Cyclops Adventure Lights - Yay or Nay

Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
I just received a pair of the Cyclops Adventure Sports 3.7" Auxiliary lights - Long Range Optimus LED Auxiliary light Round-CIL-OPR110 (cyclopsadventuresports.com) My goal was to mount these under the turn signals with either a pair of the PSR mounts I have or some used Dick Seng brackets I'm waiting for. They are larger than I expected, though they appear to be around the same size as some of the PIAA lights I've seen mounted on ST's in the past. I'm debating about sending these back just due to their physical size. They also are heavier than the PSR mounts recommend and I don't have the Seng brackets in hand yet. Anyone else here running these or similar lights? Does the size translate into better night vision vs say a Clearwater Darla? I really don't want to spend what Clearwater wants for the smaller Darla, not sure if that even throws light well down the road. I live in a very wooded area and am looking for something to better illuminate the ditches for any critters crossing the road. Went with the 10/20 combo to keep the left side more focused along with the Skene controller to dim them for normal running. If not these is there a recommended smaller/lighter option?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I can't speak to these lights specifically but do wonder if you've upgraded the two headlight bulbs from OEM to H4 (good) or to an LED bulb? (best)

While the extra lights will certainly help in your wooded area, the LED headlight bulbs will help all the time with more light.

There's at least a few threads here with the model bulb most of us have gone with to date (The F2)

As for the weight exceeding the PSR mounts I do recall someone saying they had broken a mirror mount or something with heavy lights. I don't think I'd surpass the PSR rating as they are only 3d printed as I recall and dropping a light will destroy it at worst and just mark up your paint at best.

Cheers.

OP
OP
joebiker86
Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
I have Morimoto headlight LEDs and also have the switchback LEDs in the turn signals with the clear lenses. The lighting is better than stock, but looking for more side lighting and better field of vision (without blinding incoming traffic). I do have the police brackets out for painting, but I'm leaning against not using them right now as I'm not sure I want lights up that high on further review.

Reactions: Obo

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
At least one member here has had a set of Cyclops lights. They look to be really decent kit. Not a lot of lighting kits give any real hint of range or performance - just a lot of power output claims which are often suspect. Older Seng brackets have a short horizontal arm that may put larger lights very close if not too close to the Tup.

I think it was skipcurt who had some Seng-type stainless steel brackets fabbed to allow a little more room for larger lights. I too wouldn't suggest using any lights that exceed the PSR rating

Regarding Obo's mention of upgrading the headlights going to F2 or F3 headlights should be considered if you haven't already upgraded. They offer a lot of light where you need it and are easier to install than aux lights. Well maybe not for first timers. :D

Not that you should do the headlights instead of aux lights but the F2/F3 LED bulbs in the ST's headlights are street legal and can be use appropriately all the time whereas the Cyclops and similar — not so much. The LED's low beam alone is worth the price of admission.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
but looking for more side lighting and better field of vision (without blinding incoming traffic).
These aren't the lights you're looking for. Those Cyclops lights don't look to have any kind of cut off across the top. Shine one on a wall to see the shape of the beam. They're a long range light so they won't give a very wide beam (at least anywhere near where you might need it) and yeah - could be very bright to other traffic.

Way back when halogen was the only game in town for aux lighting I had some Cibié fog white lights which cast a wide low flat beam that lit up the sides of the road quite well. Power hungry at 55W each they didn't give a lot of light at a distance but they did what I wanted. I doubt the Cyclops will come anywhere near that specific functionality.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Send them back.
10 watts is not enough. You will be disappointed.

The first thing is to up grade your headlights with this.
It has much better focus, correct cut off ( no glare ).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082MDGVDC/

It is a hybrid between the F2 and the F3.
It has the F2 body and shield and power is 35 watts
It uses the F3 led which is slightly bigger, therefore brighter than the F2.
I have been using the F3 and I am happy with it but the H4 shield is not as good as the F2 shield.
The cougar motor version is a better solution.
You will find that the high beam puts everything else to shame.
The low beam puts the extra light on the sides of the road.
You will see twice as far. Yes it takes four times more light to do this....

