Custom Made Pull Behind Trailer

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Where does the license plate mount on the thing? ;)
Good point... one thing that might be cool is to take the tail light, put it on top, then in front of the tail light build a small lockable box for tools and such.

Then, where the tail light is now angle some brackets so the lic plate can act as a fender and keep mud/dirt off the tail light...

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Joe the lock box idea sounds good, this trailer is a evolving unit the more it goes around the more ideas people have have about it. I don't remember the price Kreis decided on as a complete package Hitch/Trailer. I don't believe Tn requires a tag on it, but it will be tagable in states that require it.
The one Strep posted oictures of was the second verzion the original prototype came to Md when a more polished verzion came about. I pulled it 500 miles home empty and forgot it was there.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe the lock box idea sounds good, this trailer is a evolving unit the more it goes around the more ideas people have have about it. I don't remember the price Kreis decided on as a complete package Hitch/Trailer. I don't believe Tn requires a tag on it, but it will be tagable in states that require it.
The one Strep posted oictures of was the second verzion the original prototype came to Md when a more polished verzion came about. I pulled it 500 miles home empty and forgot it was there.
Thank you sir... yeah, even if the stat didn't require plates a small bracket/sheet metal hanging at an angle over the wheel would help keep the light clean.

No matter how much it is I know it won't be as much as a uni-go..LOL

I'm still not sure I want a trailer for the ST but this one gives you lots of options and I'd have to move it to the top of my list simply on functionality alone.

You know we'll have 1,000 suggestions.. LOL

OP
OP
UPDATE:

Last fall just as I started to put my trailer together, I went to China for a month, then came back to clean up hurricane damage. After that, new flooring in the house, now landscaping outside. Needless to say, the trailer got put on the back burner until the house is done. Sorry to everyone for not updating a thread that I started to begin with. I will eventually get it done, but I want to be able to devote my whole time to it, and not try to do it while doing so many other projects.

Texas

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
UPDATE:

Last fall just as I started to put my trailer together, I went to China for a month, then came back to clean up hurricane damage. After that, new flooring in the house, now landscaping outside. Needless to say, the trailer got put on the back burner until the house is done. Sorry to everyone for not updating a thread that I started to begin with. I will eventually get it done, but I want to be able to devote my whole time to it, and not try to do it while doing so many other projects.

Texas
Dude, life happens... You do what you do and that's all you can do... I don't know what that means but it sounded good in my head.

h2orider

R.I.P. - 2018/04/26
Rest In Peace
STOC #
First of all, these trailers are going to be manufactured

I wanted to come up with a trailer that would be utilized for that more than one thing I’ve been building things most of my life. So I decided to build a better trailer

My criteria was as follows

1 Single Wheel
2 Lightweight
3 Be Convertible
4 Rock Solid And High Speeds
5 Are Able To Carry All My Camping Gear and Others
6 Able to Carry the Wife’s Luggage
7 Easy To Repair or Find Parts on the Road
8 Able To Be Pulled By A Dual Sport Motorcycle
9 Have a Secure Hitch Coupling Mechanism
10 Cost Under $1000 Including the Hitch

After looking all over the Internet this is what I came up with

Our goal is to build a trailer and a hitch as one unit

We’re currently using a universal joint as the hitch coupler and a 1 inch receiver on the hitch

The tail lights and turn signals are LED, s

It uses a standard 4 pin connector

The current version does not have suspension I have hauled in excess of 200 pounds with NO problems (there are several people on the board which can verify this

The wheel bearings can be purchased at your local Napa store

The tire can be purchased at Wal-Mart Tractor Supply Northern Hydraulics and many other local retailers)

In Tennessee I do not have to license my trailer, although we have spoken with the Dept of Transportation regarding licensing the trailers. As long as we meet their lighting and manufacturing guidelines, they said there would not be a problem obtaining a title for the trailer

I am currently looking into a small torsion axle

As far as suggestions go regarding toolboxes and other such options, these trailers are custom built so anything goes within reason

thanks
kreis h2orider

Last edited:

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
do you have a detailed set of instructions I have been wanting to build a trailer and I think your design is a good place to start and seems simple enough to build.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
do you have a detailed set of instructions I have been wanting to build a trailer and I think your design is a good place to start and seems simple enough to build.
I really doubt if he's planning on selling these that he's going to provide the plans. Doesn't hurt to ask but just saying.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Toaky after all the time energy and money involed it working up a concept into a viable product I find it strange that you would ask for a set of plans to build your own without at least offering to pay for the the information. I'll bet you could get some plans for $500 !!!

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Toaky after all the time energy and money involed it working up a concept into a viable product I find it strange that you would ask for a set of plans to build your own without at least offering to pay for the the information. I'll bet you could get some plans for $500 !!!
NO No I was just tring to find out if it would be posible to buy a set. I was just thinking it would be easier for me to make my own changes then try to explain what I would like to change. or maybe get a kit and then make my changes. I should have asked to buy as set.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
I've pretty much finished my trailer but can't upload pictures since I'm missing a "security token" whatever that might be. Anyway, just need to design and build a hitch and I'm off to the ALPHA test camp site...just in time for the bugs to make their appearance for the Spring!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've pretty much finished my trailer but can't upload pictures since I'm missing a "security token" whatever that might be. Anyway, just need to design and build a hitch and I'm off to the ALPHA test camp site...just in time for the bugs to make their appearance for the Spring!
That's because the pic is too big.. make it 800x800 and 300k or less.. or email it to me and I'll reduce it.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
I just got around to building the hitch today and doing a test run to the low 3 digits for a few seconds.....very stable, tracks straight and solid and I went thru the only twisties in my area at 50 mph with no problem. I put all my camping gear in the trailer and about 125 lbs of lead and went for a little short run and the thing performed perfectly on a smooth road. Bumpy road brought a little wheel hop on the trailer telling me even using only one spring on the HF kit is still a little too much suspension, but it was totally controlable at 70 mph.

I gotta hook up the lights and coat the metal tomorrow. Does anyone have an easy way to ID the stop/turn signal and brake light circuit under the seat?

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

Sorry this took so long.....kids are not always available. Guess I need to learn how to do this myself.

The 2nd picture shows how I attached the vertical hitch supports to the frame. I neglectied to be specific regarding the first picture...it is supposed to be the bike hitch and not the trailer hitch part. Visualize if you can a hitch pin that will fit into the trailer mounted on a steel angle support and a loop for the safety chains. Maybe another picture is in order when I can corral a kid who is picture capable.

Top Bottom