Dark side tar now on lipSTick

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Ben, ya don't want the first one shown, it's an early model, different on the damper side from the later years. Six finger spider instead'a 5.

I suggest contacting a couple of the trike shops, any of them should have a bunch just laying around. I bought mine from a shop in Minneapolis, they shipped me the complete rear assembly, swing-arm, brake, everything. Contributed the extra parts to my local indie shop.

Both those pics show the left (disc) side, not the differences in the hub. On the newer type, the hub shoulder extends all the way out to the disc mount surface, the earlier ones have only the posts sticking up from the hub to mount the disc.

Note, the second one says, "fits 91 to 00."

Forewarned.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Looks interesting George....

Just as a point of technical correctness... the "6 ply" nomenclature does not refer to the number of casing and crown plies in a radial, but is a throw back to the days of cross ply tyres for trucks and vans, referring to the load rating of the tyre. The 6 and 8 ply tyres were used on light vans and it was to do with the number of casing plies used in those type of tyres. The C in the size also relates to it being a van tyre.

Don't know why this still persists but there you go.....

Of course the load rating of the tyre in this case is 98 in single form, this relating to 750kg load on the single tyre.
The speed rating on the label in your picture show as a Q..... which is 99mph...... but you need to remember that also relates to the load carried.. I wouldn't worry too much about it given the whole bike including maximum load doesn't even come up to the tyres rated load.....

This won't help at all, will it.....
Thanks for the corrections, Les. I do remember reading on one of the other sites about the "Q" rating. Ran it up to 110 yesterday and it didn't explode, so... :D

Anyhoo, about 20 miles yesterday, mountain roads, a little dirt, and interstate, then thru town again, this time with passenger. No problems. I can "feel" it but nothing I would call a handling problem. I must'a got lucky with the 40 PSI (based on what some others have found), don't see any reason to change it. Does seem to be "smoother" over bumps but no wallowing or bad manners in the corners. Also, ran'er up to 110 MPH indicated on I-40 with no ill effects.

Thought I had put this info up before, but:
Stock ST 17" wheel with BT-020-M in place, circumference 79.5"
GL wheel with Michelen Macadam 160/80/16, circumference 81 5/8"
GL wheel Austone 175/80R/16, circumference 84 5/8.

So, the Austone should raise the final drive ratio (lower the ratio number) by ~6.5%. Might see a slight increase in gas mileage at "reasonable" speeds. Aerodynamics still prevail. The difference is enuff to notice it upon start from a dead stop, just a tickle more clutch. I have often pulled out in second gear, tho, so this minor change isn't a problem. Gotta check my speedo error too, as I'm also running the slightly larger 130/70/18 Excedra on the front.

Mark and others are running a 175/60/16. It's actually a little smaller in diameter than the stock wheel/tire. So their ratio number increases, might be useful at the drag strip. :D

SideBar: stopped to check on my F-150 and grab my fone charger from it at Mohave Utility truck shop yesterday. No progress on repairs. BUT...

There was a guy there who rides an 1800 'Wing. Noticed the car tar immediately and came up to say, "Man, you don't want to do that, you don't get as much rubber on the ground, the side walls can't handle the pressure, my 'Wing keeps the same amount of rubber on the ground thru turns and straight up, yadda, yadda, yadda!!" (He did say he'd run a car tar on his GL-1500 and didn't like it, so...) Anyhoo, I like it fine, will ride it for several thousand miles over the next month. I'll continue to poST updates.

Wish me luck. :D

Bike
'93 ST1100
STOC #
Pretty sure Gary (ilovethewest) will jump on this too!

Mill and lathe are available....
I'm in, went to Country Chrome this morning, a local independent Goldwing shop that does a fair amount of trike conversions and picked up a GL 1500 rim as I figured they would have several lying around. Also have access to a new 175/60 Dunlop Wintersport from a buddy to mount on the rim. Pat, let's do this.....I'm ready.

Gary

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
I been following the info and rants on a couple of the Dark Side threads and I'm interested. I already know I can wreck in a corner on a MC tire so the knee dragging and peg scraping aren't my thing. Though I live in the Ga Mnt's, if the curve say's 35, then 35 it is .. Highway that's a different animal, I know what both my ST's top out at ( yeah yeah yeah , I know anyone an a straight line, show me your 8k clutch dump from a stand still ) but that's another thread .. .. The question I have is have you tested in the CT in the 90-110mph range .. Any issues ? Reason I ask is , down shift hand full of throttle to pass and your there if your already cruising 80ish. Just curious on high speed handling before taking the plunge.
The second question I have is non-pavement riding. George, from following your adventures South of the border last year, have you or any of the other Dark Siders had much experience in the gravel/dirt roads and handling issues better/worse. I have a 1/4 mile chirt/gravel right away with a steep incline that currently MC tires get real interesting at times ..
Third and last, is the GL1500 wheel specific to the ST1100 only or is it for both 11/13 ..

Thanks for any info from those thinking out side the box, or asking, "What box , there's a box ?"