If you need more than this then the aux driving lights needs to be in the 30 watt range.
these are smaller 3" and low mass. They are pencil beams. to be used with your high beams.

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Offroad-Driving-Automotive-Wrangler/dp/B0998TN6BG

I am still looking for better passing lights. Lights that can be used with your low beams.
I am currently using these with my low beam.
They will add 50% more to the LED low beam and are noticeable when you turn them on.
Being projectors they have a sharp beam cut off.
They are wide and also add a lot to the sides of the road.
They are very small and I attached them to the sides of my aux driving lights.
They are also small enough to be mounted on the forks where the reflector is.

https://www.amazon.com/Driving-Motorcycle-Function-Headlights-Polaris/dp/B083TXGSGV

here is a link to my other thread that I am still working on.
It has a picture of my new set up - over the mirror mount
but it will work with your under mirror mount ....

OP
OP
joebiker86
Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
Send them back.
10 watts is not enough. You will be disappointed.

The first thing is to up grade your headlights with this.
It has much better focus, correct cut off ( no glare ).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082MDGVDC/

It is a hybrid between the F2 and the F3.
It has the F2 body and shield and power is 35 watts
It uses the F3 led which is slightly bigger, therefore brighter than the F2.
I have been using the F3 and I am happy with it but the H4 shield is not as good as the F2 shield.
The cougar motor version is a better solution.
You will find that the high beam puts everything else to shame.
The low beam puts the extra light on the sides of the road.
You will see twice as far. Yes it takes four times more light to do this....

If you need more than this then the aux driving lights needs to be in the 30 watt range.
these are smaller 3" and low mass. They are pencil beams. to be used with your high beams.

https://www.amazon.com/Auxbeam-Offroad-Driving-Automotive-Wrangler/dp/B0998TN6BG

I am still looking for better passing lights. Lights that can be used with your low beams.
I am currently using these with my low beam.
They will add 50% more to the LED low beam and are noticeable when you turn them on.
Being projectors they have a sharp beam cut off.
They are wide and also add a lot to the sides of the road.
They are very small and I attached them to the sides of my aux driving lights.
They are also small enough to be mounted on the forks where the reflector is.

https://www.amazon.com/Driving-Motorcycle-Function-Headlights-Polaris/dp/B083TXGSGV

here is a link to my other thread that I am still working on.
It has a picture of my new set up - over the mirror mount
but it will work with your under mirror mount ....

I already have Morimoto LEDs in a Euro headlight assembly. Not looking for anything additional there. I have the both over the mirror mounts and the under mirror mounts available for additional lighting. Also installed the police model switch gear on the right side for more switch availability. All that aside the lights are going back. I'll take a look at some of the lights you've suggested as possible addons as well as Rigid and some others. I'll report back when I make some progress. Bike is torn down a bit for radiator hose replacement, carb cleaning and was hoping to get this done soon, but may need to come back to it. Thanks for the comprehensive feedback.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The Montimotos are just fine. The "F2" is a design reference that most new led bulbs are following. The old 10 watt led driving lights that I had on barely made a difference with the LED headlights. That is why I went to a higher power led aux. But I did not want heavy lights either since those mirror mounts were attached to the plastic not the frame. Over the mirror lights are better for driving and passing lights. Under the mirror or on the forks is better for the fog lights. I like the over the mirror for the mini projector passing lights. I might put on another set down on the forks for fog lights...

OP
OP
joebiker86
Bike
2001 ST1100A
STOC #
The Montimotos are just fine. The "F2" is a design reference that most new led bulbs are following. The old 10 watt led driving lights that I had on barely made a difference with the LED headlights. That is why I went to a higher power led aux. But I did not want heavy lights either since those mirror mounts were attached to the plastic not the frame. Over the mirror lights are better for driving and passing lights. Under the mirror or on the forks is better for the fog lights. I like the over the mirror for the mini projector passing lights. I might put on another set down on the forks for fog lights...
Very cool, I'll try to keep up on your thread. Still working out what would work best on those over the mirror mounts. A co-worker is blasting and painting them, not sure when I'll get them back yet.

Top Bottom