My ST buddy put 50# air in and it sat over night. The next morning it was still at 50#.

Both plugged car tires held air as well as the other two and did so down to the wear bars when the tires were replaced. I probably had another 3000mi* to go and the plugs would probably have held. I replaced the ST's tire way waaaay too soon. Live and learn.

Congratulations on being lured to the Dark Side and not incurring a fiery death.

*Nooo I didn't have 3000mi left at the wear bars but the plugs did hold to the end.

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Nitrogen doesn't change your voice.

But if you suck in an impurity it can make you silent (aka dead) but that's true too for helium or any non medical grade gas.

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Check the valve stem. I got a flat too on my CT, but the BF Goodrich Comp-2 has such stiff side walls that I was able to ride home 40 miles on 1 psi.....
I put in a new valve and all was good.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Check the valve stem. I got a flat too on my CT, but the BF Goodrich Comp-2 has such stiff side walls that I was able to ride home 40 miles on 1 psi.....
I put in a new valve and all was good.
I think you're a winner... that 'L' extension probably too much weight, you can see the stem a little off center.

1692633639518.png

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Those L extensions aren't meant to live on rubber valve stems. Maybe they're OK on tractor trailer valve stems I dunno. But you put the extension on and fill the tire then remove it. Whether or not that's the problem – nicely spotted. If it's not the problem now it well could be in the future. Those ~87º stems could be in your future.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
For all my flat tires, I have never NOT been able to find the offender by simply looking over the tire closely. Just turn the wheel nice and slowly while really looking for a nail etc. Once I find it, I remove it, ream the hole and insert a worm. That has always enabled me to continue riding until I can get the hole repaired permanently from the inside. In a few cases I didn't even bother with the inside plug and the worm held up just fine.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I never understood the angled stems. All my compressors have come with an L-shaped connection that fit a straight valve perfectly. I remember some older gas station compressors with straight connectors, so that's probably why some people want angled stems? I never use anything but my own compressor so I'm fine with a straight valve.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I think you're a winner... that 'L' extension probably too much weight, you can see the stem a little off center.
Considered that, and checked the valve stem yesterday... but that was before we were able to get it on the centerstand.
It "seemed" OK, not torn, but it was only a cursory check. Will look at it better tonight, thanks.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I never understood the angled stems.
I have a small old- style inflator at home, but all the tire stores and even pay-for-air stations only have the long straight ones, with the pressure indicator built in.
They won't get under the brake disks.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
I have a small old- style inflator at home, but all the tire stores and even pay-for-air stations only have the long straight ones, with the pressure indicator built in.
They won't get under the brake disks.
Good to know. I always carry my own compressor so I have never had any need for a service station compressor.

Top Bottom