Cycle down, Cycle down

Bike
04' ST1300A
STOC #
Well, Unfortunately it was my turn. I live in Seattle area where the roads are always damp. Pulled out of the driveway with my 2004 ST1300 and gave it a little throttle, hit a yellow reflector in the middle of the turn with the rear wheel right as I laid on the power and she spun out from under me. I watched as my baby did circles on its left side as I slid on my back. Even while I was in mid slide I thought, I'm going to have some work to do tomorrow.
I wondered as I slid down the road, why this time? I had made the same move on the same damp road yesterday? What was the difference? Yes, there was a reflector; yes, I had felt the turn and was enjoy the adrenaline of rolling into it as I gave her power, that also was the same.
As the truck coming up the road slowed down watching my bike come to a stop, I set up, checked my footing to see what might be twisted. Nope, the pain I felt wasn't the little sprain I received as I put my foot down instinctively, it was my pride thinking about the fact my neighbor probably caught the whole event on his camera he points across the street to his mailbox. The mailbox in front of the house next to mine he hopes videoing he will some day be able to use as evidence against the guys stealing mail.
The driver did his duty, asked if I was okay, (yep, just a little twisted ankle), and did I need help picking up the heap. Well, no I have picked her up before so I just wondered over and thanked his kind gesture while I picked her up with my good leg. killed the switch, turned her back on and rode her back into the still open garage.
That's when I notice what the hell happened. I wasn't just a bad rider, (although some might think so), there was a little dark stain on my painted floor where liquid was dripping off the back fender from the night before. After coming home from work and doing a thorough leak check, I was able to troubleshoot it to a very small coolant leak that had been dripping and lubricated my back tire. That was the final piece that took me down.
Lesson learned, watch for drips and leaks before jumping on the bike and hitting the road. It being my daily driver I had become complacent. Now that I have the 650.00 in parts I am ready to replace the water pump seals. Anybody have the pullers?

Signed,
Sad but still looking forward to the ride!

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Bummer deal. Glad is was just your pride hurt and not your body. Did you have any bag guards? Would love to know if it just slid on the case guards or if it flipped at all. Hope it was a small impact. The blue ones are my favorite......

Side bar.... Join us for NEWStoc in June. There are a couple riders close to you who ride over for it.

ToddC

OP
OP
ebaldwi
Bike
04' ST1300A
STOC #
Didn't flip. Just slid on the case. and tore off the mirror. ground the MCL touring peg on the left side. Would like to replace the peg but don't see any online.

OP
OP
ebaldwi
Bike
04' ST1300A
STOC #
Bummer deal. Glad is was just your pride hurt and not your body. Did you have any bag guards? Would love to know if it just slid on the case guards or if it flipped at all. Hope it was a small impact. The blue ones are my favorite......

Side bar.... Join us for NEWStoc in June. There are a couple riders close to you who ride over for it.

ToddC
NEWStoc in June sounds like fun. I will look for the time.

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Glad you are ok. Good description of the event. Doesn’t take much throttle when the road or tires are slick. I don’t think that the MCL pegs are available any longer. You might try a “Wanted” left side peg note on this forum. Someone might have one they would let go. Maybe eBay. Hope the ankle heals quickly. I’m impressed that you picked up the bike with a sore ankle. I would not have turned down the offer for help. Trust you will be back to riding soon.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Glad you made out OK all things considered. Sometimes even those easy falls can do lots of damage both to a body and a bike. Just depends on how you land sometimes.

I think we all get complacent with our bikes (and cars). I'd guess few of us do a check each time we ride of lights, horn, direction signals, air pressures, chains (for those without a shaft drive) etc.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Total bummer for sure. Sorry to see it (in writing anyway...no pictures?) :rolleyes:

Replacing the water pump is not too hard, just read up on it before you start. There are a couple of things to watch for. One is when removing the front cover, you don't let the waterpump sprocket/chain fall off, down behind the clutch basket. Another is you'll need a press to replace the prop/bearing, etc. And don't get the oil seal reversed, like I did on the one I have ready for my '04#1... I still need to fix that.

As for the MCL wings, nope, not to be had. I have a pair that I need to replace, just not sure yet what to do.

Good luck with the repairs....

NobodySpecial

Site Supporter
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I'm sorry to hear about the tip over. I'm confused, however, about the relationship between the water pump, the coolant, and the rear fender. The water pump is in the front of the bike, no? How did coolant end up dripping from the rear fender?

OP
OP
ebaldwi
Bike
04' ST1300A
STOC #
I'm sorry to hear about the tip over. I'm confused, however, about the relationship between the water pump, the coolant, and the rear fender. The water pump is in the front of the bike, no? How did coolant end up dripping from the rear fender?
It would blow thru the cowling onto the tire and fling up onto the rear fender.

Top Bottom