Enjoy

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I have noticed a little wiggle when downshifting at speed. It kind of felt like a seventies vintage Triumph's less than stiff frame tweaking. It must be the more flexible sidewall. It is very brief and not an issue for me.
My 1100, with a 175 60 16 is very stable at triple digit speeds and that is with a single wheel trailer. I don't make a habit of it, but I wanted to know how passing a line of cars would work with the trailer in tow.
For me, the biggest difference has been the different feel leaving a stop and turning. Not a problem, just softer than when at even moderate speed. I still feel it a little and I am at 42 lbs. It was much more my first ride at 32 lbs. But even at 32 it was fine at speed.
Oh, I feel very stable too on gravel, even loose stuff is better than stock tires.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Rode HARD Monday and Tuesday on all kinds of paved road. No problem for me. The Taxi Tar seems to handle it all in STride. Occasionally notice a little wiggle but nothing that causes me concern. Rode pretty fast today (70 to 75) for over 200 miles pulling my new-to-me trailer. STRONG w-n-w wind pushing. With a toll load strapped to the trailer and no load on the bike, I could feel it just a little. Again, no cause for alarm, just a gentle nudge, 'specially when meeting a big rig coming the other direction. Whoooooooooooooooosh!!!! :eek: but not :22yikes:. No worse than similar circumstances with the stock wheel 'n tar.

Bike is fully back to stock a the moment, awaiting Mark's Metal Magic in the early morning hours tomorrow. By this time tomorrow, I should be Dark Sided again and approaching Aurora, IL.

Anyone have a source for the Darth Vader STickers? :D

OH, and before I forget, the taller final drive ratio as a result of the larger tire seems to have helped my gas mileage quite a bit. Using 85 octane (Colorado regular) and riding gently into the night on Monday, that tank averaged 53 MPG. I've had several tanks already over 50, and the FAST ride yesterday into a headwind only dropped it to 39. I'll keep more track.

Other changes, result of the 130/70/18 on the front: speedo now reads spot on at any speed above walking pace. 80 is really 80. But now the odo is missing .05 for every mile, or missing 5 miles in a hunnert. I can live with that. :D I like finally having an accurate speedo.

Bike
ST1300
Downshift from 80 to pass? I just twist the grip and take the passing lane! Have had my Hankook equipped 1300 into triple digits a few times now and have not noticed anything unusual. Top speed so far was about 115 while in company with a guy on a 2010 C14 that thought he could lose me. Didn't happen.

Again I'll make the disclaimer that I'm not a pro rider, just a guy with a lot of miles behind me and an open mind. Decisions you make are yours . . .

Bike
'93 ST1100
STOC #
Went to my buddy Dave's this evening and picked up a new 175/60/16 Dunlop 3D Wintersport run-flat he had sitting around.........will get the tire mounted on the 1500 rim in a few days. I'm so ready to do this.

George if you go to the GL 1800 forum and get on the Darksiders section, you can get a number and a Darth Vader sticker.

Gary

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
George if you go to the GL 1800 forum and get on the Darksiders section, you can get a number and a Darth Vader sticker.

Gary
Gary, i took a peek and didn't see where to get the number. Am I just not seeing it?

Bike
2006 ST1300
The question I have is have you tested in the CT in the 90-110mph range .. Any issues ? Reason I ask is , down shift hand full of throttle to pass and your there if your already cruising 80ish. Just curious on high speed handling before taking the plunge.

I took mine up to 123 one day with the Hankook, just to see how it would do. That is a GPS indicated 123. It was rock stable...but suspension plays a big role in how they handle speed. Some have bad stories once past 100, I had no problem at 123. I doubt I'll do it again...but I have spent a LOT of time commuting at around 90 mph on one long stretch of road I have to travel. I used to average 90 for about 10 miles each morning for most of the summer...until the award giver took my fun away.

Jim

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
Downshift from 80 to pass? I just twist the grip and take the passing lane! Have had my Hankook equipped 1300 into triple digits a few times now and have not noticed anything unusual. Top speed so far was about 115 while in company with a guy on a 2010 C14 that thought he could lose me. Didn't happen.

Again I'll make the disclaimer that I'm not a pro rider, just a guy with a lot of miles behind me and an open mind. Decisions you make are yours . . .
Yes down shift from 80 , puts the RPMs in the optimum torque range for acceleration. Usually I'm already in the left lane, cruising speeds on Ga-75 (outside rush hour) are in the 80's+. Passing is usually slower out of state drivers in the left lane, causing a bunch up, which I do my best to stay clear of and get out of ...
Thanks for your info on your experiences with the CT .

Thanks nhdiesel as well ... "May the swortz be with you both" ...

Seriously considering trying this on my 07 rebuild, that currently I have a Stock shock that Race-Tech will rebuild and redo the forks and well .. Thanks again ..

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
IMG_4349.jpg
I'll see your Darth and raise ya one! :D
(Yes, I really did just take that pic, mere moments ago, at StrayCatt's house. :D)

I'll use the info the get the #s 'n STickers too, soon's I get home next month.

Now well over 2000 miles on the Taxi Tar. Running 42psi while pulling the trailer. All is good. ABS is now working on the Gold Wing wheel, thanks to Mark Kunath and his magic Bridgeport mill. :D

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
It was a pleasure having you visit George, and also have the chance to do for you, what you do routinely for anyone who asks. Glad I could help.
Mark

Bike
'93 ST1100
STOC #
Just got back from Country Chrome where they mounted the 175/60 Dunlop 3D Wintersport on the 1500 rim. It was a struggle but it eventually went on.....took 100 psi and sitting in the sun for a few minutes to seat the bead. Measured the circumference at 77.0".

One step closer.

Gary

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
It was a struggle but it eventually went on.....took 100 psi and sitting in the sun for a few minutes to seat the bead
Georges Taxi tar pops at a real low pressure. I had to jack my B'stone Turanza to 100# too

Top Bottom